UnderGround Forums

Australasia UnderGround >> help! Punch Equipment broke quick, need advice.

6/10/09 7:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LEMon
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/15/09 11:55 PM

IWe bought 8 6ft *** heavy bags a few weeks ago for our new gym. We decided to buy them despite being the most expensive (100 dollars more than fairtex!) because of the warranty and proposed quality on the site.

They eventually arrive and we attach them to the ceiling and the ground with an elastic with a safety chain. We check up with one of the owners if its fine they say no problem.

1 Day later half of them are broken on the base by our girls class. Not just broken but torn in the identical way and the bases are tearing to. Within a week all 8 are broken in the identical manner. We are flabbergasted but don't panic because we know they have a lifetime warranty.

We call up and the **** Equipment salesperson tells us it sounds like we misused it and people were tackling them and stuff. We tell him that is nonsense and they have barely been used before they broke. He says send pictures. We do. He says send video. We do. He visits and looks through the window (as we weren't there) and calls to tell us that he couldn't see properly but what he could see appears to be misuse.

We are boggled. This took 4 weeks to get even to this stage. Then we are told our warranty is voided. Mind you we have NO warranty sent to us electronically, on paper or email. We are told we attached it incorrectly despite the fact there were no instructions on how to attach it and it was approved by the co-owner over the phone.

We are told that in good will our only option is to buy another 8 bags at cost price, which is close to 200 dollars and still more expensive than leather fairtex bags, and sell the others off ourself. We are again shocked.

The worst bit is that our gym now hasn't been able to use heavy bags almost since it opened (almost 2 months) and it is affecting the classes and the business. We went for **** Equiptment originally coz we thought the extra price and warranty would make them a better product.

Please advise guys, not sure what to do, we have already been to fair trading but thought i would touch base here and get some advice with people with more experience?
6/11/09 8:04 AM
dave nagel
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that sounds like a real bummer. if i were you guys i would ask to speak with the Aust. manager of punch - not just the sales rep - and tell them your case.
a purchase of this number of heavy bags should come with a warranty of good faith as well as an email/paper warranty.
1 week and already falling apart is bad and the department of fair trading is probably the right way to go. sucks that punch are'nt willing to help out.
hope it works out otherwise just go to a current affair : )
6/11/09 8:29 AM
MMAFun
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That really sucks for you Liam, personally I bought a 6ft bag from them about 2 years ago, I only use it for myself and in the garage but never had a problem. Then again it dosen't apply to you since you use it for proffesional use.
The former head trainer at black belt pro Matt Gardener sp? who now has his own academy in Newtown, used to be in charge of their sales I think, he is the one who served me, probably asking him about some advice on how you should proced on this matter.
It just seems very unfair to me that they would promote tha their products have lifetime warranty and then give you nothing.
Keep us updated.
6/11/09 8:30 AM
walbjj
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hanging a heavy bag isnt exactly rocket science. they have straps at the top, using common sense, u would hang it using a chain through the metal loop, or whatever is supplied. the base usually has a strap as well, that u secure it to teh ground, again, using common sense, u strap that down
unless u guys were tackling it, i dont see how the bag could swing so wildly as to cause stress to tear it.

something aint right there
6/11/09 9:50 AM
LEMon
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

U dildo wal, it was tied at the BOTTOM, that is where it tore.
6/11/09 11:18 AM
KingOfMyPancrase

I don't think you need the warranty to be written down.
There is such thing as implied warranty, where the buyer relies upon the seller to select the goods to fit a purpose. In this case a bag to be kicked and punched and stand up to punishment. That in itself is a warranty as what it needs to do is implied by you the buyer, but I am no lawyer so take that for its worth.
6/11/09 11:25 AM
KingOfMyPancrase

Here you go.

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Consumers/Refunds_and_warranties/Warranties.html#Statutory_warranties

"Also, remember that even if a trader doesn’t offer a warranty or guarantee, the product may have a statutory warranty (also known as implied warranty) under the law. The law says that all products supplied to a consumer must be fit for the purpose for which they were supplied.

Whether a product is made or sold with a warranty or a service is offered with a guarantee:

the product must be fit for the purpose for which it is supplied; and
the service must be carried out with due care and skill and any materials supplied will be reasonably fit for the purpose for which they are supplied."
6/12/09 12:05 AM
dork22

I would contact the salesperson, his mananger, the owner, and everyevery single person that's associated with that company, and tell them that your gonna advertise to everyone on every forum you can think of, about how bad their product is and what shitty service/warranty you experienced. This will drive the company insane, and the last thing they want is for you to bad mouth their company. Loosing business by word of mouth could destroy such a company. Just my thoughts.
6/12/09 4:58 AM
BenBJJ
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like a classic case of misuse to me.

You were letting the girls class use them as tackle bags?
6/12/09 9:23 AM
walbjj
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just duct tape them up, it gives it that gritty used look

also, i can visualise how its tearing, and if its a heavy bag, and u secured it at teh base strap and u were only kicking and punching them, then i dont see how it could tear, cos a heavy bag dont move much, unless u have super chi power.
anyway, they accused u of tackling it, which could be a reason why it tears, so were u, come on, u can tell us
6/14/09 7:13 AM
sputniik
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry to hear about the heavy bag problems dude!

A bit off topic but your gym looks SWEEEET!!! Nice work and congrats to you and your bro.
You guys are really starting to build a nice little comp team!

Hope you sort this shit out with the bags.
6/14/09 7:39 AM
walbjj

hey liam, just saw the pics on facebook. the gym looks awesome, really professional. most definitely one of the best setups in sydney atm.
obviously this gfc isnt affecting u guys
6/15/09 8:07 AM
LEMon

Edited: 06/15/09 8:30 AM
Hi guys,
would love any more advice. I am not sure how to proceed. The owner has contacted me demanding a public apology for seeking the advice of other MMA professionals in what i believe to be a less than pleasant manner.

Will update the proceedings shortly.

In the meanwhile would like to hear more advice.
6/15/09 8:40 AM
LEMon

p.s thanks sputniik! I gotta come check out the boxing works heard it is badass!
6/15/09 9:41 AM
KingOfMyPancrase

Edited: 06/15/09 9:41 AM
I deal with a lot of warranty issues and escalations at work. But at my work when someone voids a warranty on the products we offer from misuse it is very obvious. It seems to be a tricky situation you are in, as it is harder for both parties to prove it was misuse or not and its basically your word against his.

You will claim the bags are faulty and did not live up to there intended purpose, the Punch equipment owner will claim you misused them and therefore voided your warranty. However they should have given you the benefit of the doubt, or at least inspect the damage more closely and more thoroughly before making a judgment about giving a replacement.
Have they offered to make a repair which is a compromise for a replacement? What did fair trading say?
6/16/09 7:16 AM
walbjj

yes, no matter how u "misused" them. the short duration of ownership would somehow show that there was something not right with the heavy bags to begin with.

i would document how the mats were installed, and document how they were used. provide video footage if necessary.
also, ask how he thinks they were misused? is he suggesting that u used them in any other way besides punching and kicking them, because thats the intended use, and would surely last more than a few weeks before tearing
6/16/09 10:31 AM
KingOfMyPancrase

walbjj - yes, no matter how u "misused" them. the short duration of ownership would somehow show that there was something not right with the heavy bags to begin with.

i would document how the mats were installed, and document how they were used. provide video footage if necessary.
also, ask how he thinks they were misused? is he suggesting that u used them in any other way besides punching and kicking them, because thats the intended use, and would surely last more than a few weeks before tearing

Actually your right, if they all teared in the identical matter very close to purchase that is very dodgy. I am curious what fair trading had to say about this.
6/17/09 10:32 PM
freestyle_judo

Liam,

Off-topic, but how much do your AdWords ads cost per click?
6/18/09 6:39 AM
LEMon

No idea man, email me Pipsnip@hotmail.com can discuss further.
6/28/09 8:19 AM
walbjj

its been over 2 weeks, whats the latest on this saga
6/29/09 12:48 AM
LEMon

Punch have given us a reasonable offer. Will update shortly.
7/2/09 2:58 AM
SyN

Sounds almost as high quality of the Jim Bradly equipment.

Two questions:

1. What is a good source of Fairtex equipment in Aus?

2. Anyone have any suggestion for a supplier of Ring Rope? The stuff that came with our ring from J Bradley is garbage and constantly sagging and we have no more room to tighten at the corners.
7/2/09 10:51 PM
DMMA

Hey SyN,

Craig Parsons runs Fairtex Australia. He can get you anything fairtex.
You can email him on: fairtexfitness@bigpond.com

For Ring rope, where are you in Oz?

Cam
7/3/09 1:35 AM
SyN

Hi Cam,

Thank you very much mate!

Our gym is in Balaclava/St Kilda area.

Sy
7/3/09 8:05 AM
DMMA

Hi Sy,

No problem. You can get rope covers from Fairtex and Joe Demicoli from Ultimate out in Airport West for the ropes. Call Joe on 9336 0266. You dont have to use covers, some use duct tape over foam.

You can do the ropes yourself with stainless steel cabling and some of the tubular foam.

Cam

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.