UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DW Wants Franklin to make run at 205 title

6/16/09 11:59 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
UG News
1294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News

"(Rich Franklin) is gonna fight (Mike) Swick at 170." That was UFC president Dana White's response at the post-fight press conference to questions of what was next for Rich Franklin after the former middleweight champion's unanimous decision victory over Wanderlei Silva at UFC 99 in Germany this past weekend.

That comment was quite obviously made in jest, referring back to Swick's earlier comments that he wanted bigger fights after four-straight victories in the welterweight class.

In all seriousness, the UFC president intends for Franklin to move right back up from the 195-pound catchweight fight with Silva and remain in the light heavyweight division. "We want Rich to stay at 205 pounds. He's gonna stay in the 205-pound division and take a run at the title," said White, addressing a class that has seen its title change hands four times in the past two years.

read full article...

6/16/09 12:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mrbrownfolks
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The top 5 guys at lhw would murder him unfortunately. His best bet would be to get canned up to a shot at then a big payday for the loss.
6/16/09 12:03 PM
OriginalTUFer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just like Wanderlei would?

Rich can take anyone, 'cept maybe Forrest. Forrest is Rich, but much larger. He would be his toughest test.

As for Machida, Rich already said that he could do it but it'd be a boring fight. Rich would take Machida to a close decision, he'd just need some luck to get the nod.
6/16/09 12:04 PM
Brigham
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Results4Real.com Low Price Supps!, Owner- Click Here!
 I think Franklin has a very good shot at becoming champion at 205. Yes, that does mean I think he could potentially beat Machida in a rematch.
6/16/09 12:05 PM
forrestfan
375 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nothing to do with a title run, but Bonnar seems like a very even fight for Rich
6/16/09 12:08 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
If he can beat Wand, he can hang w/ the 205'ers no prob.
Nonlinear

Franklin has already gotten a taste of the straight left. He didn't like it.
B_Goetz

I don't see Franklin getting anywhere near the 205 title.
OriginalTUFer

O, precious. He hasn't lost to anyone not named Anderson and Machida. Please be more respectful in the future.
6/16/09 12:10 PM
Domingo
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Rich is stuck in a bad position no matter what. He doesn't have the power for 205 and right now I think the competition at 185 is so good that he might not even be #2 any longer. He'll never get the belt again without a little luck (aka. someone like Maia beating Silva and earning an immediate title fight).
Rich is just in a bad situation.
6/16/09 12:11 PM
OriginalTUFer

The first time, Rich fought him with very little respect. This time, he will fight the perfect strategy and will go to a decision or catch Lyoto. 
6/16/09 12:16 PM
Fugazi

There are a ton of interesting fights waiting for Rich at 205 besides a potential rematch with Machida.

I can't wait to see who they line up first for Franklin. Personally, I'd like to see him and Luiz Cane go at it next.
6/16/09 12:18 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

FightMatrix.com, MMA Rankings
 Machida would do Franklin just like he did the first time around. 
6/16/09 12:21 PM
MNFAN

Rich has to work more on his ground game. Right now at 205 there is a serious lack of ground fighters. I think if Rick made some serious leaps in his wrestling and subs, with his striking he would be a much more legit threat.
6/16/09 12:22 PM
PJ Benn Fan
296 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How the hell does this work if Silva is also making a run at 205?

If Silva destroys Forrest, whihc couold happen, wouldnt that put him in the picture as a legitmate contender?

And please dont not tell me Rich has anything for Machida.
If it goes to decision, it will be due to Machida dictating the pace. If it ends, it will be Rich going in for a third reconstruction of his nose.
6/16/09 12:22 PM
Gullivers Travels
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't see him becoming champ but there are some good fights.
6/16/09 12:25 PM
disbeliever
530 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PJ Benn Fan -  How the hell does this work if Silva is also making a run at 205?

If Silva destroys Forrest, whihc couold happen, wouldnt that put him in the picture as a legitmate contender?

If it goes to decision, it will be due to Machida dictating the pace. If it ends, it will be Rich going in for a third reconstruction of his nose.

Far as i know anderson is not making a run at the title. As long as lyoto has the belt he has said it belongs to lyoto.

Now if someone took it form lyoto i could see anderson "avenging" him
6/16/09 12:25 PM
QueenEstherDidMeDirty
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Franklin has a shot at the LHW championship then ASilva could own that division too.
6/16/09 12:33 PM
hubris
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rich has nothing on Lyoto
6/16/09 12:35 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

FightMatrix.com, MMA Rankings
CRE - 
Herring In A Fur Coat -  Machida would do Franklin just like he did the first time around. 

Which would mean Franklin would land more strikes in 10 minutes than every single fighter in the UFC that Machida has fought combined?
Which would mean the fight ends with Franklin laying on his back staring at the ceiling.

6/16/09 12:36 PM
PJ Benn Fan
296 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

disbeliever - 
PJ Benn Fan -  How the hell does this work if Silva is also making a run at 205?

Far as i know anderson is not making a run at the title. As long as lyoto has the belt he has said it belongs to lyoto.

Now if someone took it form lyoto i could see anderson "avenging" him
OK I see.
But then they really have a problem if Anderson beats Griffin and the next guy who fights him at 185.

What the hell do you do with him?

There are soem decent fights for Rich at 205, but I just dont see him gettign past teh upper echelon guys.

6/16/09 12:37 PM
Jacinto
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can see Franklin making some noise at 205. I think he could definitely beat Forrest and give Rampage a run for his money.
6/16/09 12:45 PM
dhughes
471 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rich will do well at 205. He's not beating Machida though.
6/16/09 1:01 PM
UncleGrappler
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Either way, as long as Rich is actively fighting top guys, it makes for good fights. From Dana's perspective, he's the ideal employee too, so he'll get treated well, as he should.
6/16/09 1:04 PM
orcus

Edited: 06/16/09 1:04 PM
  Rich still being underestimated. Some of it is the foolish stock put in the completely arbitrary weight divisions, and some is just Franklin always being downplayed for some reason.

Why would the top 5 at LHW "murder" him? Rashad is presumably one of those top 5 and he arguably should have lost to Bisping, who has certainly not yet shown himself to be on Franklin's level at any weight.

Especially if he makes it to a title fight, only Forrest seems to be able to work as hard as Rich does for five rounds, and I think Rich has a better chin/recovery than Forrest does, and comparable skills.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.