UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> is a cat dumber than a dog?

6/11/09 1:15 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
WizzleTeatsv2
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only socially awkward misfits would choose a cat over a dog. I can see having a cat AND a dog, but just a cat? You might as well cut your balls off--you have no need of them.

Although I guess it's OK if it's one of those serval cats...those are fucking badass, and actually as smart as a dog.
6/11/09 3:34 AM
FlashGordon2002

Cats are actually social animals but the way in which they organize themselves is different from the pack-alpha paradigm that dogs follow.

Cats tend to group themselves into sibling groups (all brothers or all sisters). Brothers often help each other by cornering females and then running the train on them. Females help each other out by helping to raise each other's kittens.

In some ways, cats organize themselves the way I imagine a bunch of OG'ers would if they were suddenly picked up and dumped in the middle of nowhere surrounded by females.
6/11/09 3:56 AM
Mohammed

I LOVE CATS AND DOGS, I've had both as pets in my life. But sorry guys, its not even close. Cats FTW

It actually depends on each individual animal. Some dogs are dumb, some cats are dumb etc, but I'd say on average cats are much much smarter.
6/11/09 4:18 AM
PR
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/11/09 4:19 AM
ChuteBoxe360

while you guys were arguing about cats and dogs, i stole all your shit.
6/11/09 4:56 AM
jujubre
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if a killer enter your house and put a knife on your throat, the dog is gonna realise something is wrong (and defend you if he is able to)....while a cat is not gonna realise anything and will come and lick the finger of the killer if he has some milk on it.

you can tell me that it is because the cat does not give a fuck.....but I think that it is because the cat does not even realise something bad is happening....and you know it is the thruth.
6/11/09 5:00 AM
BarkLikeADog
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^Please find & post a link; every cat I've ever had was such a finnicky fuck I couldn't see it picking at carrion at all.
6/11/09 5:32 AM
BarkLikeADog
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No need to be a dick; I've got no idea what I'm looking for while you have some point of reference.

Never had a pet lion, sorry.
6/11/09 7:01 AM
YumYumPandaburger
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cast are dumber, fact !
6/11/09 7:57 AM
crobrun
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YumYumPandaburger - Cast are dumber, fact !

No they are not - FACT!! < note caps and double exclamation marks ---this indicates end of thread
6/11/09 9:33 AM
disbeliever
318 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I own a 8 year old lab/chow female dog, and 2 bengal cats. I have to say my bengals are suprisingly smart. They understand words and commands, play games just like the dog, and as someone pointed out already they get very creative when they want something.

And its interesting to watch the cats and the dog play. The dog bullies her way face first right into them, while the cats retreat to higher ground and attack from a more strategic position.

I dont really think there is an answer to this question.
6/11/09 9:40 AM
YumYumPandaburger
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

disbeliever - I own a 8 year old lab/chow female dog, and 2 bengal cats. I have to say my bengals are suprisingly smart. They understand words and commands, play games just like the dog, and as someone pointed out already they get very creative when they want something.

And its interesting to watch the cats and the dog play. The dog bullies her way face first right into them, while the cats retreat to higher ground and attack from a more strategic position.

I dont really think there is an answer to this question.

The answer is: "dogs are smarter, but your particular dog is retarded".
6/11/09 12:37 PM
BackTalk
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MmmWhiskey - 

lol@ your argument being an epic fail...
When dogs behave like this and take the leadership role people, in general, consider them "bad" or "stupid"... just. like. cats.

Was that directed towards me?

because I cannot see how you call it a fail when you just pretty much said the same thing.
6/11/09 12:47 PM
supersaiyan

6/11/09 1:08 PM
Fraser
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You teach your dog tricks. A cat, however, will teach you tricks.

Who is smarter?
6/11/09 1:10 PM
disbeliever
318 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fraser - You teach your dog tricks. A cat, however, will teach you tricks.

Who is smarter?

awesome
6/11/09 1:33 PM
sadic1
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cats are like Mexicans who can speak English, but who pretend they can't whenever you're trying to explain to them how you want some job done. In other words, cats are smarter, but intentionally less trainable.
6/11/09 2:17 PM
tycoon
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RyPuhnie is the most correct here.
6/11/09 2:26 PM
Mit
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I fucking love my cats. Easiest pets ever....they come when I call but don't get pissed if I don't spend time with them.

If I could teach one to fetch me a beer I would never ever consider getting a dog.
6/11/09 2:45 PM
Slabby

Cats are pretty awesome, but it seems like only owners ever experience that. If you go to somebody's house and they have a cat, the cat will probably be an asshole to you or hide or something. Whereas dogs are usually friendly, period.

The best quality about cats is their weirdness. They sometimes do shit like run around at top speed, flop down, jump back up, and resume zooming around the house. For no real reason.
6/13/09 11:46 AM
BackTalk
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Slabby -  

The best quality about cats is their weirdness. They sometimes do shit like run around at top speed, flop down, jump back up, and resume zooming around the house. For no real reason.

I take it you've never been around a Boxer Puppy.
6/13/09 12:29 PM
G-Hands
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MmmWhiskey - ^ So does a stripper, that doesn't make them smart

legit LOL!
6/13/09 1:18 PM
G-Hands
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, looks like RyPuhnie's multiple scientific studies have looked into this & the dogs win.
6/13/09 2:41 PM
jettdogg

Dogs can definitely be smarter than 2 year olds. My first dog was a fucking genius, everybody freaked out at how smart and cool he was for a good 15 years. Back when I got him I never used a leash for him, I taught him to heel off leash and he would go everywhere with us, on bike rides, excursions into the woods, whatever. We used to get up on the roof of our house once in a while to smoke joints, it was a cool place to hang under the trees.

We were up there one day, Jake was about a year old at this point, his mom was a Husky but he looked like his dad who was a black lab, a 70 pound dog. We were up towards the front of the house and the ladder was on the back deck. Of course he wanted to be up there with us so he was whining a bit and barking. After a while his whining got noticeably louder and we were like WTF? I walked to the back and there he was, standing at the top of the ladder trying to get up over the gutter. This was an old school round rung wooden ladder about 10 feet long. He had hooked his paws over the rungs and climbed right up, we hoisted him up on the roof and let him run around up there, it was funny as hell. We got him down and had him climb the ladder a few times, he ruled it and even managed to scramble up all the way. It was at that point I realized this was no normal dog.

A few years later we moved to Denver. Since we lived near the DU campus in a real busy area I had to work with him on not getting run over, he already had an understanding of cars though. He already knew how to heel and stop at streets so I started teaching him how to look both ways for cars. Simple voice commands and a question, "Cars?" After about a month of working on it he had it down so well it was eerie, if we came to a street I would simply stop, he would sit, look around, if there were cars he would wait, if there were no cars he would go.

We lived not far from a major intersection and it was always busy with traffic. One thing he had always done was get out of the yard and go look for the wimmins, he was unstoppable. Back in Michigan I finally figured out how he got out of the yard, we had an elevated deck that was about 8 feet off the ground, he would leap the railing and be gone, a 12 foot drop, he liked his ladies, lol.

This continued in Denver, he would sneak out about 3 or 4 times a year, during rush hour, whenever, there was only a 4 foot chain link fence anyway so I just had to keep an eye on him when I let him out but fucked up occasionally. He never got ran over and would come back hours later literally unable to walk anymore, sometimes I would be able to track him down and he would always be poking around some females yard when I did find him, I don't know how but I did. I imagine there are thousands of his spawn all over Michigan and Denver to this day. I wish I could have put a camera on him to see what happened when he did this.

Everybody I went to high school with knew him, about 10 years after high school I went back to Mich. and saw a bunch of people I knew, almost everyone would ask about old Jake, it was amazing how people remembered him.

I know FRAT, but we used to test him all the time, for 10 years straight, there was nothing he couldn't climb, trees, ladders, whatever, and there was no stunt he couldn't do. I can't remember all the stuff we had him do, he lived a long time. He would go on any type of jungle gym, go down any type of slide, it was funny as hell watching him do the big curly slides. We used to hang in this park in Denver, it was 3 city blocks in a row. We would test his nose and hunting abilities, he was fucking amazing.

One of my friends would go off, at night mind you, and hide as best as possible 3 blocks away in the park, he might as well have just stood there and yelled, Jake would find him instantly. We tried it with his tennis balls, one of us would go hide it in the most fucked up spots possible, like in a trash can that had food in it, and he would always find it. We taught him to dive and tested him by burying his tennis ball underwater, he would go get it no problem, we did it in 6 feet of water and watching him do this was cool as hell.
We also used to throw him off of a 10 foot cliff into the water, he thought this was the coolest thing ever so he would then just jump off if we wouldn't pick him up and do it. There was a reason this dog lived for 16 years, he was just that cool.
6/13/09 3:07 PM
LoganClark
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fraser - You teach your dog tricks. A cat, however, will teach you tricks.

Who is smarter?

What does your cat teach you?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.