UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Back issue questions

7/1/09 10:33 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bee rad
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have had lower back pain for some time now (a couple of years).  Lower right and the pain seems to go into my right glute.  I have been reading up on pelvis tilts and posture and lifestyle in general (a lot of standing versus sitting).

I cannot get a grip on determining the difference of Anterior Pelvic Tilt and posterior pelvic tilt.  How do I set the right position of my pelvis and keep it there.

Any other thoughts or suggestions .
7/6/09 2:10 PM
Pson

Go see a Doctor..if your pain is shooting to your leg....I would not be a hard ass about it.
7/6/09 10:07 PM
martinburke
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First, go to a doctor to see if it's a bulging or herniated disc causing true sciatica. There's a little test you can do yourself (which i'm not a big fan of) to indicate whether or not it's a disc problem:

*Sit in a chair with both feet on the ground

*On the affected side, raise the lower leg by straightening your knee.

*If this increases the pain in the low back, hip area, or causes pain to shoot down the leg, it could indicate a disc problem. Stretching may not always be the best thing for disc related sciatica.

GO SEE A DOCTOR to be sure it's not vertebral.

There are several reasons that your pain could be caused by various muscles and their associated soft tissues. The piriformis muscle, a lateral rotator under your glute max, could be tight and clamping down on the sciatic nerve (false sciatica).

It could be caused by trigger points in quadratus lumborum, a muscle that runs from the top of your hips to the bottom of your ribs.

Make sure your psoas muscles are not contributing to anterior pelvic tilt. I find that psoas tightness often goes hand-in-hand with trigger points in quadratus.

It could also be a case of several body parts being slightly glued down working as a team to cause your pain.

http://www.anatomytrains.com/uploads/rich_media/AnatomyTrainsOverview.pdf

Of particular relevance to you is the Superficial Back Line. You could have a few minor restrictions in the line that are not noticeable by themselves, but since they're connected, they manifest in the spot you're feeling
7/6/09 10:36 PM
Bolo

The normal range for a male is 0 degrees to 5 degree anterior. For a female, it is 0 degrees to 10 degrees anterior. So saying that the pelvis is anterior doesn't mean there is in a position it shouldn't be in unless it is out of the appropriate range.
7/7/09 12:00 PM
bee rad

GREAT information.  Thank you. 

I have been to the Doctor and the result is usually the same, the 'cocktail' Muscle relaxors and pain pills.  I did ask the last time It really started hurting to give me a referal for PT.  I felt a little better, meaning there were more good days than bad.  The problem is I stay active.  I will lift weights around the pain...staying away from squats, deadlifts, etc while the pain is accute.  But I will still grapple and kickbox/mma. 

I listen to my body and will stay out of the gym when it is accute.  There is just this constant pain.

Again, great advice, thanks for posting!
8/27/09 6:15 PM
koreviewz
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KO-REVIEWS.COM, OWNER
 Bee Rad, try chiropractic.  Stay away from all the pain meds.  I've had something similar to what you had and it went away with rest, ice, chiropractic and supplements.

http://success-and-health.blogspot.com/

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.