UnderGround Forums

RugbyGround >> British&Irish Lions Side 1st Test Match.

6/18/09 6:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
nathan@aristeia
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here are my thoughts for Lions side that is going to play South Africa Saturday. I have watched all the matches live that they have played so far.

I will get this out of the way but Paul O'Connell is not a leader. Shoot me now but every team he has captianed so far the side has not done as good as it should have.

I have no problem with the backs but Ugo Monye hands so far have not been impressive. Too many knock-ons for this level of competition. I really wished they picked Armetage for the Lions side as he is an all around good player.

I'm really suprised Sheridian isn't anywhere to be seen. One of the best props in the world not on the pitch doesn't make senses. Nice to see Lee Mears out there as I think he is the best hooker on the Lions.

Guys that have impressed me are Philips and Roberts. A scrum half as big as Philips is a huge plus and Roberts is strong and runs at opposition with bad intentions. Really enjoy watching him play.

Thoughts?
6/18/09 6:39 PM
nathan@aristeia

Also South Africa is going to come out hard like the Kings just did and the Lions can't get caught on the back foot and need to pick up the pace and come back just as hard.
6/19/09 1:27 PM
LordSeano
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

O'Connell is the most competitive line out jumper we could play against matfield. That is why he is in the team but I agree he is not a leader.

However with guys like Vickery and BOD out there they are not short on leaders.

People need to get their heads round the fact though that the 'Lions' that played the Kings/Cheetahs/Royal etc are not the same team that played the Lions/Sharks. Literally different teams. There is a gulf between the dirttrackers and the test side on this tour. There really is.

For all the talk of competing for places this test side really picked itself with the exception of a couple of spots.

The team that played the Lions had 13 of the test XV in.
6/19/09 5:18 PM
The MIGHTY Bishop

2 Cardiff Blues players in the side!

And I picked them both to start months ago!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.