UnderGround Forums

New Jersey Underground >> Black Belt Jiu Jitsu in North NJ - $95/unlimited..

6/1/09 12:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gogojeffa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey folks,

Edit: I just wrote this all out in a 'stream of consciousness' and then realized, FRAT - point is, BJJ black belt + MMA in Budd Lake for $95 unlimited. Read on if that's of any interest.

Working in finance, the last year has been damned near horrible for me and at a certain point had to face the reality that I couldn't keep mustering up the $200+/month and long ride gas money for training expenses. Since then, I have been looking/waiting for a cheaper yet legit alternative to pop up. I finally found something and figured I'd give a heads up in case any of you North NJers are in a similar situation.

A gym just opened up in Budd Lake under the Team Diesel name (formerly out of Dover). When they were in Dover, I had heard from a several people that they didn't have too legit of instruction (I also saw some students 'in the wild' that turned me off), so I passed on ever checking them out. Not that I'm some master or better than anyone, far from it - I just didn't want to risk learning a base of fundamentals that were ... not so fundamentally sound.

Anyhow, fast forward a year. A few weeks ago, I noticed a new MMA gym moving into a spot in a strip mall literally a 50 second walk from my front door and was surprised to see Team Diesel on the sign. As I already try to roll with anyone I can, I figured how could I not give the place a try? Long story short, I came to find that they have brought in some great instructors and really improved the program since its Dover Days. The majority of BJJ instruction is taught by Eugene Perez (black belt from Jungle Gym, and Grappler's Quest VP of Ops). On Saturdays however, class is taught by a talented Brazilian named Rodrigo who competed in BJJ heavily through purple and moved over to Sambo - great skills from him and a fun class. There are still no 'gi classes' as of yet, as the school is new and still without enough students. However, if we can garner enough interest, there will be *cough,hopethisgarnerssome,cough*.

MMA/striking classes are taught by an olympic style TKD instructor named Oren - not knowing enough about TKD myself, I can't confirm or tout any of his credentials, but having taken four or five of his classes, I can say that he is an excellent coach/trainer - and the workouts are second to none. EXTREMELY kick-heavy. Very Machida-Do (haha)! They have also brought in a strictly Sambo guy, though I have not met him yet.

Classes are 7:30-8:45 on week nights and 1:00-2:15ish on Saturdays, with some chick cardio class on saturday mornings if your girl wants to get in shape ($10/class, dunno how much for a package). Classes will become longer in length as students sign on to cover cost of instruction. For now though, for $95/month, no contract, you get unlimited classes. That's almost enough for me to just pay as a retainer for a place to drop in and roll whenever I feel like it!

If you're asking yourself what's in this for me?... a) I know I'm not the only grappler hurting for cash and I like to spread the love. b) haha, I just want some training partners and reason for them to justify more classes :)

-Jeff
6/1/09 5:08 PM
wopgenius

Jeff, I am from Long Valley, originally and will be up that way in the beginning of July for 2 weeks. I now live in Tampa, FL and train at the XFC facility with Professor Jerre Norton (Eduardo de Lima Black Belt, Gracie Barra) I would love to have a place to roll while I am up there. Do they have a mat fee I can pay??
6/2/09 11:54 AM
gogojeffa

Yes, I believe the mat fee is $20. Swing on by!
6/2/09 1:53 PM
wopgenius

sounds good. Will probably be july 6th or so
6/4/09 10:06 AM
gogojeffa

FYI Jiu Jitsu classes are on Monday, Friday, and Saturday as of now. They sometimes have them in place of their striking class on Wednesday too, but I wouldn't count on it.
7/2/09 8:31 PM
wopgenius

Hey man, thinking of coming by tomorrow night and Sat...What is the address there. I will be coming 46 east from Hackettstown. Where is it near?
7/7/09 2:10 PM
gogojeffa

Was that you that came by last night? I wasn't able to get there as I was driving back from Georgia, but my room mate (probably the only one there that you had trouble with) said a purple from florida came by and was ripping through most of the guys (somehow we had a big influx of new guys in the past week while I was out, ha!). Anyhow, hope you had fun, was curious if you enjoyed yourself.

-Jeff
8/7/09 3:30 PM
MADDOGG
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/07/09 3:31 PM
TTT

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.