UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Most Powerful song(s) you've ever heard

6/12/09 5:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mige
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Avalanche - Matthew Good
6/12/09 5:48 PM
El Maquina
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Baba O Riley is a great song. That being said, what in the sweet fuck is Townsend doing at the beginning there?
6/12/09 5:58 PM
HardCoreZen
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There were alot of amazing and right on songs listed here. Even some great stuff I have never even listened to before. Unfortunately someone listed a Lady Gaga song on this thread and negated all submissions by default.

Nice going.
6/12/09 7:42 PM
tsunaminw

straight out of compton
anything from disturbed
Master of puppets
6/12/09 7:50 PM
jcblass

Elton John - Last Song
6/12/09 8:01 PM
forrestfan
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Morning Dew - The Grateful Dead
6/12/09 8:15 PM
theseanster
243 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/12/09 8:22 PM
flesheatingbull

Grittys - 
var so = new SWFObject("http://www.youtube.com/v/aJb1_EGnapY&hl=en&fs=1&", "postVideo-26298740-Flash", "425", "355", "9.0.28", "##000"); so.addParam("allowScriptAccess", "samedomain"); so.addParam("allowNetworking", "internal"); so.addParam("wmode", "transparent"); so.write("postVideo-26298740"); Solo song by Jason Isbell of the Drive By Truckers about a kid he knew who died in the middle east. This song will tear you up if you listen to it.

hey grittys, ever listen to danko/manuel?
6/12/09 10:03 PM
NeckCranks
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Buckley owned Hallelujah. The way that guy controlled his voice. He made you feel it. Obviously the credit has to go to cohen from crafting such a masterpiece, but as far as performance goes, that song is buckley's.

The Once soundtrack is amazing. I saw them open for Damien Rice and was blown away. I actually got to meet Glen right before he won the oscar for that song. Really cool guy.

Speaking of Damien Rice. I could list at least 10 songs of his. His shit is epic.
6/12/09 10:21 PM
sourcheese
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
6/13/09 10:12 AM
NeckCranks
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On a metal note:

Cemetary Gates- Pantera
One- Metallica
Mama I'm coming home- Ozzy
6/13/09 10:20 AM
von niten
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mother Love Bone : Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns

nice thread.  I'm headed to YouTube right now.
6/13/09 10:25 AM
spg
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

von niten -  Mother Love Bone : Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns

Awesome pick
6/13/09 11:29 AM
Faxon

You Never Know - Immortal Technique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pqiqrnZE44
6/13/09 11:54 AM
gregbrady
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was on the Singles soundtrack wasn't it? That movie had an amazing soundtrack. I really liked the Smashing Pumpkins song on it too. I forgot what it was called.
6/13/09 12:38 PM
ranier wolfcastle
865 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that was always kinda powerful to me cuz i'd always think how the singer died just as they were makin it big.
then vedder replaced him and history was made
6/13/09 12:54 PM
zoies
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice, going to you tube also
6/13/09 1:27 PM
Chocolate Shatner
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NeckCranks - Buckley owned Hallelujah. The way that guy controlled his voice. He made you feel it. Obviously the credit has to go to cohen from crafting such a masterpiece, but as far as performance goes, that song is buckley's.

Man, bullshit. Buckley did a good version, but Cohen owns it with the emotion he's put into the various versions he has done of it. Nothing Buckley did with his compares to the final verse Cohen wrote for his 1984 album version

I did my best, it wasn't much;
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch;
I told the truth, I didn't come to fool ya;
And even though it all went wrong;
I'll stand before the Lord of Song;
With nothing on my tongue, but Hallelujah....

Buckley ain't got shit on that right there.
6/13/09 1:52 PM
Chocolate Shatner
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3rwo0_leonard-cohen-hallelujah_music

to show the master of Hallelujah at work. True emotional mastery, showing a complex variation to his emotions, from ecstasy to confusion to sadness and back, all in one song.

Buckley just keeps hammering the "sad" angle, and does it well. But it's only one emotion, over and over and over. It's fucking emo compared to Cohen.
6/14/09 3:59 PM
NeckCranks

In the sun- Joseph Arthur

Great song.
6/14/09 4:17 PM
uratoker2
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cats in the Cradle - Harry Chapin

Crazy Love - Poco

Both songs make me well up like a raging romo when I hear them........
6/15/09 5:20 PM
NeckCranks

Chocolate Shatner - 
NeckCranks - Buckley owned Hallelujah. The way that guy controlled his voice. He made you feel it. Obviously the credit has to go to cohen from crafting such a masterpiece, but as far as performance goes, that song is buckley's.

Man, bullshit. Buckley did a good version, but Cohen owns it with the emotion he's put into the various versions he has done of it. Nothing Buckley did with his compares to the final verse Cohen wrote for his 1984 album version

Obviously Cohen is a great songwriter. No debates there, but if you presume to tell me he's a better vocalist, you're out of your mind. Buckley is devestating in that song.
6/15/09 5:52 PM
Okkun
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Metallica - Sad But True
6/15/09 6:32 PM
Shanks V3.1
426 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Streets of Laredo (aka Cowboys Lament) as sung by johnny cash.

one of the only songs to ever make me tear up.
6/15/09 7:25 PM
Chocolate Shatner

NeckCranks - 
Chocolate Shatner - 

Obviously Cohen is a great songwriter. No debates there, but if you presume to tell me he's a better vocalist, you're out of your mind. Buckley is devestating in that song.

Buckley was immature, and merely drilled a single emotional chord in his version. This is to be expected, as it was recorded when he was only 26 or 27 when he recorded it for Grace. He was immature then. He couldn't understand the emotional nuances that Cohen gives in his version he recorded for Various Positions.

Now, overall is Buckley a better vocalist than Cohen? I would say Buckley has a better voice, a more pleasant quality to his singing. But, in this song, in the original 1984 Various Positions version, Cohen shows an emotional depth and quality that Buckley fails to do.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.