UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Tri Tip

6/23/09 6:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I stopped at the butcher today looking for a beef brisket. I saw some Tri Tips on sale so I decided to go that route... bought one that weighs about 2.4 lbs.

Looking for advice from the Housewife Ground since I've never made this cut.

I was thinking about:

Apply rub to tri tip, sear both sides for about 5 minutes, then smoke until internal temp reaches 135 degrees, slice about 1/4 inch thick an serve.

Is this how you guys do it? Advice?
6/25/09 6:09 PM
d0mm3r
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That sounds good to me. I dont go for a sear but I end up geting the outside with a nice semi-char after about an hour and a half at 300 or so, and a good smoke ring to boot. I put on the rub and put the tip on fat side up, let it go for about an hour, then go flip it, and half an hour later it hits 145 internal and is ready to come off. Let it rest for about 10 minutes tented under foil, then slice it up and serve! What's in the rub you plan to use?
6/25/09 10:53 PM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the reply, I might skip the sear.
And thanks for the temps and time... helps me formulate a plan.

For the rub I'll probably go with about a teaspoon of garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt, little ground pepper, tablespoon of Cajun spice and a tablespoon of brown sugar.... all approximate, I just eyeball it.

I was thinking about making a horseradish/sour cream sauce to go with the tri-tip.

Do you guys just eat them as "steaks", or make sandwiches?
6/26/09 3:04 AM
d0mm3r
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've done thick slices as 'steaks' and thin slices for sandwiches - the horseradish will go great with either.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.