UnderGround Forums

TravelGround >> Raleigh, NC - As a place to live...

6/17/09 5:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Road Warrior Fin
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To keep things short

I can stay with the company that wanted to lay me off but my options are Raleigh, Orlando and Houston.

I'd prefer Raleigh since I have family not too far out and the RTC area could lead to very good connections.  How is the cost of living, home prices?  What can I get for 215k out there?

-Fin
6/17/09 5:41 PM
Nelson
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We have an office in Greensboro. The GM there transfered from Miami. He sold his house for $275,000 and bought a house for $200,000 that had about 5,000sq ft more than the one he sold, he pays half of what he did for schooling for his kids and his wife probably won't work for the next 6 months while they get settled in and he's good with it....

not sure how far it is from Raleigh but it would seem it's not that bad in NC....
6/17/09 5:48 PM
JudoWoman
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Check out Craigslist for some ideas..

wow.. $1095 for this house.. not bad..not bad at all.. cute little house..

6/17/09 5:49 PM
Pratty
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my sister lives there. In five points
6/17/09 6:10 PM
Road Warrior Fin
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ArtV -  Fin, what about your family and friends?

just asking

I have extended family 2 hours away in Winston-Salem.  My parents are the ones in TN and my bro and sis are on the West Coast.  Yea, leaving my friends would suck but if I didn't leave for the USAF back then, my life would have not changed for the better.

"To get things you've never had you have to do things you've never done"

6/17/09 7:56 PM
snigglefish
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've lived in Raleigh since 1989. Nice place to live.

IMO your biggest question is going to be where in Raleigh you want to live. The Raleigh area also includes bedroom (woodshed?) communities like Johnston County, Zebulon or Wake Forest. You get more for your money there but of course put up with longer commutes and more distance from recreation.

I live in North Raleigh and am happy here....rarely 20-25 minutes from anything.

Cary is also nice and a little pricier than Raleigh but the school situation may be better.

Depending on the ages of your kids your biggest choice will be affected by school systems and this can be tricky. Wake county school system is a social engineers dream with busing and school re-assigments an ever present threat as they try to eliminate the "achievement gap". There are only two ways to eliminate the gap ...bring one group up ...or failing that....bring the other group down some. I have had Wake county teachers tell me they've punted and gone to plan B. We put our kids in private school.
6/17/09 8:03 PM
snigglefish

We had neighbors who's son was in a kindergarten class at the elementary school near us. Somehow they screwed up the balancing act and ended up with 30% ESL in his classroom and another 30% native but on the free lunch program. When half the kids in the class have never had a book read to them before not much learning is going on. In Wake county it doesn't matter where you live ... you are at the whims of the school board unless you go private or charter. Charter schools are flooded ... 6 out of 600 were to be chosen when we looked into it.

I watch people move here and try to figure out where they want to live in one weekend with a realtor. I'd almost suggest renting for awhile and getting the lay of the land if possible before buying a house.
6/17/09 8:04 PM
The Double Deuce

^^ My cousin teaches in Wake, I thought he was fucking kidding me when he told me they bus kids out of good neighborhoods and send them to the ghetto, then bus kids from the ghetto to good schools. Basically he said this has destroyed what few decent schools they had.

I have been to Carry a few times where he lives and it seems like a decent area. Lots of eating places and shopping. Nothing like NY, but still decent.

Whatever you do stay clear from Orlando. That area sucks.

I know little about Houston, but most people have positive things to say about Texas when moving their from other states.
6/17/09 8:13 PM
JimmersonzGlove
480 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hear North Carolina is a great...WOOOOOOO!!!...place to live.
6/17/09 10:58 PM
mennis65
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

snigglefish - 
I watch people move here and try to figure out where they want to live in one weekend with a realtor. I'd almost suggest renting for awhile and getting the lay of the land if possible before buying a house.

My wife and I moved down here in 2003 from DC and we did exactly that. We rented a house in Quail Ridge near Falls of Neuse and Millbrook and about a year later we bought a house in Wendell (actually North of 64).

We love it down here.
6/17/09 11:11 PM
snigglefish

My brother and parents now live in Zebulon.

I know there are deals on houses to be had out there. Have a co-worker who lives in Pittsboro (about 45 min from RTP) and he bought a horse farm setup on 5 acres and paid 350 and figures he could get 250 now.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.