UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Whats with the hate for white...

6/12/09 9:09 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
junon
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wine and chardonnay in particular?
6/14/09 12:36 PM
Mit
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think they are viewed as novice wines. It's been my experience that most acknowledged wine snobs prefer the red wines.

This really is an outsiders opinion, because I know very little about wine. Just something I noticed when talking to wine drinkers.
6/17/09 10:41 PM
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It comes full circle, imo. Once you get over the initial snobiness of only preferring reds, you come back down to the real world of pairings.
6/18/09 9:10 AM
shibbytastic
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

White wine is great in a lot of situations.

Chardonnay gets a bad rap because a lot of American wineries produce an overly oaked imbalanced version.

Try some grilled asparagus with grated Parmesan cheese and olive oil with a non-oaky chardonnay. It's a superb pairing.
6/18/09 10:18 AM
droc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Red Devil Shop, Official Fedor Gear
 I would like to concur with the last two speakers. Personally I prefer red, but white is ideal with certain foods.

DROC
6/18/09 2:40 PM
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't forget about weather pairings. :)

If I'm sitting out on the patio in 95* heat, a warm beverage is the last thing I want.
6/19/09 6:31 AM
droc

Red Devil Shop, Official Fedor Gear
 4 sure, a nice Sancerre or Sauternes while enjoying a bit of sun is the way forward.

Another reason red is often preferred is because it can be aged, white wines that can be kept for long periods or that improve with more than a couple of years ageing are rare. So not only do you get the pleasure of drinking a great wine with a perfectly-age red, you also get the pleasure of having a collection. Wine people can be like stamp nerds or train nerds.

DROC
7/1/09 9:35 AM
junon
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think i mite be getting a bit snobbish.

we were discussing wine today at Culinary School and i was getting irritated at the other students for the comments they were making.
7/1/09 10:04 AM
Mit
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When people first start to learn about wine they get attitude and it can be annoying(I had a friend who went to culinary school and had a snobby phase). Beer can be this way as well. Eventually it dies down.
7/1/09 10:12 AM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mit - Beer can be this way as well. quote]

I would prefer a nice tripel, but I would have no problem taking a Bud Light from my host.... if it is served at the correct temperature in the apropiate glassware.
7/1/09 11:54 AM
junon

i would not drink a Bud Light because it flat out doesnt taste good to me.

Budweiser sure.
7/1/09 12:05 PM
junon

Mit - When people first start to learn about wine they get attitude and it can be annoying(I had a friend who went to culinary school and had a snobby phase). Beer can be this way as well. Eventually it dies down.

thing is i was getting mad at their own snobbishness.

they were making absolute statements and were so hung up on brand names.
7/1/09 3:36 PM
Mit

It's ridiculous. There are certain macro beers that I avoid because they tend to give me a headache, but I will pretty much drink any beer or wine when it's offered. I may not buy something to have in my own house but I will usually drink it. I will drink a Bud Light but I would prefer a nice Hop Devil or a Dogfish Head brew any day.
7/5/09 2:52 AM
droc

junon - 
Mit - When people first start to learn about wine they get attitude and it can be annoying(I had a friend who went to culinary school and had a snobby phase). Beer can be this way as well. Eventually it dies down.

thing is i was getting mad at their own snobbishness.

they were making absolute statements and were so hung up on brand names.

You were right to get mad, there are no absolute statements with wine. Everything is a question of personal taste.

DROC
7/22/09 11:58 AM
bigwignj
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never knew this forum existed but what an odd time to find it. Im actually watching my chickie prepare Salmon as I type this and Im about to crack open a bottle of Monkey Bay Sauv Blanc to go with it. I love my whites but in noway am I a connoisseur even though I have worked part time on a vineyard for the last 4 years.
7/22/09 4:40 PM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bigwignj - Never knew this forum existed...

Welcome to the House Wife Ground!
7/28/09 9:50 AM
droc

Kevin Curtis - 
bigwignj - Never knew this forum existed...

Welcome to the House Wife Ground!

I wish, if my missus was nearly as good a cook as me my life would be much easier.

DROC
10/19/09 1:55 AM
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only white I look down on is Zinfandel
10/19/09 11:56 AM
Mullet @ Heart

^ Not white.
10/21/09 1:03 PM
DaCrusher
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mullet @ Heart - It comes full circle, imo. Once you get over the initial snobiness of only preferring reds, you come back down to the real world of pairings.

nothing more true about this could be said.
10/22/09 3:58 PM
cycklops
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was drinking a little Pinot Grigio last night and just happened upon it going very well with plain almonds. It was a good combo.
10/22/09 10:30 PM
junon

i gotta have oak.

Pinot Grigio and Sauvingon Blanc are way too much like sugar fruit water for my tastes.

however i havent tried any French versions yet. so far the French stuff all tend to be more vegetal than fruity.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.