UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> So, am I a blues man yet?

6/22/09 4:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
whaledog
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/22/09 4:02 PM
sreiter - the version i learned was from stefan grossman during a lesson i had with him, but its the same as you can find in his books/vids

it doesnt have as many bass notes as HB's, and there are a few less notes -

i've been lpaying electric exclusively for the past 2-3 years, so i'm not as sharp - but i'll record a few tunes and throw them on soundclick - well i'll record a verse or two

FWIW, Fred Sokolow taught me the version I'm learning.   I'm taking lessons with him.

6/22/09 6:13 PM
sreiter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i have a book by fred -

if i ever get back to LA - i was thinking of taking some pedal steel lessons from him

i called him years ago - stefan gave me his number
6/22/09 7:03 PM
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I put it down on my old cassette 4 track using my Gibson ec-30, a sure sm 58 and messed with it on samplitude. It is rough and raw. I have a new tascam dr 7 digital recorder. I`ll put something new up with my Martin (love that guitar).

Sreiter- no it`s correct as is ;).

I`ve not met either of those fellas though I`ve had some of their instructional stuff. I had a record of Grossman`s when I was a teenager eons ago. I learned from Roy Bookbinder mainly, and I`ve met Woody Mann a couple of times. Mary Flower is a good friend (she has a couple of great dvds out). My friend Patrick Sweeney has taught at thunder ranch in the past. He is a damn good picker and I got to play with him just a couple of weeks ago.
6/22/09 9:47 PM
sreiter

i remember the woody story i think - u had a dobro ?

did roy teach you direct? saw him play in a book store in boston - really goos player - even better comedian - in between every song was a funny ass story - especially about his days learning for rev davis

funny how many people learned from rev - even back as far as 30's(blind boy fuller) - Stefan Grossman, David Bromberg, Roy Book Binder, Woody Mann, Nick Katzman, Dave Van Ronk, Tom Winslow, and Ernie Hawkins

i think rory block learnt from stefan. I know they were friends and lived close in NYC when she was growing up , and she drove to cali with him when she was like 14 - she was already a monster player if wut i read is correct
6/22/09 10:43 PM
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes I learned from Roy starting about 1984. I also hung out in Helena Arkansas alot and got to play with Robert Lockwood Jr, Johnny Shines, John Hammond Jr, Albert King, Honeyboy Edwards and a mess of other dead and not so dead blues guys. In the pic section of my myspace is a pic of Roy, Frank Frost (famous dead delta blueys guy) and yours truly in the early 1990`s.

I had a brass/chrome dobro, but I also had a 1929 National Duolian.
6/22/09 11:38 PM
sreiter

WOWOWWOWOW

very nice -

the dobro thing i was speaking of was IIRC , you were playing with woody, and you got out the dobro and he told you to throw it away and play wood, or something along those lines
9/2/09 4:47 PM
whaledog
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/02/09 4:48 PM
Hillbilly - I love Mance! Here is my version of come back baby recorded about 5-6 years ago..

http://www.myspace.com/ragtimered

Hillbilly,

I just got a copy of a CD with Dave Van Ronk playing Come Back Baby.  Now I know what inspired your version.  :)

I'm thinking of learning the Dave van Ronk version, too.

9/3/09 11:12 PM
Hillbilly

I listened to Dave Van Ronk a whole bunch when I was a youngen`. :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.