UnderGround Forums

Australasia UnderGround >> Getting over Unmotivated Stage

6/8/09 11:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Adam Moore
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So bit of backstory trained bjj for about 8 months and loved it... went 3 to 4 nights a week whenever worked allowed,  when i moved towns and changed jobs, didnt train for a few weeks and lost motivation.

Its been almost 5 months now and I have only trained 3 times... I really want to train but just can't get motivated to go to training..

Plus when I do i get killed cause my skills have deteriorated and my fitness is severly lacking compared to the level it was at....

Any advice to get me re-motivated and attending training regularily???

Thanks in advance.

Adam 
6/9/09 2:17 AM
dojo stormer

well if you're finding it hard to get motivated because your getting bashed then in all honesty you will most probably quit again in the future even when you do choose to make a return.

training in anything becomes a lifestyle choice. you have to integrate it into your life as a part of your routine. just because you change jobs and moved towns isn't any real reason to stop training if you're really serious about it.

time management will help you to maintain a regular training regime. if you can't do that then stay at home and watch tv. that's the easy thing to do, that's why most people do it.
6/9/09 3:04 AM
bluesky

After training are you glad you went though? If the answer is no then perhaps it's time to find something else.

I hate the thought of going to train but I am always glad and in a good mood after.
6/9/09 3:17 AM
Adam Moore

Yeah once I have gone i love it but I dont seem to get in a rythm of going, working shift work where I cant head to class sometimes at night, seems to throw me, I love it when im there even getting beat it's just the psyching up to go to training I'm having trouble with
6/9/09 7:47 AM
walbjj
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well, for most people where bjj is integral to their lifestyle, then they dont need psyching up to go to training, its pretty much second nature. like people that love going to the gym, or people that get up before the sun rises in winter to go surfing, they have a powerful motivating factor to do it which overcomes the "annoyance" of "going"

i see it all the time, thats why its true when they say that for every 100 people that walk in the door, 1 will make it to bluebelt, and for every 100 blue belts, 1 will make it to purple. plenty of people have quit in my time
6/9/09 8:21 AM
MMAFun

Well why don't you try watching some HL videos or documentaries before training, to get you pumped before class??
6/9/09 10:45 PM
blakGSR
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/09/09 10:45 PM
Comradeship is a big factor for my motivation.If I was training at a gym with a bunch of dickheads, who were just in it for themsleves, I think I would be much less motivated to train.Clubs like Gracie Barra do this well. "Family" and "team" are core values and people are made to feel welcome and included in the group.
6/10/09 6:56 PM
specht69

I havn't trained at all since november due to work, moving, family etc... Suddenly had my first session again last night and feeling motivated even though first day back is always embarrassing. Things change from one day to the next :) The team and people you train with definitely make a difference.

Andrew
6/11/09 3:40 AM
Rogerology

I travel 4 hrs round trip to train, which does make it hard to find motivation to get there but I love training and I see it as an investment into myself, my health and as something I can one day pass onto my children if there interested. I also work 12 hr rosters shift work, and that is another reason why I train because it helps me unwind from the wankers at work. If you do have motivation issues, and that is your personality in general then you proly should use your time to something you actually enjoy which doesn't require being motivated. Cause if you did enjoy it that much, this discusion wouldn't be happening.
6/11/09 7:53 AM
Rhoid

80 percent of success is showing up - Woody Allen

..... a non jiu jitsu type person with a very relevant quote.
6/11/09 7:59 AM
dojo stormer

you're such a liar rogerology, you don't even work.
6/12/09 3:09 AM
fman

I have never had this problem because jiu- jits is so much fun.Sometime I am still laughing at my training partners on the way home. May you just dont enjoy it enough.
6/14/09 9:56 PM
freestyle_judo

Mate, I've been at the unmotivated stage for about 3 years now, lol.
6/16/09 10:19 PM
tassiemmaloser

Changing states really helped your regime, hey freestyle?
6/17/09 3:36 AM
Gorgeous

Try to remember why you did it :)
6/17/09 10:26 PM
freestyle_judo

Edited: 06/17/09 10:29 PM
Nah, mate. I hoped it would, and it did for a while, but I don't know what'll get my head back in the game.

Maybe it's time I accept my place as just a fan of the game :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.