UnderGround Forums

Jen >> Olive Oil

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

7/5/09 7:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bolo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most people have heard about the health benefits of consuming olive oil. I read somewhere though that there really isn't anything that checks the claims on the olive oil labels. So when you buy "Extra Virgin Olive Oil" that the label says is made in Italy, is that what we are really getting? Is it really extra virgin? I have read that there are instances which lower quality oil is mixed in and the average person has no way of find out for sure.

In the past, I bought Extra Virgin Olive Oil sold by Costco. A little while ago, someone start to sell their own organic high quality extra virgin oil at a farmer's market in our local area. I was blown away by the quality difference.

First, the olive oil I got from the farmers market had a light, almost citrus-like, sent to it. In comparison, the Costco olive oil had a strong pungent smell. Based on smell alone, the one sold at Costco was seem much more unpleasant.

Second, the olive oil from the farmer market was much more pleasant tasting. If I took a sip of it straight, I felt fine. If I took a sip of the one sold at Costco straight, I felt like I had to endure the unpleasant taste and if I look a big enough sip, I might want to spit it out.

Third, my wife would use olive oil on her skin like a lotion. The olive oil from the farmers market absorbed much better into her skin than the Costco brand. In addition, if she accidentally got some of the Costco brand into her eye, it would sting. If she got the one from the farmer's market into her eye, it did not sting.

The only downside to the olive oil we got at the farmer's market was that it is super expensive. I did also read somewhere that you don't really get the health benefits from extra virgin olive oil if you aren't consuming good quality, so for me, the cost is worth it.

I just wanted to share this interesting experience.
7/5/09 9:54 PM
Eel
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I too recently discovered the value
of high quality olive oil. I read something
about the color of the glass of the bottle
affecting the oil taste. I was at Whole
Foods and picked up a bottle of the
good stuff. It was a night and day
difference.
7/5/09 10:47 PM
cincibill

Yoga instructor was into natural foods and remedies, she recommended cold pressed olive oil. I don't remember the exact brand, but it seemed to gel or harden under refrigeration much more easily than the cheap stuff.
7/6/09 12:01 AM
Bolo

Yeah, you want to look for cold press extra virgin olive oil.
7/6/09 9:52 AM
Eel
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Michael,

What is your stance on coconut oil?
7/6/09 2:22 PM
Bolo

Virgin coconut oil is great too, however, I don't know any recipes that use it. I actually have some and use it as lotion and sunblock on my skin. If you look at people who live on tropical islands, traditionally, coconut oil is commonly used on the skin.
7/7/09 1:50 PM
The Gimp
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Different EVOOs have different tastes, textures, and flavor profiles.

Cook's Illustrated did a taste-test comparison of the EVOOs available at national grocery chains. Can't remember what the winner was, but it was one of the less expensive ones.
7/20/09 2:51 AM
Bolo

Let a Chinese lady smell the difference between the Costco olive oil and the high quality organic oil. She says to me in Chinese, "That one smells sweet. The other one (Costco brand) smells like fuel."

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.