UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> is a cat dumber than a dog?

6/10/09 9:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BackTalk
389 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick - Cats are leaders and dogs are followers.

Dumbest thing I have read in a while.

Let me educate you a little. Almost all cats are independent animals (besides lions) Dogs are social animals they have a hierarchy or pecking order, some dogs are leaders and some followers...in any situation where the leader, whether it be human or not, is not doing their job another dog will "step up" to lead.

That is why when you see a dog owner going ape shit and can't control their dog it means that they are not the leader and the dog has assumed the role.

Most people think their dogs or cats think the same way humans do, THEY DO NOT AND NEVER WILL.
6/10/09 9:35 PM
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I really don't understand why people think obedience and intelligence are the same thing."

There's a difference between obedience & trainability. It's the same difference between what dogs & cats CAN do, & what they WILL do. Most people talking about dogs are making that distinction. Most people talking about cats are not. Yes we understand cats generally won't do what you tell them to; that's not what we're talking about.
6/10/09 9:44 PM
dangerboy12
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think cats are smarter in ways. Dogs are just so damn submissive to superiority they will eventually do what you tell them to do. If cats were as submissive they would be just as easily trained, but they are not.
6/10/09 9:50 PM
BarkLikeADog

" If cats were as submissive they would be just as easily trained, but they are not."

That's very simply not true, & that's my entire point. People can & do train cats to do amazing things, particularly for film, but there is an end limit to the depth of intelligent activities you can train them to do.

Cats will usually only do things on command for food & once they're fed, fuck it, true, BUT that's not what I'm talking about. Cats can't herd no matter how much effort you put into their training. It's beyond their capacity.
6/10/09 9:51 PM
BackTalk
389 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^read my post above,

Dogs are submissive because OUT OF INSTINCT they have to be.

Cats OUT OF INSTINCT answer to no one but themselves.

Instinct and intelligence are two different things.
6/10/09 10:09 PM
RyPuhnie
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you cant say what cats WILL or CAN do if they DONT. I can fly...I just dont lol. A cat cant do shit. Simple as that, it isnt a choice they are making.
6/10/09 10:13 PM
EddieAdams

A INDIVIDUAL CAT RELEASED INTO THE WILD TO DEFEND AND FEED FOR ITSELF WILL,..... WILL WITHOUT QUESTION, OUTLAST A INDIVIDUAL DOG PUT IN THE SAME CIRCUMSTANCES. Cats cover their tracks, bury their poo, are more capable hunters and can escape potential predators more easily. Most dogs require other dogs to be efficient hunters in the wild....
6/10/09 10:13 PM
RyPuhnie
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"The dog is about equivalent to a human two-year-old, which means it knows about 260 words or signals. The average cat, meanwhile, is more like an 18-month-old, which means it knows about 50 words. The more words a creature knows and the better it's able to communicate, the more it is apt to succeed in a social environment.

It's not that cats are too regal to perform tricks or obey commands, Coren says. It's that they don't understand how to do them. They just aren't able to learn language and read social cues as well as dogs."
6/10/09 10:14 PM
RyPuhnie

"Despite the pleasure they provide as pets and the rodents they dispatch for us, there's no evidence that cats can do anything like this. So, if intelligence is a measure of the complexity of a task an animal can perform, then dogs really do take first prize."
6/10/09 10:15 PM
RyPuhnie

Dog for the easy win. Scientist approved lol End of thread again
6/10/09 10:19 PM
RyPuhnie

Department of Psychology, Columbia University

"Are cats as smart as dogs? Judging from the experimental evidence so far secured, the answer is an emphatic “No.” In many scientific tests the dog has proved his superior intelligence. And if the question were put to a popular vote, there is small doubt that the dog would score an overwhelming victory."
6/10/09 10:23 PM
PR
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RyPuhnie - Department of Psychology, Columbia University

And if the question were put to a popular vote, there is small doubt that the dog would score an overwhelming victory."

Yep, thats how we should solve questions - with popular votes. BTW God does exist.
6/10/09 10:27 PM
jettdogg

PR - 
jettdogg -  I walked by him and told him "Go eat your food" He stood there and thought about it for about 20 seconds and then went and ate the food. No cat would do that. They wouldn't even know what the fuck was going on, its not a matter if they give a fuck, they are dumb.

A cat doesnt sit there for two hours to wait for his "master" to give him permission to eat.

No actually he didn't know I had brought it out, he was out back before I came out and far away from the porch when I set it out. It was ten minutes into mowing. When he realized it, he went and ate it. A cat cannot figure shit like this out.
6/10/09 10:29 PM
RyPuhnie

Heres the popular vote PR lol....

There was, for instance, the experiment made some years ago by Dr. Edward L. Thorndike, a pioneer in animal experimentation, who is now professor of educa-tion in Columbia. Professor Thorndike tried to find out which animal could manage to escape most quickly from a box. Food in sight but out of reach was placed outside the bars. Each hungry animal could release itself from the box when, by random efforts, it happened to strike the latch that operated the door. Though this comes under the head of a mechanical problem, in the solution of which cats have shown some aptitude, dogs turned in a better performance in practically every test.

A wholly different type of experiment, devised by Dr. Walter S. Hunter, professor of psychology in Clark University, Worcester, Mass., aims to determine how long the animal can stick to a fixed plan of action. The apparatus consists of an entrance chamber facing three food boxes. First the animal is put through a training period in which it learns that the box with a light at the entrance is the one that will open. After the connection between light and food is thoroughly established, the real test begins.

THE light is turned on and the animal, seeing it through a wire netting, prepares to run to the proper box as soon as it is released. But now the light is turned off and the animal kept waiting for a short while. How long can it remember which box was the lighted one? Cats remembered for sixteen to eighteen seconds; dogs for one to three minutes. Moreover, in order to remember at all, the cat must keep its head and body pointed toward the box. A dog can turn away and still, in the majority of cases, choose correctly."
6/10/09 10:30 PM
RyPuhnie

IX ANOTHER still more complicated test, worked out by the well-known animal psychologist, C. V. Hamilton, the dog also defeated the cat. Four doors are provided in the apparatus used in this experiment, all of them leading to food. These doors are kept shut, but one is unlocked for each trial. In no case, however, is the same door unlocked twice in succession. Therefore, the correct method of solution is to try the three remaining doors one after the other. The incorrect way is to try the door that was open before, or to try any door more than once. How did the dog and cat compare in their ability to solve this puzzle? In an equal number of attempts, the dog required 313 trials and the cat 352. Incidentally, the monkey proved smarter than either dog or cat, with a score of 291. That the test is not as easy as it may seem was shown by the fact that a mature person needed 201 trials."
6/10/09 10:32 PM
RyPuhnie

cats are almost as stupid as PR...almost lol
6/10/09 10:34 PM
BarkLikeADog

Despite the bullshittery & posturing that goes on in your typical OG animal vs. thread, this one is particularly interesting if you have any interest in artificial intelligence/cognitive science at all. Pretty common first assignment in coursework for that field is to define intelligence. It's not as easy as it seems, but it's the critical first step in figuring out how to design & program artificial intelligence.

Replicating cat behavior is way easier than replicating dog behavior at an AI level.
6/10/09 10:38 PM
BackTalk

EddieAdams - A INDIVIDUAL CAT RELEASED INTO THE WILD TO DEFEND AND FEED FOR ITSELF WILL,..... WILL WITHOUT QUESTION, OUTLAST A INDIVIDUAL DOG PUT IN THE SAME CIRCUMSTANCES. Cats cover their tracks, bury their poo, are more capable hunters and can escape potential predators more easily. Most dogs require other dogs to be efficient hunters in the wild....

I take it you didn't read the entire thread.

Cats ARE NOT MORE CAPABLE HUNTERS.

They are different, a cat will attack very quickly and with surprise as a dog will use endurance to hunt. And yes a solitary dog can survive on it's own, they just work together because it is more effective (just like lions)

The reason a cat will cover tracks bury poo etc. is another INSTINCT not INTELLIGENT thing because a domestic cat will have predators in the wild as a dog not so much.
6/10/09 10:54 PM
PR
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/10/09 10:54 PM
RyPuhnie - cats are almost as stupid as PR...almost lol

lol.

You post interesting studies, and Im not being sarcastic. However YOU make a huge error by assuming that a test comparing a single dog to a single cat is indicative of their respective species. All those studies proved is that particular dog beat that particular cat in those particular tests.

Equally as dumb would be to take a man and a woman, submit them to a test and declare one gender as smarter than the other based off the results.
6/10/09 11:14 PM
RyPuhnie

PR
You make a HUGE error in not reading and just speaking out of your ass saying it was a single dog when it was numerous dogs and cats.

"dogs turned in a better performance in practically every test."

"Cats remembered for sixteen to eighteen seconds; dogs for one to three minutes."

See plurals mean numerous.

And Im nor being sarcastic either..."when I said cats are almost as stupid as PR...almost lol"
6/10/09 11:15 PM
RyPuhnie

"The dog is about equivalent to a human two-year-old, which means it knows about 260 words or signals. The average cat, meanwhile, is more like an 18-month-old, which means it knows about 50 words. The more words a creature knows and the better it's able to communicate, the more it is apt to succeed in a social environment."

See also when said "average" it means numerous. lol Man youre a MORAN!
6/10/09 11:20 PM
PR

"the dog also defeated the cat. "

I was talking about this one.
6/10/09 11:24 PM
RyPuhnie

"The dog also defeated the cat. "

END OF THREAD.
6/10/09 11:26 PM
MmmWhiskey
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BackTalk - 
Nick - Cats are leaders and dogs are followers.

Dumbest thing I have read in a while.

Let me educate you a little. Almost all cats are independent animals (besides lions) Dogs are social animals they have a hierarchy or pecking order, some dogs are leaders and some followers...in any situation where the leader, whether it be human or not, is not doing their job another dog will "step up" to lead.

That is why when you see a dog owner going ape shit and can't control their dog it means that they are not the leader and the dog has assumed the role.

Most people think their dogs or cats think the same way humans do, THEY DO NOT AND NEVER WILL.

lol@ your argument being an epic fail...
When dogs behave like this and take the leadership role people, in general, consider them "bad" or "stupid"... just. like. cats.
6/11/09 12:03 AM
unscarred53042

RyPuhnie bringing the correct to the thread. I can't believe anyone actually believed cats were more intelligent. Cat people are fucking strange. "Yeah, my cat knows what's up, he just doesn't give a shit. He's a badass. A rebel." Give me a fucking break.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.