UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> is a cat dumber than a dog?

6/10/09 5:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jar of flies
812 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

is pete spratt a better grappler than bang ludwig?
6/10/09 5:40 PM
matt murdock
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I believe studies show they have about the same IQ. They're about equal in problem solving skills.

I have a cat and he's quite intelligent. Completely different from dogs I've had. Cats are self-absorbed and for the most part do what they please. I can tell you this though, when a cat wants somethings you'll be impressed at the cleverness displayed to get it.
6/10/09 5:42 PM
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you define intelligence as "the ability to solve problems & learn/infer unknown information", shepherds win handily.

It is true, however, that it is generally easier to train cats to perform complex behaviors. I don't think that fits into most people's definition of intelligence.
6/10/09 6:51 PM
BackTalk
386 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VectorWega - 
BackTalk - 
VectorWega -  Cats have better natural instincts, but that doesn't mean they have as much of a capacity to learn/reason as a dog does.

Please explain just how Cats have better "natural instincts"

no offense but that statement is completely wrong, they both live on instincts not better or worse than any other animal.

Cats have a greater natural instinct to kill for food.

No they don't, stick a dog in the wild hungry and it would have no issue killing for food.

And although cats can be quicker than dogs for a short period, dogs can be better hunters because of their endurance, they can chase prey for literally miles and tire them out, something cats cannot do.

Just as there are feral cats, there is still wild dogs.
6/10/09 6:59 PM
Greenstone0
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some good points. If you go to Africa or Iraq I believe you will see wild dogs BUT no wild cats. However, the cat is smarter but the original thread question has changed.
6/10/09 7:08 PM
MmmWhiskey
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Greenstone0 - Some good points. If you go to Africa or Iraq I believe you will see wild dogs BUT no wild cats. However, the cat is smarter but the original thread question has changed.

LOL Dude, are you seriously that fucking retarded? Since when is lion or cheetah a dog?
6/10/09 7:13 PM
RyPuhnie
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dogs can can sniff out drugs, go out and find and rescue people, track down criminals, swim lol, Can lead blind people, wait to shit and piss until they are let out. Dogs listen to you!! Big fucking plus. When you come home it runs up to you and actually makes you feel good unlike a fucking cat. Theres a reason there are 4 times as many homeless cats as their are dogs, because no one want a freaking cat except crazy old ladie. (ok that wasnt based on any actual evidence and harsh)

IMO Dogs FT easy W
Lofland
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

depends on the kitteh...
MmmWhiskey
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cats are smarter though for sure... Just because a dog does more, doesn't mean its smart. For example, would you consider the construction worker, breaking his back for $40k a year smarter than the architect sitting in his air conditioned office making 3x more?
6/10/09 7:23 PM
supersonic
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Some good points. If you go to Africa or Iraq I believe you will see wild dogs BUT no wild cats. However, the cat is smarter but the original thread question has changed"

There are wild cats in Africa that are basically the same as a house cat.

6/10/09 7:26 PM
RyPuhnie
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

a dog knows to kiss ass to the hand that feeds it, thats why its so hard to part with your dog, those smart animals know how yo keep a good thing going.
6/10/09 7:28 PM
MmmWhiskey

^ So does a stripper, that doesn't make them smart
6/10/09 7:28 PM
RyPuhnie

I think loyalty and obedience to your family is intellegent.
6/10/09 7:29 PM
RyPuhnie

mmmwhiskey is a crazy old cat lady, get out of this thread grandma. Be a real man !! lol
6/10/09 7:34 PM
DreamerMMA
626 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rupture Clothing, Reg. Marketing Rep.
 I agree that cats are smarter, they just straight up don't give a fuck though.
6/10/09 7:40 PM
BarkLikeADog

"Cats are smarter though for sure... Just because a dog does more, doesn't mean its smart. "

Again this depends on how you choose to define intelligence, but: You will never get a cat to herd no matter how hard you train it. There's just too much going on socially, physically, across time, & in three-dimensional space all at once for cats to hang. Herding is the dealbreaker in ranking intelligence between dog breeds & cats simply can't do it.
6/10/09 7:41 PM
PR
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RyPuhnie - I think loyalty and obedience to your family is intellegent.

o rly?
6/10/09 7:42 PM
jettdogg

Dogs have the ability to be trained and understand words. End of discussion. For a very good example, ten minutes ago I was out back mowing, Jet was with me out there. I had his food and water out on the back porch for him, its take two hours to do the back. I walked by him and told him "Go eat your food" He stood there and thought about it for about 20 seconds and then went and ate the food. No cat would do that. They wouldn't even know what the fuck was going on, its not a matter if they give a fuck, they are dumb.
6/10/09 8:35 PM
PR
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jettdogg -  I walked by him and told him "Go eat your food" He stood there and thought about it for about 20 seconds and then went and ate the food. No cat would do that. They wouldn't even know what the fuck was going on, its not a matter if they give a fuck, they are dumb.

A cat doesnt sit there for two hours to wait for his "master" to give him permission to eat.
6/10/09 8:53 PM
supersonic
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"They wouldn't even know what the fuck was going on, its not a matter if they give a fuck, they are dumb."

People have to take care of a dog for the dog to love them.

In a way it was a tremendous example of natural selection wouldnt you say?

Dog owners get a kick out of behavior that they train the dog to do for a reward.

Having a cat is mostly void of this dynamic.
6/10/09 9:00 PM
alpo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jettdogg - Dogs have the ability to be trained and understand words. End of discussion. For a very good example, ten minutes ago I was out back mowing, Jet was with me out there. I had his food and water out on the back porch for him, its take two hours to do the back. I walked by him and told him "Go eat your food" He stood there and thought about it for about 20 seconds and then went and ate the food. No cat would do that. They wouldn't even know what the fuck was going on, its not a matter if they give a fuck, they are dumb.

lol @ you not getting it
Fraser
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really don't understand why people think obedience and intelligence are the same thing.

Must be a "dog person" thing.
Nick

Dogs:

You drive them places
You feed them
You Fix their wounds

Dogs believe that you are a god.

Cats:

You drive them places
You feed them
You Fix their wounds

Cats believe that they are a god.

Cats know whats up but do give a shit unless they want to. Cats are leaders and dogs are followers.

btw, cats taste better.
6/10/09 9:06 PM
tycoon
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

we should have a survey of how many people think girls or guys are smarter and compare it to whether they think a dog or cat is smarter.
6/10/09 9:31 PM
RyPuhnie

The whole cats just done give a shit and know whats up, they are just to cool. Really? I mean you could say that about a freaking snail, or a hermit crab. Oh man yeah it knows whats up, it just doesnt give a fuck, unlike those dogs who obey, listen and respond to their owners and training.

The other animal to do that is a monkey. But a monkey isnt as smart as cat lol... (sarcasm)

Cats are fucking stupid. End of thread.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.