UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> recipe and tips on making pizza dough

6/18/09 5:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
meow mix
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like to learn how to make pizza dough.  We make our own pizzas because chain food pizza is terrible and that is all we have around here.  Normally, I buy shells from the grocery store but I want to take it a step further.  So, suggestions on good dough recipes?  Tips on making the dough?
6/19/09 11:32 PM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got this from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day...

OLIVE OIL DOUGH

1-3/8 cups lukewarm water
3/4 TBSP granulated yeast (3/4 packet)
3/4 TBSP salt
1/2 TBSP sugar
1/8 cup olive oil
3-1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

Mix yeast, salt, sugar & olive oil with water

Mix in flour

Cover (not airtight) and allow to rest at room temp until dough rises and collapses (or flattens on top), approximately 2 hrs

The dough can be used immediately after initial rise, but is easier to handle when cold. Refrigerate in lidded (not airtight) container & use over next 12 days

Last week was my first and only attempt at pizza dough (so far), but turned out good... made two medium pizzas.
6/23/09 10:58 PM
Mark1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frozen pizza dough from the store.

Simple.

Mark
6/24/09 5:20 PM
onefromnone
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Try this site, there are a lot of recipes for every style of pizza dough....

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php
6/27/09 2:37 AM
MisoWhoreKnee
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.chow.com/pick/5678 

This dough is great and costs like $1.19
7/14/09 11:28 AM
savage animal
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

went to a pizza making party Sunday, not being on Facebook, didn't get the info that everyone was supposed to make everything from scratch (pizza cookoff)

can't beat the $1 doughballs from TJ's, but I will make the real way next time.

7/20/09 5:08 PM
Mullet @ Heart
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mine.

I usually get a little fancier with it, and mix some herbs into the dough. You can't really taste it much, but the speckles are purdy.
8/6/09 5:57 PM
MisoWhoreKnee
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bobby Lupo -  Xantham gum is essential if you want the dough to have elasticity: where you can toss it like a pro.

If you use a high gluten flour then Xanthan gum isn't necessary. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.