UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Tenant's Rights Question

6/17/09 5:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kostakio
455 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's the scenario:

I am selling my house and told my tenant (rents upstairs from us) about it. A day later (June 12th) she tells us that she found an apartment and that she'll be out by July 1st and wants her deposit back. I said, "Umm, no problem on the deposit but I think I'm going to need 30 days notice." She tells me that "it's almost 30 days" and I am like "sorry, no". After she pouts like a baby for a bit she's like "okay, fine".

Now, here's the problem:

I have a prospective buyer who really wants to see her apartment this Sunday so I called her up and left her a message to notify her that I would be showing it. So she calls up and is like "Sunday is no good for me, etc. and I prefer to be home". I (politely) explained to her that this Sunday is literally the only day he can come by to inspect the apartment because of where he lives and his work schedule (he works only at night). So after a back and forth of me assuring her that no foul play would ensue in her apartment, she tells me "it is my right to decline, but I will think about it".

Now, my question is, is it really her right? I was under the assumption that I am allowed to give her 24 hours notice (written?) whether she is present in her apartment or not. I live in New York (Long Island), btw. Personally, I think she's just being vindictive because I won't let her give me 18 days notice...
6/17/09 5:12 PM
Kostakio
455 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In case it matters, her lease expired long ago.
7/23/09 5:18 PM
J Flip
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stop being a dick to your tenants.

what state are you in?
7/24/09 6:08 PM
LiveWire
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Offer her deposit back if the guy buys the place.

Always play nice with the tenants. It's more important to sell the property than to worry about a few hundred dollars.
7/24/09 7:38 PM
Fake Pie
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So you wouldn't budge on a matter of a few days and now you are mad that she is also being unreasonable?
8/1/09 4:04 AM
Kostakio

Shut you mouth call me Dana White!
8/3/09 3:04 AM
piratepirate
613 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kostakio - 

Now, my question is, is it really her right? I was under the assumption that I am allowed to give her 24 hours notice (written?) whether she is present in her apartment or not. I live in New York (Long Island), btw. Personally, I think she's just being vindictive because I won't let her give me 18 days notice...

You're required to give written notice.
Send her a letter letting her know you will be showing it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.