UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Am I a Food Snob?

6/10/09 12:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mullet @ Heart
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Went to a friend's house for a "BBQ"...

Before dinner there were chips, salsa and nacho cheese. The salsa and cheese were from a jar.

Then came dinner...

Pre-made frozen burger patties, pre-cooked bacon, canned baked beans, etc. Everything as pre-made and easy as possible.

Doing one or two of those things, in the interest of time, okay. The entire meal? I don't think there's any way I could serve that.

I hate to admit it, but I was a bit judgmental.
6/10/09 5:31 AM
2 Giant Eggs
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol; loved the post Mullet especially:

"I hate to admit it, but I was a bit judgmental."
6/10/09 7:00 AM
Kevin Curtis
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, you are... just embrace it.
6/10/09 2:13 PM
MisoWhoreKnee
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Same here.  I'm also a TV snob too.  If I'm going somewhere to watch fights I need specifics on the TV set up and if they're not up to snuff then I'll just stay home.  Lo-def fights suck.
6/10/09 7:06 PM
crescentwrench
293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've always said that noone throwing a party ever won an award from making everything from scratch.  But not making anything from scratch?  Depends on the person I guess.  Some of my friends I'd fully expect it.  I'd also expect them passed out by 4pm at their own party.  

These are the ones whose minds will be blown when I throw a cookout.  "Whoa, you mean there's cheese inside the burger?  No fuckin' way!"  
6/10/09 7:38 PM
Kevin Curtis
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cheese inside a burger?
6/11/09 9:18 AM
shibbytastic
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Somebody being lazy about their cookout food isn't the biggest deal, but there is no excuse for precooked burgers.
6/11/09 10:50 AM
crescentwrench
293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kevin Curtis - Cheese inside a burger?

My brother requested it.  He saw it on TV.  Just cheese pinched in between two patties that you make on the thin side.  It was a decent novelty but not something you spring on someone without them knowing.  Unless you want their lip to blister from lava hot molten cheese when they bite into their burger.  
6/11/09 9:50 PM
Mullet @ Heart
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shibbytastic - Somebody being lazy about their cookout food isn't the biggest deal, but there is no excuse for precooked burgers.

They weren't actually pre-cooked. Just pre-made and frozen in a bag.
6/12/09 10:41 AM
Extendo
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First time I ever had cheese inside a burger was in Newquay, England. I took it back saying that I paid for a cheeseburger.

"Go on, bite it then" the woman urged.

I did, and a great glob of the greasiest cheddar slipped out and did burn my lip as crescentwrench alluded to.

The woman was so happy she did a little jig.
6/16/09 5:53 PM
MikeZev
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol i have friends that apologize in advance for the food they are going to serve to me because they know.
6/18/09 10:25 AM
droc

Red Devil Shop, Official Fedor Gear
You should never return to that food heathen's home, unless he has lots of beer!

DROC
6/18/09 10:46 AM
Extendo
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You make Trailer Park Burgers, so I don't think you are a food snob. You just like homemade food that actually tastes good using actual ingredients.
7/1/09 3:21 AM
shootfightermike
908 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wasa it free?

if so, stfu
7/1/09 3:22 AM
shootfightermike
908 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and make me a burger bitttch
7/1/09 7:07 PM
Mark1

I am starting to be a bit of a food snob myself.

The last "bbq" I went to, I brought a veggie tray.  I bought the veggies from Eastern Market in Detroit.  I cut them up by hand and assembled it on a tray my mom gave me.  I made some dip with fresh dill and whatnot.

People though it was some work of art that I slaved over for hours.  They raved about it.

Its cut up vegetables, people.

Mark
7/8/09 10:35 AM
MetaDevil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its cut up vegetables, people.

You mean a crudite?

/snobbed.

That's actually my dish of choice when I go to bring-a-dish-to-pass events. It's easy and healthy and I love fresh vegetables. I've discovered a chickpea salsa recipe that's a winner (these are estimates, I don't measure):

2 cans chickpeas (rinsed and rough chopped)
1 cup sliced green onions
1 cup diced roasted red peppers
1 cup chopped argula and/or baby field greens
2 tablespoons olive oil
juice of half a lemon
Salt/Pepper to taste

Serve with thick tortilla chips, pita chips, or, my favorite, fresh naan bread sliced into bite sized pieces.
7/11/09 3:24 PM
alpo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol

Those frozen burger patties suck bad.  There's no way to even season them properly. 
7/12/09 12:59 AM
shootfightermike

alpo - lol

Those frozen burger patties suck bad.  There's no way to even season them properly. 

um defrost them?
7/13/09 1:36 PM
shibbytastic
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

alpo - lol

They aren't even cheaper than buying ground beef. The people that buy them must be afraid of touching raw meat.
7/29/09 12:30 AM
tarado4
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

canned salsa is inexcusable.

I would have gone on a rampage and overturned the picnic table and set fire to the shed

I went to a housewarming 'BBQ' where they had those same budget preformed patties. On the tbale were about 7-8 different kinds of snacks (chips, cheezies, pretzels) for horsderves

I refused any further invitations for dinner
7/29/09 5:12 PM
samichlaus
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's difficult when you've been exposed to good stuff. My mom is Mexican, imagine what it was like eating tacos at a buddy's house. Envelope of tacos seasoning on the counter, right next to premade taco shells etc...ugh

Nothing like sitting down to a plate of boiled beef ribs at the little lady's aunt's house.

I hate those frozen patties passionately. Hard and rubbery. Toss a Chuck roast in your grinder it's so worth it.

The other one is the cheap husband of my wife's best friend, who brings crappy beer over every time, then drinks my Hoegaarden, Sierra Nevada, Ketel-1. I end up using his beer to brine chicken and pork. Fucker.
7/30/09 9:34 AM
shibbytastic

Where i get really snobby is produce. I grew up with 10 apple trees in the back yard and now won't even consider eating an apple out of season. I believe Red Delicious apples are made out of plastic and are unfit to be eaten by anybody.

The same also goes for sweet corn. Canned salsa is an abomination just because it is so stupidly easy to make great salsa at home.
7/30/09 9:56 AM
alpo

Edited: 07/30/09 10:00 AM
Are you guys talking about picante sauce or salsa fresca or what?  The major brands like Pace, Tostidos, etc., are cooked for a long time, which always sucks, but I wouldn't say all premade salsa is an abomination, but most of it is. 

There are several brands in jars here that are pretty good, but they are expensive.  My grocery store also sells several different kinds of fresh salsa that are unpasturized (and hence refrigerated) that come in a plastic tub, like sour cream comes in, which are quite good, but again, it is expensive (like $6 for 16 oz).  I live in Texas, though, so maybe it is different if you are not right next to Mexico. 
7/30/09 10:47 AM
shibbytastic

Good luck finding any salsa worth eating here in upstate ny

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.