UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> Bad things about joining the Army?

6/11/09 4:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Power Clean
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am looking to join the Army and I was wondering what were some of disadvantages, or negatives, about joining the Army?

I have talked to a recruiter, and a bunch of soldiers at the recruiting office but all I hear is positive things about the Army. There has got to be some negatives to this job as well.
6/11/09 4:58 PM
Crypes
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You will lost your personal freedom to do whatever you want whenever you want but thats about it.
6/11/09 5:00 PM
eviladam
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

being killed.
6/11/09 5:08 PM
quick
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You could suffer a traumatic brain injury and then have your chain of command call you a malingerer.
6/11/09 5:09 PM
BackStep

Don't Ask Don't tell = you getting kicked out.
6/11/09 5:17 PM
Punchatoula
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

eviladam - being killed.

this?
6/11/09 5:18 PM
ptper
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You have to wear the same old outfit every day. Whateveeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
6/11/09 5:20 PM
GladiatorGannon
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

research at one of the military boaerds. and DON'T sign anything till you talk to those guys.
6/11/09 5:22 PM
sadic1

Go Air Force or Coast Guard, and give yourself a chance to get an education and learn something useful while you're in. Don't be a grunt.
6/11/09 5:24 PM
The Noose

I was in the Marines, but I am sure the Army does the same type of crap.

1. Loss of personal freedom. Its not a job you can quit if you dont like it. You have to wear your hair the way they say. Your have to be where they say when they say and do what they say or go to jail. Thats no bullshit either. They own you.

2. You wont be slaying dragons, blowing things up, and getting laid every day like the commercials/recruiter tells you. Most of the time you will be fucking bored out of your mind.

3. Some duty stations suck more than others. You mgiht end up being stationed in a shithole for your entire enlistment where the oly fun thing to do is go to a shitty bar where nothing but fat girls with herpes go.

4. As a grown man, you will be treated like a child from time to time by some asshole you dont even know.

5. You will get paid shit to put your LIFE AT RISK. There are safer ways to earn college money.
6/11/09 5:45 PM
sadic1

That's why I'm saying the Air Force or Coast Guard are the best ways to go. The likelihood that you will ever be remote, let alone in or near a combat situation is way lower, which means your chances of having a more normal life and working what seems like a more normal job are greater, and your opportunity to go to school while you're enlisted is greater. Plus, the Air Force has a lot more cushy bases and better food than a lot of the other services, and the Coast Guard provides very good odds of you getting stationed somewhere coastal and beautiful.
6/11/09 5:45 PM
10mtncombat

Edited: 06/11/09 5:45 PM
the army is not for everyone, i personally love it.. i mean i really love it. it's just like any other job, when you first start out, you are the low man and have to do/put up with a bunch of bullshit. after a while, just like any other job, it gets alot better. go infantry- you get paid to stay in crazy shape and shoot guns..easy money.
6/11/09 5:50 PM
nimitivd
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

do you like sand?
6/11/09 5:53 PM
10mtncombat

Edited: 06/11/09 5:53 PM
nimitivd - do you like sand?

never been in the sand. when i was in iraq i was in bagdad and south bagdad on the euphrates. very nice area. if it wasn't for all the people trying to kill us at the time, it would be a nice vacation spot. hopefully with the progress we are making over there, someday it will be.
6/11/09 5:55 PM
The Noose

sadic1 - That's why I'm saying the Air Force or Coast Guard are the best ways to go. The likelihood that you will ever be remote, let alone in or near a combat situation is way lower, which means your chances of having a more normal life and working what seems like a more normal job are greater, and your opportunity to go to school while you're enlisted is greater. Plus, the Air Force has a lot more cushy bases and better food than a lot of the other services, and the Coast Guard provides very good odds of you getting stationed somewhere coastal and beautiful.

This man is correct. The food on air force facilities is far and away better than the army or the Marines, and definately better than the navy. And air force boot camp is easy as shit from what Ive heard.

If you are gonna join the Army, why not sack up and join the Marines?
6/11/09 5:56 PM
gnpsince1990
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are two different perspectives.

I was in for three years, had a great time, a ton of free school, generally good chain of command, but I ETS'd just prior to Bush Jr. taking over.

I have heard that it is very different now with the constant tours in Afghan and Iraq.

If you want adventure, good paycheck (relatively speaking), bunch of guys talking shit to each other all the time (in a good way) etc. it will be good. If you want college, you will get money, but won't be able to use it till ur done, which is what most people expect anyway.

Although I had mostly good chain of command, you will get at least one true shitbag above you, perhaps more. Also will have some dumbshits above you. Generally, if you are a goo, hardworking guy it will be fine. If you need to buck authority it will suck.

]What mos u comsidering and how much college money offered?

Also, take the shortest tour possible (3 years?) as you can always re-up and you have some power to negotiate if you choose to.
6/11/09 7:01 PM
jaseprobst
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You have to be prepared to deal with people from a lot of different walks of life. If you're joining the Army and aren't used to poor rednecks, get used to it, quick-fast.

Join the Air Force unless you're itching to go to a combat zone. Easy boot camp, decent food, and it's the only branch where the officers are the only people to go into combat. There's something to be said for that. Or the Navy. You'll travel the world and if you get lucky, yer boat will hit Austrailia and you'll meet tons of women who love American sailors.
6/11/09 7:05 PM
francoistank
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

will they pay off my student loans if i join the navy or air force? if so fuck i might as well do it
6/11/09 7:30 PM
MmmWhiskey
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where to start... getting shot at by haji, traumatic brain injury, PTSD, being someones (lots of peoples) bitch, having your fate decided by someone that could give two fucks about you, your family, or your life. I can think of more reasons not to join than to enlist. That said... It takes a certain personality to do it, and I'm more than fucking thankful there is enough crazies out there to keep me safe in my air conditioned cake job...
6/11/09 7:51 PM
sadic1

Air force basic training was so easy that I was actually disappointed. This was back in 91-93 when I was in, but it was 6 weeks and so much of it was administrative that I was actually kind of jealous of the Army and Marines guys who got to do a lot more physical stuff, like pt, hand to hand training, and more weapons training. I think we got to shoot M16s one day and out of 6 weeks there, we probably only ran 1.5 miles 1/3 of those days. Every time it took us longer than expected to process, get shots, or do something administrative, they'd sacrifice PT, lol. We were doing pull ups and push ups in the barracks at night to try to get in shape. But I was able to test into an IT job code, learned computer programming, had a pleasant life for 3 years, and got out and made really good money with no college degree.

On the other hand, I agree that if you're into playing GI Joe and kicking ass, you might as well go all the way and be a Marine. At least you're part of a more elite combat group and a cool fraternity, plus you can work for Whitewater or do private security when you get out.
6/11/09 8:17 PM
stabmasterarson
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dont listen to other peeps BS if you want decent money, a new look on the world, and adventure, it is the way to go. How many movies do they make about accountants... go forth brother and pray for war.
6/11/09 8:19 PM
DevilDawg
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I was 18 what turned me off about the Army was they had a lot of bases in places I don't want to be in.

I wanted to play GI Joe, but I wanted to be stationed in Southern California, or Hawaii and get some world travel in so I went Marines.

My older brother was telling me to join the Army or the Air Force. When I told him I wanted to go infantry he then told me that I should go Army. I was like fuck no and get stationed in Kentucky or Alabama. Sorry, its no place for a Filipino kid who likes Asian chicks and lowered rice burners.
6/11/09 8:25 PM
FSMA

I'm in the AF and have been stationed with Army/Navy and of course the AF. Talking with some of the other service members they'll tell you that the AF is the way to go. You want a cush job? We have it. You want to be one of the baddest mofo's around? We have it. Be taken care of? Yep. Nicer bases? Got that too. Easier deployments? That's us. If you want to have all the quality of life things AND be a badass you can. The AF runs the gammit (sp?) when it comes to job selections. Anything from computer nerds getting the best training to Combat Controllers working with SEALs and other SpecOps units.

If you're really thinking about the military, I'd at least go and talk with the AF AFTER you talk the Army. It isn't going to hurt man.
6/11/09 8:42 PM
YVES JOCKSTRAP
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
6/11/09 9:03 PM
tonyinnewcastle

If you're hard core and want to fight, have lots of discipline join the Marines. If you want to be hard core but not too hard core go to the Army. If you want a lot of job choices look at the Army. If you want to travel alot, but just to visit not stay...go Navy. If you want a technical job look at navy. If you want a good , nice life, travel , prettier girls, but be un-hardcore...go Airforce. or Coast Guard.

I was Army , and if your smart you find a Chairborne Ranger or an AIRBORNE Ranger type of job. Either way do hat you like. I wanted an nice job skill i could take out to the civilian world and make a decent living. i got one. Some want to go to the field, blow shit up , fuck POW's (Pussy on Welfare) and party. You can do both!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.