UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> Bad things about joining the Army?

6/11/09 9:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Power Clean
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know its dangerous but I don't really care. I don't have any kids or a wife so if I die its okay because nobody is depending on me. But my worst nightmare is to get blown up and live but be missing an arm or leg or both. To me living like that is worse than death imo. I have always been an independent person I can't imagine having to rely on someone to take care of me.
6/11/09 9:15 PM
SgtJustinTeplitz
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Overall, the best experience of my life. I got Germany in my orders as a first duty station and traveled all of Europe. Every weekend was a vacation. I've been to Iraq three times for a total of 34 months and I'm a staff sergeant and just hit my six year mark. In The Army, like anything else, there will be highs and lows. I would say enlist for four years and see if you like it. Even if you dislike it for whatever reason, it's just four years and you get college money, veteran's preference, but most importantly, the pride in serving your country during a time of war. I have dated so many women it's crazy. As for the guy who said you may be in a $hithole town, he's right. Nevertheless, there is almost always a nice awesome fun town within 30 minutes. Hey, life's what you make out of it. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?! Enlist for the duty station of your choice and you'll have fun more than likely. Enlist for money and you'll see that money isn't everything. But really, do what you think is best and I wish you luck in your journey!
6/11/09 9:51 PM
The Noose

Four years in the Marines.

I went to Thailand, Japan, Singapore, Australia, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE, Egypt, Guam, Ireland (for about 30 minutes but it counts) and some other places but I cant fucking remember the names of the country.

I had some fun times. I had some really shitty times. On a training exercise in Egypt on a 107 degree day, I had to supervise 4 PFCs and a lance corporal while they stirred diesel into a 50 gallon drum of human shit and set it on fire, stirring it until it was gone. I will never forget that.

I get out, go to community college for a couple of years. Work a shitty job a couple of years. FInally land a decent job. Work my way up as high as I can go. Now I have a easy job that doesnt pay well.

I learned to conduct myself like a professional. I am really good at training new employees and I do awesome in interviews. Im a dickhead supervisor, but I get the job done. I eat really fast. I curse a lot. I have some shitty dumb tattoos. My feet are still disgusting. I dont have patience that I use to have. I learned no marketable skill in the Marine Corps aside from things that could get me a job as a cop, a prison guard or a security officer none of which I want to be.

I WOULD HAVE BEEN MUCH BETTER ADVISED SPENDING THOSE FOUR YEARS BUSTING MY ASS AT A FOUR YEAR COLLEGE.

Please consider that. If you choose to serve, God bless you. We need people to serve. But if you are doing it for macho bullshit, make sure you think it through. hat whole "what doesnt kill you makes you stronger" thing isnt always true. The poor fight our wars. The rich stay back, get more education, and continue being rich.
6/11/09 10:05 PM
SgtJustinTeplitz
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Noose - Four years in the Marines.

I went to Thailand, Japan, Singapore, Australia, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE, Egypt, Guam, Ireland (for about 30 minutes but it counts) and some other places but I cant fucking remember the names of the country.

Man, to me, that's well worth four years of your life! Most rich people don't even get to travel that much The Noose!
6/11/09 10:14 PM
quickfix
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One bad thing about the Army is that it's the Army.
6/12/09 1:35 PM
The Noose

SgtJustinTeplitz - 

Man, to me, that's well worth four years of your life! Most rich people don't even get to travel that much The Noose!

That is the one thing I will say. I would have never seen that much fo the world if it werent for the Marines. But it wasnt like I was traveling in luxury. If you want to travel really bad, the Marines can make that happen for ya. I just didnt really care that much about traveling. I was on a Navy ship and it was pretty much a floating prison.
6/12/09 2:14 PM
Judo Scott
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The worst part of the military is that at a certain point you get tired if being treated like a retarded child. There are times when this is less so than others but it will always happen. Furthermore you are essentially slave labor and once you get sick of the first part you realize how shitty it is you are owned by something/someone.

There are good things but you didn't ask for that. The above are 2 of the reasons why I got out after 10 years.
6/12/09 2:17 PM
disbeliever
454 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

eviladam - being killed.
6/12/09 2:18 PM
DevilDawg
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had some fun times. I had some really shitty times. On a training exercise in Egypt on a 107 degree day, I had to supervise 4 PFCs and a lance corporal while they stirred diesel into a 50 gallon drum of human shit and set it on fire, stirring it until it was gone. I will never forget that.

I get out, go to community college for a couple of years. Work a shitty job a couple of years. FInally land a decent job. Work my way up as high as I can go. Now I have a easy job that doesnt pay well.

I learned to conduct myself like a professional. I am really good at training new employees and I do awesome in interviews. Im a dickhead supervisor, but I get the job done. I eat really fast. I curse a lot. I have some shitty dumb tattoos. My feet are still disgusting. I dont have patience that I use to have. I learned no marketable skill in the Marine Corps aside from things that could get me a job as a cop, a prison guard or a security officer none of which I want to be.

I WOULD HAVE BEEN MUCH BETTER ADVISED SPENDING THOSE FOUR YEARS BUSTING MY ASS AT A FOUR YEAR COLLEGE.

Please consider that. If you choose to serve, God bless you. We need people to serve. But if you are doing it for macho bullshit, make sure you think it through. hat whole "what doesnt kill you makes you stronger" thing isnt always true. The poor fight our wars. The rich stay back, get more education, and continue being rich.

You forgot you also learned SMEAC/BAMCIS!!! "The Warning Order" is the most important skill you could get out of being a Marine grunt. I didn't have a marketable skill getting out of the Corps but after some tech training and a college degree, my Marine Corps drive helped me get further than many who had degrees from more prestigious colleges and more experience me. Once I became a supervisor and manager BAMCIS is what separated me from other manager. I can plan, organize and exceute the shit out of anything thrown my way.

I used to laugh when officers would say pay attention to this shit gents. People pay lots of money to get business degrees just to learn this concept.

A few years back a senior director (on step away from Vice President) once asked me what was my thought process when I plan something. I showed him my steps using portions of the warning order and explained to him that I learned it in the Marines. His reply was "Thats brilliant, I wish everyone had a logical order in planning, what you learned in 1hr class in the Marine Corps is an operational management class that will take atleast a semester and will cost you several thousands of dollars at a major university which some attendees will never be able to apply."
6/12/09 2:22 PM
disbeliever
454 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Power Clean - I am looking to join the Army and I was wondering what were some of disadvantages, or negatives, about joining the Army?

I have talked to a recruiter, and a bunch of soldiers at the recruiting office but all I hear is positive things about the Army. There has got to be some negatives to this job as well.

lol of course the recruiter is going to say nothing but positive things.

When I got out of high school in 1998 I was already training in BJJ, and a skilled up and coming web developer. The marines came to our school for "macho" day where they let guys do pull ups, push ups, gave out t shirts and told us all how tough we were. I gave them my number on some contact form.

After I graduated, I started getting calls several times a week. They told me I should help my country by using the skills I have. Asked me what I wanted to do with my life. I said BJJ, web development etc. Man they came with "well you can do web development in the marines!". I said how. They said there are positions specifically for that! When i asked how I could work BJJ into things, they said they would set me up teaching BJJ on one of their bases! Everything I said they had a positive and up beat answer, never anything negative obviously.

My family is mostly military. I have an uncle who is a master chief running a coast guard base in FL. A cousin in the coast guard, cousin in the marines. Grand father and his brothers fought in WW2. Dad was in vietnam etc. It just was not for me. But its a choice everyone has to make for themselves.

Just make a wise and informed choice and know what you would get getting into. Dont let a salesman(recruiter) make up your mind for you. You will be sent off to war more than likely.
6/12/09 2:41 PM
DevilDawg
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

disbeliever - 
Power Clean - I am looking to join the Army and I was wondering what were some of disadvantages, or negatives, about joining the Army?

I have talked to a recruiter, and a bunch of soldiers at the recruiting office but all I hear is positive things about the Army. There has got to be some negatives to this job as well.

When I got out of high school in 1998 I was already training in BJJ, and a skilled up and coming web developer. The marines came to our school for "macho" day where they let guys do pull ups, push ups, gave out t shirts and told us all how tough we were. I gave them my number on some contact form.

After I graduated, I started getting calls several times a week. They told me I should help my country by using the skills I have. Asked me what I wanted to do with my life. I said BJJ, web development etc. Man they came with "well you can do web development in the marines!". I said how. They said there are positions specifically for that! When i asked how I could work BJJ into things, they said they would set me up teaching BJJ on one of their bases! Everything I said they had a positive and up beat answer, never anything negative obviously.

My family is mostly military. I have an uncle who is a master chief running a coast guard base in FL. A cousin in the coast guard, cousin in the marines. Grand father and his brothers fought in WW2. Dad was in vietnam etc. It just was not for me. But its a choice everyone has to make for themselves.

Just make a wise and informed choice and know what you would get getting into. Dont let a salesman(recruiter) make up your mind for you. You will be sent off to war more than likely.

OMG!! I hate recruiter salesmen types. They might have web designer jobs, as long as they have an MOS code they can put you in as one. You probobly wouldn't be at the front lines you'll be at one of the major bases or at Quantico at the recruiting headquarters. Don't expect to get paid like your civilian counterpart though.

As far as setting you up teach BJJ at one of the bases, there is no guarantee. LMAO... its called starting a BJJ club on base, or joining one. Your command can deny you from starting one or attending one if they feel it interferes with your job. Most likely it won't be an issue since you will be a pogue. If you are a grunt, your command might not like it because they don't want you to risk injury unless its actual military training. You can always get your blackbelt in Marine Corps martial arts though, and you can start adding bjj it into your training regiment for your fireteam/gunteam when you pick up Corporal/Seargent.

The military is what you make of it.
6/12/09 2:42 PM
Judo Scott
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

disbeliever you turned down the Sargent of Web Development and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu position?

wow man... just wow... what an opportunity you missed..
6/12/09 2:42 PM
Judo Scott

disbeliever you turned down the Sargent of Web Development and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu position?

6/12/09 2:44 PM
disbeliever

DevilDawg - 
disbeliever - 

OMG!! I hate recruiter salesmen types. They might have web designer jobs, as long as they have an MOS code they can put you in as one. You probobly wouldn't be at the front lines you'll be at one of the major bases or at Quantico at the recruiting headquarters. Don't expect to get paid like your civilian counterpart though.

As far as setting you up teach BJJ at one of the bases, there is no guarantee. LMAO... its called starting a BJJ club on base, or joining one. Your command can deny you from starting one or attending one if they feel it interferes with your job. Most likely it won't be an issue since you will be a pogue. If you are a grunt, your command might not like it because they don't want you to risk injury unless its actual military training. You can always get your blackbelt in Marine Corps martial arts though, and you can start adding bjj it into your training regiment for your fireteam/gunteam when you pick up Corporal/Seargent.

The military is what you make of it.

Well, obviously I did not sign up, and am quite happy with my life. However looking back, 4 years then might not have been so bad.

I am just trying ot make sure the TS uses his head and not some salesman to make his decision. We are fighting wars right now, and more than likely would get sent to fight. Different times now.
6/12/09 4:10 PM
disbeliever

Judo Scott - disbeliever you turned down the Sargent of Web Development and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu position?

Well, after talking to my family who is all military, i decided it wasnot best for me.

However the guy above this post clearly benefited from joining the military. Some people are made for it.
6/12/09 4:42 PM
quickfix
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/12/09 4:44 PM
I joined when I was 17 and went infantry. I honestly think the Army set me back a little bit. Having said that I would still do it again because the camaraderie and mental strength I gained make me a better person. The diversity in the military might surprise some people. It would be fun as fuck to go back for a week, play some spades, shoot some shit, and whoop peoples ass in a pt test. The reality is though most of the time you are doing stupid shit or waiting to do something stupid.
6/12/09 4:50 PM
DevilDawg

quickfix - I joined when I was 17 and went infantry. I honestly think the Army set me back a little bit. Having said that I would still do it again because the camaraderie and mental strength I gained make me a better person. The diversity in the military might surprise some people. It would be fun as fuck to go back for a week and play some spades and whoop peoples ass in a pt test.

Yes, if I could do it all over again, I would probobly have gone reserve. It's fun playing in the field, but majority of being a grunt isn't about blowing shit up. Its a lot of sitting around playing spades, cleaning, picking up cigerette butts around the barracks, and uniform inspections.
6/12/09 10:32 PM
Judo Scott

I was being sarcastic.. I et you knew that though.. lol
6/12/09 11:01 PM
Seemore Butts
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sadic1 - Go Air Force or Coast Guard, and give yourself a chance to get an education and learn something useful while you're in. Don't be a grunt.

6/12/09 11:07 PM
Trichoke7
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One bad thing about joinging the army is that you'll be told to go to war without a declaration as it states in the Constitution, even though you take an oath to protect the Contsitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic. Weird.
6/12/09 11:08 PM
Seemore Butts
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am scheduled for basic training july 14th for the air force, I am going into the reserves.  I went airfield systems.  Everyone in my unit I am joining, has a civilian job that they got from the training in the air force.  If you want to be a bad ass, the air force has some bad ass dudes.  If you want to go in the military for the glory, go marines imo. 

IMO atleast with the air force you can make it in the real world with the training you received. I have many friends that have come out of the army with no skills that can help them in the work place. Not saying that is bad, you still have a great experience and it hooks you up with school, but think about the future.
6/12/09 11:34 PM
billid
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I see no positives in joining the army.
6/12/09 11:56 PM
ranier wolfcastle
1127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i can only see negatives for joining any military
6/13/09 12:03 AM
quickfix

+ #1 I have shot a barrett 50 cal sniper rifle.

There are a couple more.
6/13/09 2:25 AM
DreamerMMA
585 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/13/09 2:36 AM
Rupture Clothing, Reg. Marketing Rep.
I spent 4 years in the army as an armor crewman (Tank crew, 19k).

This is what sucks about the army.

Random drug tests at any time.

Random room searches.

Loss of personal freedom.

You are property of the US government.

Chain of Command can confiscate your personal property, regardless of whether it's legal or not.

Good ol' boy network/favoritism

Racism.

Rampant drug and alcohol abuse.

Deployments.

PT.

Too many chiefs, not enough indians.

Standing at attention or parade rest to speak to someone that outranks you, even if they are a moron/douchebag.

Saluting douchebags.

Living on or near military bases = welcome to the ghetto.

Females around bases are either gold digging whores, single moms that are whores, fat whores, or simply whores.

Every business around a base is designed to rip off soldiers, i.e. used car lots, check cashing places, pawn shops, etc....

Your recruiter has a quota btw, so he's probably lying to you just to get you to sign.

Other than that, it's ok. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.