UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> 12 string over 6 string

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

6/7/09 10:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
wiley
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just strum songs and I don't do any fancy picking or anything at all. I'm not too bad at strumming but my singing is horendous.

Anyways now to my point of this thread.

I can't transition very well back to my 6 string acoustic after playing my 12 string. The 12 string just seems sweeter when strumming and is naturally a bit louder which I prefer since it covers my voice. The good ol' 6 string just sounds dull and lack lustered. I keep putting away the 12 string for a few days but I just can't adjust back to the 6 string, and the 12 is back in my hands within 2 days.

Does anyone else feel the same?

I would get used to the 6 string again if my 12 string were to disappear from my house for a few weeks and it wasn't around to pick up.
6/8/09 6:12 PM
Vegaschowder
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't feel that way at all. I have an old 12 string Yamaha from the 70s and man I love that guitar. Otherwise, I have a six string yamaha that I play Monte Montgomery style. You just cant do the same tricks and licks like that on a 12 string.
6/8/09 6:48 PM
Fite
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

try putting new strings on your 6 string
6/8/09 10:07 PM
wiley

I was thinking of re-stringing my 6 string and giving it a good cleaning and oil the neck as well. I'll do it this weekend for sure.

I just have to resist picking up the 12 string and the 6 string sound will come back to me.

Either way I love acoustic guitars. Especially Canadian made one's. (lol)
6/9/09 11:58 AM
guardbr8kr

Take your 6 string in to get set up. Once te action is lowered you will enjoy playing it as much as your 12 string.
6/9/09 5:08 PM
wiley

Action on the 6 string is fairly low already. I think I am going to change my strings up.

The 12 string just rings louder and fuller due to the 12 strings and once I play the 6 string it takes awhile to get used to the different sound.
6/10/09 6:45 AM
DasBeaver
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I get tired of the sound of a 12 string fairly quick. I'm sure it'd be different if I was Willie Mctell.
6/10/09 11:30 PM
wiley

I just changed my strings tonight and it made a difference. It brought back life in the ol' 6 string. My other strings were fairly dull sounding, and I hadn't realized until I put new one's on.
6/11/09 5:17 PM
Ponyboy
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Washing your hands before playing goes a long way to keeping the strings sounding bright.

All it takes is to eat some fries and pick up the guitar to dull them out quick.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.