UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Cro Cop vs. Mighty Mo

6/18/09 1:59 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
UG News
1294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News

Less than a week after apparently snubbing the UFC for Japanese mixed martial arts promoter Dream, Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic has agreed to fight Siala "Mighty Mo" Siliga on July 20 in Saitama, Japan, a source familiar with negotiations for Dream 10 told SI.com Wednesday.

Aided by an inadvertent poke to the eye, Filipovic, 34, defeated Mostapha Al-Turk (6-5) midway through the first round of their UFC 99 fight in Cologne, Germany, last Saturday. Afterward, the popular Croatian striker, best known for capturing Pride's 2006 open-weight grand prix tournament and going the distance against Fedor Emelianenko, reportedly informed UFC president Dana White that he planned on signing a three-fight deal to compete in Dream.

read full article...

6/18/09 2:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EvilMaster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's such a shame that Mirko turned out to be a lying douche bag. I just can't get behind a guy who isn't a man of his word. Such a dirty thing he did. Very douchey.

VERY!
6/18/09 2:10 PM
nostripewhite

Fuck Cro Cop.
6/18/09 2:12 PM
Mad Xyientist
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL....what an asshole fighter for wanting to fight more frequently.   Us fight fans would prefer you collect dust than fight again in a month! 
6/18/09 2:17 PM
Brigham
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Results4Real.com Low Price Supps!, Owner- Click Here!
 LOL @ the Cro Cop hate. Makes no sense.
6/18/09 2:17 PM
EvilMaster

Blah...Defending Mirko at this point is ridiculous. As a man he has proven to be dishonest. That's all there is to it, in black and white. He is full of shit and has no honor. When you make an agreement, you follow through. When you give your word, you keep it. That's the rules.
6/18/09 2:19 PM
Haulport

EvilMaster - It's such a shame that Mirko turned out to be a lying douche bag. I just can't get behind a guy who isn't a man of his word. Such a dirty thing he did. Very douchey.

VERY!
EM you have turned into a UFC shill.....it makes me very sad....
6/18/09 2:20 PM
aj4

Edited: 06/18/09 2:20 PM
Brigham -  LOL @ the Cro Cop hate. Makes no sense.agreed. I dont get it...."hes dishonest"? . . . meh. Hes a good fighter. Lets just hope he fights some real tough competition like Overeem.

"no honor"
"liar"

...people need to stop
6/18/09 2:24 PM
bonersaurus
181 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mirko was brought in to bring fans to the show.  No matter what Dana says he definitely knew this was a possibilty and I don't think it really shocked him.  He now has an excuse to not sign Fedor to a one fight deal.
6/18/09 2:25 PM
molsonman
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EvilMaster - When you make an agreement, you follow through.

He signed a contract for one fight. Last weekend he fulfilled his side of the deal. He has no obligation to resign with the UFC.
6/18/09 2:26 PM
palerider101
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cancel Christmas
6/18/09 2:26 PM
EvilMaster

The UFC couldn't afford me.

Mirko screwed us. That's why I am pissed. This fucker got what no man has EVER gotten from the UFC. A 1 fight deal!...That means, that Dana more than likely was ready to give Fedor a one fight deal.

But now that Mirko screwed him with this premeditated screw job of his. Like a typical fucking politician. There is NO WAY that Dana will ever do a one fight deal again.

So...Because of this absolute douche bag move by Mirko. We will probably never see Fedor in the Octagon.

Not to mention him lying through his friggin teeth in interviews made for "US" the fans. I mean...Unbelievable.

Again...I repeat...The oldest man law in the books. Going back to early friggin Egypt was broken by Mirko...."We meet upon the level...And we part upon the square".
6/18/09 2:31 PM
FloridaStriker

i can understand both sides. Can't blame Dana for being pissed it was pretty fucked up. But cro cop is no spring chicken i cannot blame him for not wanting to wait around as he gets older. Three fights a year?
6/18/09 2:34 PM
Zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I harbor no ill will toward Cro Cop. Was I excited to see him back in the UFC? Hell ya. Is it remotely possible that they can get him 3 fights before the end of the year? No way. They don't work that way. He made a business decision. Happens all the time in sports.

So, we might get to see him fight one, maybe (big maybe) two, quality opponent between now and the end of the year. That's all the UFC would have offered.

6/18/09 2:34 PM
nostripewhite

I don't think Fedor would have gotten a 1 shot deal. Remember, from Dana's perspective he expected it to be a longer deal. Not the same as bringing in Fedor for 1 fight.
6/18/09 2:38 PM
JimmersonzGlove
574 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He wanted to fight more frequently and is getting it. Can't blame the guy. Mo is a dangerous matchup.
6/18/09 2:44 PM
JimmersonzGlove
574 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Dana more than likely was ready to give Fedor a one fight deal."

Yeah right. Cro Cop was given a 1 fight last minute deal to help move tickets in Germany and it worked. He was the most popular guy on the card.

Now I don't know how much he got paid, or whether his pay check would be worth it for domestic shows & PPV buy rates, but if they are trying to move into different European markets and he puts asses in seats, I don't see why UFC wouldn't want to throw him a 1 fight deal and a non contender a couple times a year for mainland Europe shows.
6/18/09 2:48 PM
goku

MO is actually a dangerous opponent...he got real power,,,,
6/18/09 3:02 PM
BigWilliam
331 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't get the Cro Cop hate. Dana signed him to a one fight deal. Mirko did the fight. After that it's new negotations and a new deal did not get done.

What did he do wrong?
6/18/09 3:02 PM
lookoutawhale
1122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think its fine that mirko wants to fight more but I think its pretty shady that he pretends he had no idea what was going on and where the rumours were coming from.

It would have been better if he just showed up to the post fight conference (like everyone else) and said the UFC wants me to fight once every 6 months and i want to have 2-3 more fights in the next 6 months because im at the tail end of my career. If the UFC still wants me back after that i would be willing to fight.

Instead of taking off after the fight and not talking to media, then pretending he has no idea where these dream rumours are coming from and then signing with dream a couple days later.

I have no problem with him guiding his own career, only the bs. I dont really feel bad for the UFC either though. I mean they should have a standard 3 fight contract that cant be terminated. When players in the other big sports start to suck the team has to play out his contract or trade him. If Mirko lost his next 2 fights they would have cut him anyways.

Not good that Mirko lied, but UFC does shady things too.
6/18/09 3:03 PM
lookoutawhale
1122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

plus Dana would NEVER do a one fight deal with Fedor. The only way he would is if Fedor was brought in to fight a can then released.

A fight like this past cro cop one where it impacts nothing on the mma landscape.
6/18/09 3:06 PM
BigWilliam
331 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He probably did want to do those things, but then got a better deal elsewhere. Why should he take a bad deal just to stay in the UFC?
6/18/09 3:32 PM
ACE won DEAL with it
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah EM, lot's of fighters get 1-fight Contracts.  Cro Cop was not the first and will not be the last.

Even though "mydogsnameischloe" is a douche bag, she's right.

I think it's funny that Cro Cop bounced on the UFC. 
6/18/09 3:44 PM
BigWilliam

If Cro Cop had lost what would Dana have done for him? It's not like Dana has ever been known to be altruistic to fighters. Cro Cop did what he had to do.
6/18/09 3:49 PM
Daddy32

I have no issue with his wanting to fight many times a year, to be honest, I think the talent pool is so big that some guys get caught contractually without a way to feed themselves in their early careers due to inactivity. But he always had the most posh spot in UFC, no pressers, leaving right after his fight, short interviews, I just think he owed more than he gave.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.