UnderGround Forums

Alabama Underground >> B'ham Racetrack show last Friday...

6/28/09 11:58 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TomStedham
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did anybody go? I've gotten numerous phone calls and emails... But I'm no gossip!

I won't say ANYTHING!!! Unless you say it first, then I'm gonna blab like an indicted mobster in a safe house...
6/28/09 3:09 PM
TomStedham
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Come on! Everybody is reading this post, but nobody is replying....

Fine! Here's a tease:

Congrats to a certain B'ham fighter for stepping up and making sure they even had mma on the show... This certain someone made a bunch of calls, and from what I understand, is the only reason any mma fights happened at all.. Like, in a couple of hours, rounded up some fighters.

So KUDOS to this person... He knows who he is, but I can't say his name. If he would only step up and take his credit... Sigh. (hint: he posts here! No more clues. Not a one. Don't even ask. Nope. I'm not gonna say his name...)

Some people are like that, all shy and sh*t. NOT ME! I'd be claiming all kind of credit, but I was sitting on my couch, waiting on the Deontay Wilder boxing match on ESPN2. (With a rather attractive lady next to me. She was at my last show in Brookwood... but back to the point.)

Attendance was estimated in the "400+ range", which is pretty good for the racetrack... What does the future hold for MMA at this venue, after the monumental screw-up by the booker (oops! did I say that???)?

Only time will tell. And me. I'll tell, just as soon as I find out! lol...

Somebody was there!!! Post some info!!!! Please?
6/28/09 3:24 PM
BlazerinTraining
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fine... hear goes... I heard it was as good as you would expect a card at the racecourse would go.

and as bad
6/28/09 3:33 PM
TomStedham

Ha! Good one... And true, from what I heard. But I will say, in their defense, that the fights were literally put together at the last hour (one fighter showed up at like 8:30!).

What if they used a competent booker, who booked fighters who actually showed up??? The place has potential...
6/29/09 1:37 AM
boardbreaker

does this person that you speack of have a bald head?
6/29/09 9:03 AM
TomStedham

Edited: 06/29/09 9:03 AM
You're getting warmer...
6/29/09 12:16 PM
joey101

is he sexy?
6/29/09 4:25 PM
bam57bam
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah I was there. I know the Adam kid is bad Mofo! Beat a guy 30 pounds heavier. Mount, GnP. Very nice. I did here the promoter did not pay what was expected so he prob gonna have a hard time getting fighters from now on.
6/29/09 6:57 PM
TomStedham

Edited: 06/29/09 6:58 PM
Ah, but the story I heard (from the promoter!) is that he told the BOOKER one thing, and the BOOKER told the fighters something else.

Fighters were (allegedly) told by the booker (not the promoter) that they would get 25 CENTS A MILE, PLUS 150 DOLLARS, PLUS A HOTEL ROOM!!!!! wtf???

The promoter denies all that, and says that he booked AMATEUR fighters, and that he told the booker he would pay $25 "travel pay."

I called Mike Fyrberg. He said he knew nothing about the show, and was NEVER CONTACTED about fighting. But someone told Fred Weaver that Mike was his opponent.

I spoke with Nick Sanders, who said he had been contacted about fighting in late July, at 205, and that was his plan. He said did not accept a booking for this fight.

After talking with a few fighters and the promoter, I'm inclined to believe that the booker screwed this one up. I think the promoter is in the clear. The solution to me is to avoid this booker! (And yes, I know who it is...)

Sh*t like this is exactly why I discuss money IN ADVANCE with all fighters and managers. At an SFA show, you know exactly what to expect, and in fact, you are normally paid BEFORE THE SHOW IS OVER... How hard is that?

My advice to fighters is to discuss money and tickets with the promoter WELL BEFORE THE SHOW, and to know what you are getting. If you agree to $25 in travel pay, then take it. If you get a better deal, take it. But never, ever go into a deal where you don't have any idea what to expect. That's crazy!

At my Aug. 22 show, all fighters and managers will have a written agreement, listing their amount of "travel pay", ticket commissions, etc. Just to avoid this kind of situation. In 10 shows, I've never had an issue over money.
6/30/09 12:39 PM
TomStedham

Well, in fairness, here's the booker's side of the story.

(I still say that Eddie messed up, since I've talked with two fighters who said they knew nothing about the show, despite their names being thrown around as being on the card.)

Here's Eddie's statement. It came to me second-hand, but I believe it is from him.
(misspellings included!)

2 tim gibson of unupposed promotions ... answer 2 ur lies ..

I am the MAN you used to book the fights. I pride myself on telling the truth.
The truth is;
"THE LAST TIME I BOOKED FIGHTS FOR YOU EVERY FIGHTER GOT $100 TRAVEL! YOU CRYED ABOUT THAT AS WELL! THAT WAS THE UNDERSTANDING GOING INTO THIS ONE OR I WOULD HAVE NEVER, I REPEAT NEVER, DONE IT. I TAKE CARE OF THE FIGHTERS, RESPECT THE FIGHTERS, AND TREAT ALL THE FIGHTERS LIKE FAMILY. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS ASK ANY OF THEM! I AM NOT A CRY BABY, CHEAP, LOSER THAT ONLY CARES FOR MYSELF LIKE SOME OF THE LAZY, FAT ASS, PUNK PROMOTERS OUT THERE THAT ONLY TALK BIG ON THE PHONE OR COMPUTER!

Now let's talk about crooks, Tim, you still owe me money from the last fight, not to mention this one. I know I will never see it. Why? Because you lie and make up POOR excuses. EXAMPLE: "GIVE ME YOUR ADDRESS AND I WILL MAIL IT TO YOU," knowing you have cash in hand and never will. If you were a MAN none of this would be going on and your debts would be paid. If you did't Fuck around with peoples money, like you say, then I would have mine, not to mention the fighters would have their money as well.

As far as turning pro goes, amateur MMA fighters are allowed up to $75 to $150 travel plus $ .25 a mile and a hotel room. The small promotions even offer that. What does that make you? You seriously need to think about it. You will NEVER make it in MMA as long as you keep bull like this up. Be honest and tell the truth for once. I was under the impression that you wanted to do business, at least that is what you said. Well, if this is how you do business you do not even need to contact me. I am out.

Oh, maybe I should post your text so everyone will know who is telling the truth.

Sincerely,
The TRUTH TELLING
Eddie Fielder
7/1/09 4:23 AM
Stranglehold26
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As far as turning pro goes, amateur MMA fighters are allowed up to $75 to $150 travel plus $ .25 a mile and a hotel room

LOL@ this. Who exactly makes those rules and enforces them?

This event sounds like....BUM FIGHTS!
7/1/09 10:29 AM
takedownandsub

eddie fielder is the PT barnum of bum fights
7/1/09 11:58 PM
countrypimp

wow...there's a name I haven't heard in some time.
7/3/09 1:25 AM
FCFBlazer

takedownandsub - eddie fielder is the PT barnum of bum fights
I don't know either party, but that made me LOL!!! VTFU!!!

7/3/09 2:02 AM
bam57bam
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well the prob is there was a guy who ws there for an MMA fight but when he got there they also needed him to fill in for a no show in a boxing match. This kid broke his nose in the boxing match rested for bout an hour then won his MMA fight. He was under the impression that he would get 100 for the fill in boxing match and 50 for the MMA fight. Promoter gave him 60$ total.for both fights!! I dont care who told who what or who screwed up, the promoter should have paid that man for saving his ass by filling in. That is a crock of shit if you ask me!
7/3/09 2:40 AM
FCFBlazer

the ABC didn't stop this, but stopped Mercer from slaying Timmay in boxing?  Not that it mattered.  I enjoyed the outcome!
7/3/09 6:30 AM
TomStedham

Um... did they have a ring doctor? I'd love to hear his story on how a kid with "a broken nose" fought an MMA bout...

And there are two sides to every story. Did the promoter "NEED him to fill in a no-show in a boxing match"?

Or, was there a no-show, and this fighter VOLUNTEERED to box? Meaning, "hey, I'll box" versus "OMG, we gotta have a boxer or the show is over!" I've heard both versions in regards to what happened. But, honestly I wasn't there, so I don't know the truth.

What should a promoter offer an amateur fighter who "saved his ass by filling in?" Or, on the other hand, what should a promoter offer a fighter who volunteered to fight twice because of no-shows? The no-shows, I've been told, were the fault of the booker (why were there no-shows, anyway??? The booker never addressed that, only talked about money).

My original point is that EVERYTHING SHOULD BE IN WRITING AND SIGNED _BEFORE_, I say again, _BEFORE_ THE SHOW!!! I think we can all agree that this would solve 99% of the problems.

But what should happen to a booker who books a show for a promoter, and his fighters don't show up???? Hmmm...

Let's discuss that!
7/3/09 9:59 AM
takedownandsub

Lumbricus terrestris - 
takedownandsub - eddie fielder is the PT barnum of bum fights

lol. i have to see one of his shows if he has a bearded woman fight a pin head.

i literally LOL'd at this one, great stuff.....

FCFBLazer, the ABI is investigating the mercer-sylvia incident as an attempted murder.
7/3/09 11:59 AM
TomStedham

Well, give ME some credit... I was the first Alabama promoter to have "real" midget MMA...

Goldsby vs Marimberga doesn't count!!!
7/3/09 6:09 PM
MMAreaper

I've fought twice in one night a couple of times....both times were voluntary. The first time was for skip hall at his show. I lost my first match. Won my second match.   They didn't ask me to.  They didn't tell me i would get anything extra for it.  But after the event when they were doing payouts. I did get the gas money of the guy that no showed.  
7/6/09 11:51 AM
bam57bam

TomStedham - Um... did they have a ring doctor? I'd love to hear his story on how a kid with "a broken nose" fought an MMA bout...

And there are two sides to every story. Did the promoter "NEED him to fill in a no-show in a boxing match"?

Or, was there a no-show, and this fighter VOLUNTEERED to box? Meaning, "hey, I'll box" versus "OMG, we gotta have a boxer or the show is over!" I've heard both versions in regards to what happened. But, honestly I wasn't there, so I don't know the truth.

What should a promoter offer an amateur fighter who "saved his ass by filling in?" Or, on the other hand, what should a promoter offer a fighter who volunteered to fight twice because of no-shows? The no-shows, I've been told, were the fault of the booker (why were there no-shows, anyway??? The booker never addressed that, only talked about money).

My original point is that EVERYTHING SHOULD BE IN WRITING AND SIGNED _BEFORE_, I say again, _BEFORE_ THE SHOW!!! I think we can all agree that this would solve 99% of the problems.

But what should happen to a booker who books a show for a promoter, and his fighters don't show up???? Hmmm...

Let's discuss that!

Not sure about the ring doctor. I was outside with the guy when the promoter asked if anyone wanted to fill in. I'm not sure how it went down exactly. I do know for sure he had a broken nose after the first first fight. His nose was jacked up. But he wasnt complaining and went ahead to fight his MMA fight. Tough guy
7/12/09 1:14 AM
gorillagrappling

I'm sort of glad I don't promote shows Nymore. And after the mercer Sylvia show, I think I never will again.
2/15/13 6:57 PM
E Fielder

Edited: 02/22/13 12:39 AM
(Fact) I was never a promoter, never wanted to be, nor was I the booker at these fights. Mike Gibbons was the promoter. I just judged at the show and rented the boxing ring to Mike.
2/15/13 6:58 PM
E Fielder

Edited: 02/22/13 12:44 AM
I would love to hear the make believe stories as well! How could I be the PT Barnum at the Birmingham Race cource when Mike Gibbons was the promoter and match maker or booker?
2/15/13 7:23 PM
E Fielder

Edited: 02/22/13 12:30 AM
:)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.