6/4/09 3:35 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
drjim
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Adam Rafferty. Great player.
6/4/09 5:04 PM
jman
423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great, great playing. The only thing I was missing was a nice ripping guitar solo. That's the thing with solo acoustic guitar, it is almost impossible to do a ripping guitar solo without backing instruments and have it sound great. That's why I'm working on piano, I got too frustrated with guitar trying to do 2 & 3 things at the same time (which I'm not that good at) and still feeling like it's not filling up the musical space.

Really great playing, the guy has a nice touch.
6/5/09 8:49 PM
whaledog
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was just watching a bunch of his stuff today.  To me, he's at his best when he's creating a groove.

6/5/09 10:53 PM
jman
423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/05/09 10:57 PM
Great stuff.

This is the best I could do with only one track at a time trying to play 3 things at the same time. Tommy Emmanuel makes it look and sound so fucking easy. I pretty much gave up on this style of playing and started playing piano.

High Noon - Jimmy Williams

Slipping Away - Jimmy Williams
6/5/09 11:16 PM
drjim

jman that was very good. You should keep at it. Emmanuel does make look easy. I have his first instructional dvd and i think in it he says that it may take him 3 weeks to arrange and play all the parts for a new song. 3 weeks for him probably means 3 months for me if I can even do it at all.
6/5/09 11:28 PM
whaledog
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/10/09 1:50 AM
Jman,

That was great playing!  You should defnitely keep at it!

I'm happy if I can struggle through some fingerstyle blues that isn't 1/2 as complex.

6/9/09 12:55 AM
El Maquina

Jman, that was you actually playing? It sounded great, why would you ever give up?
6/9/09 3:25 PM
jman

I'm not giving up playing guitar, but I'm giving up trying to compose in that style of guitar. It is just too hard and I'm not that good at it (compared to the other top guys out there).

I'm enjoying the piano much more for tying to do 2-3 things at the same time. It is still really hard, but for me it's easier to try to do it on piano than guitar.

I still enjoy playing acoustic guitar everyday, but I feel kind of like I hit a ceiling with my playing (after 25 years) and I don't really think I can get to the next level with it. I think I can do it on piano though (because I've only been playing a few years and have a lot of room to improve), so that's where I focus 90% of my practice now.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.