UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> 12 string over 6 string

6/7/09 10:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
wiley
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just strum songs and I don't do any fancy picking or anything at all. I'm not too bad at strumming but my singing is horendous.

Anyways now to my point of this thread.

I can't transition very well back to my 6 string acoustic after playing my 12 string. The 12 string just seems sweeter when strumming and is naturally a bit louder which I prefer since it covers my voice. The good ol' 6 string just sounds dull and lack lustered. I keep putting away the 12 string for a few days but I just can't adjust back to the 6 string, and the 12 is back in my hands within 2 days.

Does anyone else feel the same?

I would get used to the 6 string again if my 12 string were to disappear from my house for a few weeks and it wasn't around to pick up.
6/8/09 6:12 PM
Vegaschowder
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't feel that way at all. I have an old 12 string Yamaha from the 70s and man I love that guitar. Otherwise, I have a six string yamaha that I play Monte Montgomery style. You just cant do the same tricks and licks like that on a 12 string.
6/8/09 6:48 PM
Fite
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

try putting new strings on your 6 string
6/8/09 10:07 PM
wiley

I was thinking of re-stringing my 6 string and giving it a good cleaning and oil the neck as well. I'll do it this weekend for sure.

I just have to resist picking up the 12 string and the 6 string sound will come back to me.

Either way I love acoustic guitars. Especially Canadian made one's. (lol)
6/9/09 11:58 AM
guardbr8kr

Take your 6 string in to get set up. Once te action is lowered you will enjoy playing it as much as your 12 string.
6/9/09 5:08 PM
wiley

Action on the 6 string is fairly low already. I think I am going to change my strings up.

The 12 string just rings louder and fuller due to the 12 strings and once I play the 6 string it takes awhile to get used to the different sound.
6/10/09 6:45 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I get tired of the sound of a 12 string fairly quick. I'm sure it'd be different if I was Willie Mctell.
6/10/09 11:30 PM
wiley

I just changed my strings tonight and it made a difference. It brought back life in the ol' 6 string. My other strings were fairly dull sounding, and I hadn't realized until I put new one's on.
6/11/09 5:17 PM
Ponyboy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Washing your hands before playing goes a long way to keeping the strings sounding bright.

All it takes is to eat some fries and pick up the guitar to dull them out quick.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.