UnderGround Forums

Jen >> Guard Passing DVD

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

6/26/09 10:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
pitbullxyz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bolo,

I recently tore my mcl and I've been rewatching my dvd's in the meantime. I watched your guard passing dvd again the other night and I'm trying to incorporate more of a 'hug around the chest' pass in to my game. The one question I have is regarding defeating the form of guard I believe you mentioned Joe Moriera likes to use. This is one in which your opponent has the half guard, but he has his knee on your chest/shoulder area. I belive I've heard you refer to it as the 'lazy man's guard' and others have called it z-guard. Against a skilled practitioner, how do you like to collapse that knee?

Also, I found this video of Roy Harris rolling with his students and utilizing the hug around the chest pass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWY27NJF9fw&feature=related

I didn't realize he was such a big guy, but it's funny how at one point, Roy just goes ahead and hugs around the neck since with his size, there just seems like no way his opponent will go around to his back (check out 5:00 mark).

Thanks for your help
6/30/09 7:45 PM
Bolo

In the video clip you mentioned, Roy grabbed the back of the neck not because is big but rather that he had already collapsed his opponent's knee and was heading toward his opponent's back side. If the opponent was blocking well with the leg and it wasn't collapsed, Roy would not be able to, nor would he want to, try to grab the head like that. Also, if he had passed towards the front side, I don't believe would have grabbed the back of the neck.

The goal is collapsing the knee is getting your weight on the side of your opponent's leg rather than allowing him to push and support your weight with the front of his knee and shin and push you with his leg in a forward linear direction (in relation to his body).
6/30/09 10:54 PM
pitbullxyz

That makes total sense, thank you. I will continue working on it.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.