UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> Just bought a tree

6/18/09 10:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cycklops
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We live in the desert. Front yard is well maintained well but very plain. We wanted a tree in the front yard to soften up the look as well as provide shade. It's called a Royal Empress Tree. Aparently grows fast and in the beginning the leafs are quite large. It's a flowering tree.

This is how it arrives.

6/21/09 4:23 PM
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Those things can grow around 12' per year, they make a really nice tree but because they grow so fast they are a pretty soft wood.  Not a big deal but it makes them break a lot more easily in high wind than a slower growing tree.

6/21/09 6:16 PM
cycklops
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good info. We don't have too many days a year here that the wind gets too crazy. Good info.
1/11/11 3:29 PM
cycklops

I should update. This tree died before I could even plant it. Completely my fault though I blame my mother-in-law. Her being an expertin tree planting she brought something up. She did it in her passive aggressive way and I bought into it by doing nothing. I waited for her to leave so I could plant the tree the way I saw fit and by then I had waited too long.

We bought another tree. A Mulberry. Planted it last summer. It's grwon a little so far and it looks like it's gonna take.
5/21/12 1:25 PM
cycklops

The tree took
5/20/13 7:48 AM
cycklops

The tree is groing well. The trunk has doubled in diameter

7/2/13 2:21 PM
Lynchman
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have awful luck with brushes, no matter what I try, I seem to kill them off.

I do have a delightfully odd tree in my front year: A weeping White Pine.
11/12/13 3:56 PM
someonestolemysocks
347 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

photo that-makes-me-moist_zpsaa78d696.jpg

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.