UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> Hammock Camping

6/15/09 8:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
tadpole
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm looking into buying a Lawson Camping Hammock. Looks like a good rig for backpacking. I'm just wondering if anyone has any feedback to share on this, or any similar rig... or hammock camping all together. Seems like a great way to go, this way you don't have to find a decent flat spot to pitch a tent, or pack a mat thus saving on pack weight, also no worries about wrecking/effecting the underlying vegetation. The nice thing I like about the Lawson rig is that it works as a camp chair via the side entry, and a bivy if you can't find a couple of sturdy trees ie. on a beach or such. Any info, likes, dislikes, similar but better product suggestions would be appreciated.
11/25/09 12:34 AM
LoganClark
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You'll just bring a tarp to stop rain then?
11/25/09 8:45 PM
WidespreadPanic

We used to use net hammock camping all the time. I'd use a mummy bag with a down fill which would protect against getting cheese sliced by the netting. You can easily get models with netting and a tented roof from one of the mail order companies. It's pretty easy to find two trees or poles or one tree and the roof rack of your car for set up. (pre test because some roof racks aren't that well anchored). It can be uncomfortable if you aren't fairly lean, I'd guess and you can't change position very well.

I think one of the better methods up from tent camping is to use one of those SUV/hatchback tent extenders. You put down the tailgate and put on the extender which has a roof and side flaps and netting and fold down your seats and you can fit a six-footer easily.

I saw one show on the Travel Channel about tear-drop trailers. It's a bed area and a fold open hatch in the back with a campstove and stuff. Looks pretty sweet.

12/7/09 1:57 AM
tudorantin

tadpole - I'm looking into buying a Lawson Camping Hammock. Looks like a good rig for backpacking. I'm just wondering if anyone has any feedback to share on this, or any similar rig... or hammock camping all together. Seems like a great way to go, this way you don't have to find a decent flat spot to pitch a tent, or pack a mat thus saving on pack weight, also no worries about wrecking/effecting the underlying vegetation. The nice thing I like about the Lawson rig is that it works as a camp chair via the side entry, and a bivy if you can't find a couple of sturdy trees ie. on a beach or such. Any info, likes, dislikes, similar but better product suggestions would be appreciated.

I've done some extensive hammock camping when hiking along the AT. Suffice it to say, I've spent 3 months hammock camping (straight) in this year alone. You should check out Speer Hammocks and Hennessey Hammocks. These are great, and I swear by my HH Ultra-lite Asym. Less than 2 pounds, sets-up in less than 3 minutes, can dry/wet camp set up, and never ever have to worry about ground conditions or sloping. It also makes for great Leave No Trace in the backwoods; more so than typical tenting/tarping.

The only "issue" is staying warm in cooler temperatures. This can easily be solved in a variety of ways. For great information check out http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104
and
http://www.hammockforums.net/

Happy Hanging!
1/27/10 1:21 AM
LoganClark
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I happened to get a nice, compact hammock for christmas. I'll get out with it this summer, and get a nicer one if I start to enjoy the style.
7/22/10 4:01 PM
LoganClark

Slept a few nights in hammocks while out camping in the BWCA last month. Got out set up outside my tent at my farm camp, but a buddy sleeps in it more often than I do.
7/22/10 4:01 PM
LoganClark

Mosquitoes can be an issue.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.