UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Worst part of applying for Grad School??

6/26/09 12:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HOLLYWOOD-MO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honestly, I hate any type of Self Evaluation Essay. The schools I am applying to all require several of these essays. What can I possibly write in there essays that every other douche bag, whom is applying has not already written?

"Oh I am the greatest person of all time. If your school admits me, they are going to get the hardest working, greatest over achiever who will break his back to make the staff happy, who will lead the team (because I am a leader) and will follow (because I know when to let others lead) etc...on and on and on"

Now the tone of this post is from an OG'r. Of course I wouldn't write anything like this, but this is the gist of all of these letters. What did you guys do for these letters?
6/26/09 1:31 PM
kilgore79

i wrote about my failures and lack of preparation early in college, and how that was the best thing for me

seemed to work well as I got in
6/27/09 1:16 AM
LetsTalkItOut
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice, that's some good stuff right there.
6/27/09 1:44 AM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

kilgore79 - i wrote about my failures and lack of preparation early in college, and how that was the best thing for me

seemed to work well as I got in

Shit, the OG is good for something! Thats a great idea, cuz Im sure every douche bag is talking about how great he is.
6/29/09 10:38 AM
kilgore79

yeah, that's what i figured would be the case when i started writing...plus they had my transcripts so it was obvious that i fucked up my first year in

good luck!
6/29/09 3:40 PM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

kilgore79 - yeah, that's what i figured would be the case when i started writing...plus they had my transcripts so it was obvious that i fucked up my first year in

good luck!

How long was your letter? One school wants me to write 3 self evaluation letters. WTF? Am I going to make each one completely different or say the same crap in all three? I wrote to the admissions council and asked for some examples and they simply told me to follow the guidelines. What kind of response is that...

Should I make each letter only 1-2 pages long? I don't want it to drag
6/30/09 4:28 AM
P.V.Jena

Worst part, you get in but hey, every one around you also got in, so what was so special about what you did? 
6/30/09 9:55 AM
kilgore79

It depended on the school, some wanted one 600 word essay, while others asked for three shorter essay answers

I think every application had a word limit on it, around 1-2 pages, so you're around the right length

Are you still in school? If so you could ask your professors to help you with the essay, or go to career services for advice...I had some professors look at my essay and it helped a lot since they knew first hand what departments look for
7/18/09 12:02 AM
xpat
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/18/09 12:39 AM
It really depends on what kind of grad school you are trying to get into. The grad school application process is big business - I am sure that no matter what type of graduate degree you are applying for you will be able to find some books or online guides which discuss appropriate application strategies including essays. Some of these guides even detail different strategies depending on which school you are applying to.

Ultimately, you need to be comfortable with self evaluation, as the point of these essays is to demonstrate a degree of maturity. Make sure you actually answer the questions asked of you (instead of skirting around them), providing actual examples of actions and outcomes from your life that address the question. Not all of your actions and outcomes need to be impressive, but you should have learned something from them that shows that you are growing as a person and are mature enough to take the next step in your career.

This should all tie in to why you want to go to graduate school, how you will continue to grow and contribute while you are there, and what your goals are once you leave. You may need to embellish some details (as no doubt many people do), but ultimately your essays should tell a compelling story and paint an accurate picture of who you really are.
8/2/09 2:55 AM
dnwsr
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First of all, you want to sound sure of your decision to go to grad school. You'd be surprised at how many people flake out (even those with full funding) so they like to hear that you're 100% committed. Also, be sure to cite something that specifically draws you to that institution. Re: the failures, that's not too bad of an idea. I didn't do that for grad school, but I did for undergrad. I mentioned how I was most proud of the lowest grade on my transcript. I had a legitimate story to back it up, and it definitely helped.
8/8/09 2:10 AM
groundfighter2000
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not getting in?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.