UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> TSD or Isshin Ryu

6/4/09 11:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
truckman9
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In my buddys new town these are the only things to train in he asked me which one Tang Soo Do or Isshin Ryu oh yeah they have an ITF TKD school there he asked me which one he should go for. Thought I would get some imput for everyone....Thanks in advance.
6/5/09 12:08 AM
Skpotamus
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hate to sound like a broken record, but.... it's really going to come down to the instructor. Isshinryu should be a rough and tumble infighting art. Pretty much everything is designed to work in the clinch, the fists, the stances, the kicks, etc. The Isshinryu tournies I went to when I was younger had sweeps, throws, head punching, groin point, etc. Many of the schools that showed up for those tournies did well, but some were pretty obviously new to the ideas of sweeps, throws, punching the head, groin shots, etc.

Tang Soo Do is a lot like Tae kwon do IME. The schools I've seen that did TSD did the same Kata my old TKD school did, which are actually Shotokan Karate Kata. Think of it as kind of old school TKD, which is a lot more like karate than the ITF TKD. If taught old school, it should have good contact and realistic tech's.

The problem with both styles (as any TMA) is that if you get a more.... art oriented instructor, then you'll spend more time doing forms than sparring and drilling hard, meaning that you'll not develop skills that are functional. Have him check both out, then decide.
6/5/09 4:28 PM
cdueck
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tell him to check out both and see which one meets his needs\wants. I personally would love to train at a good isshin ryu school so that is what I would recommend. Isshin Ryu at the core of the martial art is a much more effective style than TSD or TKD.
6/5/09 8:04 PM
JesseL

I agree Isshin Ryu more street worthy upright stances quick blocks and punches. But as said before the instructer can make all the difference. But I would go for Isshin Ryu and im a TKD/TSD guy!
6/10/09 6:25 PM
JesseL

Why not Shorin ryu? Some styles of shorin ryu are effective
6/11/09 9:27 AM
Ogami Itto
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man, Skpotamus has nailed it. Lemme give you an example to back him up.

I trained with some guys that came up through Isshin Ryu and they were tough as nails - short, tight blocks, short, straight, tight punches and kicks, steamrolling into each other. But! Their old instructor retired and the art in my area has gone pretty strip mall.

Now, a buddy of mine trains Tang Soo Do in the style Sk just described and him and his crew are good scrappers. So.... yeah, what skpotamus said!
6/11/09 4:53 PM
JesseL

Kyans shorin ryu
6/16/09 8:41 PM
JesseL

Shobayashi ryu is Kyans. Matsubatashi is Shoshin Nagamine

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.