UnderGround Forums

Alabama Underground >> Gi Tourney date for AGA?

7/26/09 11:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hiza Geri
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alabama Grapplers' Association, Inc
 Sorry, guys.  I should have clarified that remark (imagine 3 kids screaming in the background when I type...).  I am only aware of one school in TUSCALOOSA that trains in the gi...

How could I possibly forget about you other guys??!!  Josh, you bringin' your wares for sale at the tourny?
7/26/09 11:31 AM
Hiza Geri

We now have a facebook page as well.
7/26/09 12:51 PM
TomStedham
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm pretty sure something could be worked out with "them"... Or they could just not come. Considering that police officers and at least one attorney (!) will be present... yeah, it's possible.

But to not do a tourney because of one gym's beef with me? Come on... And it's not my tourney! I'm just offering the space (providing that everybody plays nice, of course). And of course, I will be there. I am signed for the building, after all...

I assume the cage wouldn't be used? I mean, it's 16' (SQUARE!!!) and just sitting there, but from what I've seen, these things take place on mats. It's available, of course. Maybe the finals inside it...?

But, the venue is available on Aug. 22. And let me clarify "free"... I'm offering the building for free. I will talk to the venue mgr tomorrow and see if this is kosher. You might have to hire a cop or two for a few hrs. But you would probably have to do that anywhere, right?

Oh, I just realized where some mats are!!! Seriously! Let me make a few calls. I'm talking about the huge school wrestling mats! Like 30'x 10' whatever. But they won't be free... Can you budget some $$ for the mats? I will find out by Monday and let you know.

And I need to know your projected times! Like, will this be finished by 4 so I can start my fight prep?

LET'S MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Tom Stedham, owner
SOUTHERN FIGHTING ALLIANCE
next fight: Aug. 22. duh!
7/26/09 2:41 PM
Hiza Geri

we can budget for mats
7/26/09 3:32 PM
Josh J

Hiza Geri -  Sorry, guys.  I should have clarified that remark (imagine 3 kids screaming in the background when I type...).  I am only aware of one school in TUSCALOOSA that trains in the gi...

How could I possibly forget about you other guys??!!  Josh, you bringin' your wares for sale at the tourny?

Not this time. I am almost sold out of product and have a very large order in production right now. I will have several new products, and a full product line when this stuff comes in. I'm going to wait until that is finished before doing any more events. I appreciate the offer though. I do plan to compete though. I'm going to try to get a lot of Triad people there.

After this stuff comes in I'm going to be hitting every event I can.
7/26/09 4:40 PM
williepep
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lucian - I saw this post was moved ttt and thought for a second that the AGA had ACTUALLY set a final date for the gi tournament...I was wrong of course.

Looks like Mr Stedham is going to make this happen.
7/26/09 9:07 PM
jaydoug

noone has addressed the funnel cake issue.. what's the deal? are we going to have any or not?

7/26/09 9:14 PM
williepep
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Milk Shakes from Henry's, arrive early and get one

The BBQ samiches at the show are pretty good

-----------------------------------------------------

Today I drove by the venue for the AGA, this should be a go.

Once again Mr Stedham raises the bar!
7/26/09 11:34 PM
TomStedham
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This should be a go. I've talked to my "people" and we can make it work.

It's just logistics now. How many mats, what size, thickness, etc.? Can y'all provide some labor the night before to set it all up? And afterwards to help move everything? Like, all my chairs and tables that I can't set up til after this is over...

And we need to set a cut-off time, so I can start getting things ready for the (highly profitable) fight that night.

Your expenses should be a couple hundred $ for mats; ie, we gotta pay some guy to use them, transport them, clean them, etc. And maybe $100 or so for at least one of Brookwood's finest to be officially on duty.

Let me stress: this ain't my show. I won't have anything to do with money, tickets, authority, running it, etc. Y'all run the door and all that. I'm just offering the venue and working the concessions. Oh, and some shirt vendors will be there. Is that cool? All the other sh*t is somebody else's problem... lol!

My only issue is that everybody be required to "play nice." I am signed for the venue; it's on my insurance, so... I will have the right to boot ANYBODY. I would only do that if there is a "personal problem". Not to be petty.

So perhaps the AGA attorney should make sure everyone is aware of that. Outside of that, it's not my show.

I'm looking forward to seeing this, by the way. I'm willing to do this on a recurring basis, once we get all this worked out. Obviously, I'm hoping that this increases my ticket sales for the night show. And I'm hoping to clear at least $50 off the concession stand. lol!

Phillip, I will call you on Monday.

Tom Stedham, owner
SOUTHERN FIGHTING ALLIANCE
7/27/09 12:49 AM
williepep

Tom,

Please make sure this pajama party is cleared out in time so I can claim my spot at the table next to the WWE divas etc.
7/27/09 1:11 AM
TomStedham

Of course! VIPs get "priority seating"...

But how can I possibly beat last fight's celebrity list? A B-movie star and a (former) WWE Diva.. That's gonna be tough to top..

Stay tuned!
7/27/09 7:54 AM
Hiza Geri

I will be in  court until after lunch.

I don't know if you having the right to boot anybody will work, though.  We ARE a pretty responsible group of people, and we won't be selling alcohol at a grappling tournament(right).  We are also going to have SEVERAL law enforcement types competing, and a chief of police will be running one of the mats.  I don't think there will be any problems...
7/27/09 9:06 AM
TomStedham

Okay, sounds good to me. As long as everybody plays nice, it should be fine.

I'll call you this afternoon.
7/28/09 11:11 AM
Gladiator Grappling

For anyone competing in Rome this Saturday. Bring some flyers for this event with you so you can pass them out to everyone. I know alot of those guys will drive to compete. Let me know if I can help. I'll also announce it after rules meeting. It's your call.

Rob
7/28/09 2:32 PM
Hiza Geri

What is your email addy?  I'll send the flyer to you.  Thanks for the help.
7/28/09 5:53 PM
TomStedham

And just to throw this in there...

I'm having a CAGE FIGHT THAT NIGHT!!! In case any grapplers want to stick around and attend the 11th Southern Fighting Alliance fight...

Ten fights on the card plus the HEAVYWEIGHT title belt up for grabs (Braxton "the Beast" Smith 6-1 from Jasper vs Walt Harris, Champions MMA, also 6-1).

And to make myself even cooler, how about this:
Grappling competitors can buy fight tix for half price! ($10).

Man, am I awesome or what??? (unless your answer is "awesome" then don't answer... lol).

My last show had WWE Diva Debra in the audience. What will I come up with to match that? Stay tuned...

I'm leaving Friday for my movie BLOOD CREEK WOODSMAN in the wilds of Oregon. I won't be back online til the 10th... So if anybody needs info, tix, etc., you better hit me up before then.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.