UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Speeding Ticket Court Date: What to do

6/1/09 10:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sux@bjj
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got a speeding ticket for going 23 MPH over speeding limit. The cop that wrote the ticket marked it "civil traffic", however he let me know that he could have marked it a criminal offense.

In any event, I went to pay the ticket and noticed that the amount isn't listed. Instead it says "must appear in court".

My court date is this week. I imagine that I will go before a judge. Is this something to worry about? If not, what is the purpose of the "must appear in court"? Do I basically just say "guilty" and then they fine me? If that's the case...what's the point of requiring that I appear in court?

I'm confused by this...unless the judge can sentence me to more than a fine...but on a civil traffic ticket??

Can anyone shed light on this situation, what to expect, what to plead, etc.?? Thanks.
6/2/09 12:10 AM
jbapk
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it's just a civil ticket, then the judge can only sentence you to some type of fine, or something related to your license, ie traffic school, suspension, etc. Because of the high speed, they may decide to give the judge more leeway then the usual "x offense means y fine."

If you want more info, call the court clerk.
6/2/09 2:58 PM
goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hire a lawyer immediately..i hear bflex is good
6/2/09 4:20 PM
BarkLikeADog
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Basically just means you can't opt to pay via mail. Any number of reasons why that might be the case, & it's not particularly worth knowing why.

Jurisdiction matters but if yours is typical, the clerk is probably authorized to state the price & take the payment & thus you wouldn't even be entering the courtroom or seeing a judge. You should be able to find out about that over the phone but expect to be on hold forever. Info also might be available online but don't expect it to be easy to find.

Otherwise, you'll just be going in with a group of other offenders & the court will try to pipe everyone through as quickly as they can ding up receipts. Your fine is usually gonna be based on whether you contest the ticket or not. Try not to waste their time unless you have a legitimate contestable issue that's not obvious bullshit.
6/3/09 1:16 AM
sux@bjj
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks for the info. helps a lot.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.