UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> DONT rate my playing

6/23/09 1:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sreiter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/23/09 2:22 AM

I know it sucks. Haven't finger picked in 3 years and it really shows.

Just wanted to post a few clips re:am i a blues man yet thread.

I only play 2 verses of each song - all under 1 minute, as to spare your ears

Cocaine - Rev Davis

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7744273

Stack O'Lee - John Hurt

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7744275

Come back baby

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7744272

CC Ryder - John Hurt

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7744274

Hesitation Blues - Rev Davis

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7744271
6/23/09 3:42 PM
sreiter

what??? no comments? - lololol

yeah yeah, i know i said dont rate my playing - lololol
6/23/09 4:38 PM
Hillbilly
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds good. What kind of guitar are you using?
6/23/09 7:48 PM
sreiter

Edited: 06/23/09 7:49 PM
thanks HB

see what i meant about "come back baby" - not nearly enough bass the way i learnt it

lol - @ my guitars -

on stack o lee i'm using a "el degas" acoustic (lmfao) - i bought it in 1984 for $25 - real cheapo POS

for everything else i use my ibanez electric with tom holmes 1958 PAF's through my blues Jr. with NOS rca's

i was amazed at how close to a acoustic it sounded.

recorded with my little portable olympus LS-10 PCM recorder set to mp3 which is one of the lowest fidelity settings i have

for $250-$300 it is amazing - it records at studio level fidelity - it has 2 built in mics

re:playing - ur being nice, thanks - i hear the mistakes, and i'm playing way too fast, and ZERO feel -

i was just trying to actually get through it. been strictly playing electric for the past 3 years - learning theory, etc
6/23/09 7:51 PM
sreiter

Edited: 06/23/09 7:51 PM
the ls10

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1350

24 BIT/ 96 KHZ LINEAR PCM RECORDING.
6/24/09 12:44 PM
whaledog
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/24/09 1:29 PM
Since you asked, I won't rate it.  But, I liked it!

I agree that Come Back Baby could use some more base notes, though.  I tried to record the version I'm learning last night, but Garage Band decided it didn't like live recording.  If I played more than 20 seconds it would just loop the last part of the recording over and over from the start.  Very strage.  I'll try again when I get a chance. 
6/24/09 1:16 PM
sreiter

whaledog - Since you asked, I won't rate it.  But, I liked it!

I agree that Come Back Baby could use some more base notes, though.  I tried to record the version I'm learding last night, but Garage Band decided it didn't like live recording.  If I played more than 20 seconds it would just loop the last part of the recording over and over from the start.  Very strage.  I'll try again when I get a chance.

since u critiqued yours - feel free - i already think it sucks so, it wont hurt too much
6/24/09 1:16 PM
sreiter

Edited: 06/24/09 1:16 PM
make that since "I" .........

and thanks for the kind words
6/24/09 1:34 PM
whaledog
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/24/09 1:34 PM
sreiter - 
whaledog - Since you asked, I won't rate it.  But, I liked it!

I agree that Come Back Baby could use some more base notes, though.  I tried to record the version I'm learning last night, but Garage Band decided it didn't like live recording.  If I played more than 20 seconds it would just loop the last part of the recording over and over from the start.  Very strage.  I'll try again when I get a chance.

since u critiqued yours - feel free - i already think it sucks so, it wont hurt too much
I would just agree with what you wrote.  It would probably have better feel if you slowed down a bit.  But I know from first-hand experience how hard it is to keep a slow and steady tempo.  Sounds simple until you try to do it.

6/24/09 1:44 PM
sreiter

thanks ^

it think it need FEEL and slowing down wont go it enough

25 years ago Stefan used to say i sounded like a washing machine - chug chug chug - steady no variation (feel)

really, i just havent played finger style in so long, i was just trying to remember the songs - lol i had to practice each tune like 15 mins just to remember the all right notes, not that i hit them all - lolololo

i have ZERO natural talent - it takes my 100x longer then anyone else.

memorizing a tune note for note takes me like 3 months, then another 3 of practice just to get it listenable.

i just love music so i make up for lack of talent with perseverance

i also have zero creativity as far as music goes - its weird, if i hear someone else playing, i have tons of different lines running through my head, but when i play, i go blank and just follow the melody line for my leads -

pretty much "mary had a little lamb"
6/24/09 1:52 PM
whaledog

Edited: 06/24/09 1:51 PM
sreiter -

i also have zero creativity as far as music goes - its weird, if i hear someone else playing, i have tons of different lines running through my head, but when i play, i go blank and just follow the melody line for my leads -

pretty much "mary had a little lamb"

Unfortunatley, I can relate.  Have you experimented by recoding yourself humming a line and then trying to learn it on guitar?  I was thinking that might help.
6/24/09 2:29 PM
sreiter

Edited: 06/24/09 2:30 PM
i can and do play whatever i hear in my head. its actually WAY harder for me just to let my finger fly -

I used to do that and people say i sounded better -lolo

now all i hear is very, very simple lines. when i try to let me fingers fly, i end up playing correct notes, but land on the "wrong" note.

depending what i'm doing, i always start and or/end on a triad note (although, if the one chord is a 7th, i'll end on a 7th or 9th). but when i just let my fingers go, i'll end on a 2nd, 6th, etc.
6/26/09 2:57 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I were you, I'd call Stefan Grossman and ask for a refund.

Just kidding, sounds good man.
I agree with Whaledog that it sounds a little rushed, but you still sound way better than me.
6/28/09 1:56 AM
sreiter

^lol

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.