UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Goju=Ryu Karate-is it for real?

7/1/09 9:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
keseki
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone know anything about Gogen Yamaguchi's eldest son's karate dojo in California. Used to be on Collingwood Street in the Castro District of San Francisco, next to the Street car tunnel entrance.

Ancient history for me.

Just curious.
7/1/09 4:36 PM
JesseL
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wow I didnt even know that was still around...its good stuff man!
7/6/09 5:51 AM
keseki
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did I neglect to mention that I wuz asking about Gogen Yamaguchi's eldest son's dojo (the son's name was Gosei)?

From what I experienced, Goju stresses combinations, rather than one punch killing (or KOs if homicide isn't your bag).
7/13/09 1:43 AM
irish bloke

the training though easily give syou one punch power i practice goju hopefuly i can bring it inot mma one day soon like lyoto did with shotokan
its an evasive style as well focusing on counterattacks
7/22/09 9:13 PM
Mr Dooley
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

have trained in goju ryu for 14 years and agree with irish bloke. id be cheering for you if you can bring it into mma!
7/24/09 9:17 AM
keseki

Edited: 08/11/09 6:06 AM
Deleted for National Security Reasons.
10/12/09 5:56 PM
Luigipe

Yes is for real, but depends the right training like the Father of Lyoto teach him Shotokan Style, a lot of evasives movements combine harder and softer techniques
10/15/09 1:26 PM
Luigipe

I am sure too Kyokushincatch
12/27/09 9:20 AM
de braco
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do the goju guys still do weight training with the rock on the end of the stick?
1/4/10 5:31 PM
Kolsyrade
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

de braco - Do the goju guys still do weight training with the rock on the end of the stick?

Many do
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE6wdyzk0lE
But not all dojos do it. Much as not all goju ryu dojos/organizations do full contact freefighting (iri kumi) instead of no contact sport fighting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebWMM4--j5s

Sadly, there are a lot of McDojo Goju ryu out there.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.