UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> recovery after training hard

6/24/09 6:50 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Boyle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had my first MMA class Monday after a long time of not training/working out. Needless to say I was quite sore after the class. I am hoping to cut down my "sore time" if possible between classes. Is there anything you guys can recommend me to try?

Also currently I am taking a mens multivitamin, is there something better I should consider taking while training? I have changed my diet considerably a few weeks prior to starting.

Any advice or help you can offer is greatly appreciated.
6/24/09 11:32 AM
WidespreadPanic

Delayed Onset Muscular Soreness or DOMS occurs primarily during eccentric contraction of the muscles, like resisting the down part of a bench press or a bicep curl.

So, it's no surprise that wrestling, where you're resisting the other guy trying to straighten your arms or legs or flatten you out would cause this.

Typically, it goes away after a couple weeks of training, if you do it 2-3x/week, same kind of workout. To ameliorate the soreness, people take aspirin, NSAIDs, and/or soak in a tub of ice water (garbage can). (Just be careful if you do the soaks no to overstress your heart (get checked out before starting exercise) and get someone to help you because it's problematic to get out of the can by yourself.

Otherwise, you can just tough it out. Good luck
6/24/09 8:43 PM
Boyle

Thank you for the reply.

I took an aspirin today and it seemed to help the soreness. I plan to do it 2 times a week till I can recover faster then move to 3 times.

I will give the ice bath a shot as well.

Thanks for the advice.
6/25/09 3:48 AM
Kirkor Papasian

drink alot of water.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.