UnderGround Forums

Michigan Underground >> get back into martial arts?

6/11/09 1:09 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RabbiVJ
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this is prolly the wrong forum but i dont give a shit...

so i had knee surgery abt a year and a half ago and i wanna get back into martial arts...i lost a bunch of weight b4 the surgery but gained most of it back...i wanna do BJJ most likely, i may do it either @ MAU in clawson or Warrior way in Walled lake...advisable or no?
6/11/09 6:39 AM
Samuraidog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go for it. Why not?
6/11/09 12:49 PM
Crush Crawfish
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah. Just train smart and don't roll with spazzes. How's the knee?
6/11/09 3:57 PM
StephenL

I'd recommend Tabatas, bag/pad work and kickboxing.

You may get hurt in BJJ, then you can't train.

stephen
6/11/09 9:37 PM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did you strengthen your knee back to 100%? Have you been training to strengthen the whole body? stretching to make your body flexible? core exercises for core strength? Some yoga/pilates exercises for stretching? Just some basics before you get back into it. Both places would give you a free tryout to see if this is what you would like. And what place you would better fit in.
6/11/09 10:18 PM
mortician
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stephen is not very good at tabatas he always trys to one up everybody but then he gets thrown on his head with a gi on.
6/12/09 5:42 PM
RabbiVJ
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think my knee is back to 100%, but like i said, since i gained all the weight back, im not sure how that will fly, also i was worried abt screwing up my knee again, i have a brace but i dont know how much that will help.  I can say my flexibility sucks ass, so i was hoping bjj would help...we shall see.
6/12/09 8:48 PM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you let the instructor know your physical condition and concerns he will put you with others who will work with you and won't hurt you. Maybe some more experienced grapplers. You can always do a private with a BB to get the feel and see where you are at before you roll with the general class.
Sound like your conditioning and confidence need to be gradually improved. Go slow, this is a life long learning process. A beginning.
6/12/09 11:05 PM
RabbiVJ

thx for the advice...ill def look into it.
6/13/09 10:41 AM
lenox01

everyone has to start somewhere and that also applies when coming back from an injury or a long time away from training or exercising........a good school/instructor will take all factors into consideration when putting u in classes/working with u.............both places u mentioned have great reputaions (along with eastwest in canton) good luck to u

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.