UnderGround Forums

Australasia UnderGround >> Finding a new Gym

6/24/09 5:21 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
paulmat
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Guys,

Not sure if there are many people left here! LOL, but I will ask anyways.

I have moved house, to Mill Park (north of melbourne) and I am looking for a new place to train. I found this place on the internet;

http://tribalpunishment.com/photos.php

The gym looks awesome, but I have never heard of them. Does anyone have any feedback on the place and the teaching ?

The other gym I am looking at is Hanger 4 in Preston. I have been down there, and meet one of the dudes there (Jamie, I think?) a little while back, the school looks good, and the guys seem really cool, but I doubt I can afford there monthly membership fees! :(

Anyways, if anyone has any feedback, I would really appreciate it,

Cheers,

Paulie
6/24/09 8:41 AM
walbjj
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i guess it all depends on what ur after and ur skill level.
i dont live in vic or melb, so i dont know the distances between places. but from what i have read, tribal is run by rob knight, he is a pretty big guy, his grappling lineage from what i can tell is unknown, he has been around for a few years, so knows some stuff.
hanger 4 last time i checked is affiliated with machado/will bjj. they have excellent guys there
the places that i would look to train at if i moved to melb would be any pete de been gym (straight bjj), and if i wanted a mix of mma, bjj and kbing, then dominance.
again, i dont know the distances, but travelling 30mins to training shouldnt be an issue
6/24/09 9:54 PM
4Fingers
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi Paulmat, if you want just BJJ then Ninos Dammo at Tulamarine (Aust Elite Team), has a great venue, big, new etc Nino is a Brown Belt under Peter De Been and is a really nice guy. He has some very tough students apart from being very handy him self. I think they have their own website, just check www.australianeliteteam.com

F
6/24/09 9:54 PM
paulmat
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the post Walbjj.

I would love to train at Dominance but its not doable, just to far away to be practical for me. Hanger 4 is only about 15-20 minutes way for me, so it would be a good fit, and the guys are pretty awesome, but I can not afford the monthly fees. I am sure it is worth every penny, but I just don't have the money.

The reason why I asked about Tribal was because it is extremely close to me, maybe I could walk /run there and save on petrol etc, but if his grappling lineage is unknown it sounds a bit suss to me ?

If anyone else knows some alternatives around the area, that would be great. I might need to end up just not training until I can afford something better in the future.

Cheers,
6/24/09 10:11 PM
byron2001

Yeah perhaps getting a job should be your first port of call.
6/25/09 1:30 AM
paulmat

Hi byron,

I have a job dude, I have been working for the last 13 years straight with out 1 job less day (only 28!). I have other people relying on me at the moment, which is making my money a little tight. You can't choose your family etc.

Thanks for the link 4Fingers, I will check out the link dude.
6/25/09 1:45 AM
walbjj
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if money is tight, then bjj is definitely the wrong sport, u need to estimate that training fees run about $100 a month, then u need the gi, and a mouthguard.

if ur tight atm, then look at joining the pcyc for judo and boxing, they have great programs at very low prices.
alternatively, look at what the university offers for their sporting clubs, judo, wrestling and they might even have bjj.

otherwise, backyard training is the only real option
6/25/09 2:19 AM
byron2001

Either that, or watch some techniques on YouTube and venture out to your nearest train station and work on your newly discovered moves on some un-suspecting school kids.
6/25/09 8:53 AM
Hanma Yujiro

paulmat, I can also recommend Nexus BJJ in Coburg. Website is at http://www.nexusbjj.com/

The head instructor, Murat is a brown belt under Pedro Sauer (ones of the top black belts in America) and is a fantastic instructor and competitor. If money is a concern, there is also a once a week membership which I think is great value.

We also do wrestling at the club on Thursday nights, which is run by Ali Abdo a three time wrestling Olympian.

Murat is currently in Brazil training, however if you have any questions I'd be happy to help out with further information.
6/25/09 8:10 PM
DK Chaos
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are you interested in doing MMA or BJJ?

If you are interested in BJJ there are numerous options around melbourne. For MMA there are very few gyms with active MMA competitors.

Check out North Melbourne MMA, search for North Melbourne Boxing-Fitness on Google and follow the links to our page.
6/25/09 11:49 PM
paulmat

Thanks Hanma, I def know who Pedro Sauer is! I will check Nexus out, it looks good.

Hi DK, I love both, but prob prefer BJJ or some form of no-gi grappling at the moment.
6/30/09 9:04 PM
OutbreakMonkey
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As far as I know Tribal Punishment has closed its doors.
If you don't like travelling, Nexus or Hangar are you best choices. But I live in Essendon and train at Dominance. A good gym is worth the commute.
7/2/09 1:32 AM
My1stMac

A good gym is definitely worth the commute. I travel 45 minutes each way. But logistically www.extremejjg.com is too far away from you.

I believe Robby Knight may have been an ex-extreme Student, but I could be very wrong!

Good luck with the hunt!
7/21/09 6:59 PM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

walbjj - i guess it all depends on what ur after and ur skill level.
i dont live in vic or melb, so i dont know the distances between places. but from what i have read, tribal is run by rob knight, he is a pretty big guy, his grappling lineage from what i can tell is unknown, he has been around for a few years, so knows some stuff.
hanger 4 last time i checked is affiliated with machado/will bjj. they have excellent guys there
the places that i would look to train at if i moved to melb would be any pete de been gym (straight bjj), and if i wanted a mix of mma, bjj and kbing, then dominance.
again, i dont know the distances, but travelling 30mins to training shouldnt be an issue

Hi Paulmat,
Dude, anytime you like, you can always come see us. You're always welcome!!

10th Planet JJ Melbourne
190B Sussex Street Nth Coburg, about 15 mins from where you are.

www.10thplanetjjmelbounrne.com
7/24/09 9:18 PM
Conor Heun
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10th Planet JJ Melbourne
190B Sussex Street Nth Coburg, about 15 mins from where you are.

www.10thplanetjjmelbounrne.com
You have ignored this user.

END OF THREAD!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.