UnderGround Forums

Jen >> MBF and nervous system

7/7/09 12:00 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ramses II
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What I don't understand about MBF is how it works. To get everything to line up and stay in proper alignment the system claims that this is done through exercises that involve the nervous system (paraphrase from what I remember).

What I don't understand is how the exercises do this any better than any other movement? Like why wouldn't walking, sitting, sex, or whatever do the same thing and cancel out the positive effect of the MBF treatment?

What is so special about these movements that they work on a neurological level? Or am I way off here in my interpretation?
7/7/09 1:45 AM
Bolo

Edited: 07/08/09 3:59 AM
If you want to know in detail how MBF works, I would suggest taking the courses. I have had several people who were curious enough to actually do this.

How are the exercise programs better than any other movement? It's not about comparing this exercise versus that exercise. MBF is not limited to any specific exercises. MBF principles can be applied to any exercise or movement. MBF is understanding what exercises and movements are appropriate for a person's body at a particular moment in time.

Why wouldn't walking, sitting, sex, or whatever do the same thing? If we did not live a modern westernize society and our lives were filled with functional movement throughout the day (like someone who lived in a primitive hunter/gather tribe) the natural movements would do what MBF tries to accomplish. The problem is that living in a modern westernized society lacks so much functional movement that it has caused our bodies to deviate from it natural design. The little bit of natural movement that we get each day is simply not enough to correct the imbalances causes by the tremendous amount of inactivity. Yes, if someone moved from modern westernized society and lived for a couple years with a primitive tribe in Africa or in the Amazon, their imbalances would be corrected by the volume of functional movement they would have on a daily basis. Since that amount of natural functional movement is not really practical in our society, some sort of therapy must be used to correct the imbalances.

As far as canceling out the effect produced by MBF, yes that is possible. That is why when I deal with clients, I tell them what other activities they should or should not be doing in addition to MBF. I specifically tell people, "If you do XXX right now, it will counteract the effect of the program I give you." I tell clients there are things that they need to stop doing for a little while, but then can get back into later and there are things in which I tell them they need to never do again.

When muscle imbalances occur, certain muscles are not doing their job or not doing it correctly The MBF programs simply re-teach the muscles (actually re-teach the brain) that of the job that specific muscle groups are supposed to be doing. When you have imbalances, certain muscles group will compensate for other muscle groups. So if you choose the wrong exercise, put the person in the wrong position, or do an exercise incorrectly, you will simply be working the compensating muscles and strengthening the imbalance. So by choosing the correct exercise in the correct positions and doing it every day, you are re-teaching the brain and telling it "This is how this muscle is supposed to be working and this is how it is supposed to be working in relation to others". But remember that re-teaching the brain is not about just the exercise itself, but also how often this "new" pattern is input. I think that is one area which you may have a misunderstanding. I think you got the impression that is was the exercise itself that causes the change on a neurological level. It's the whole program that makes the change. This is why MBF requires that a person do the program every day and update programs at specific times. This is also why we don't do different programs every day. Since we want to re-teach the brain, we sometimes can't do whatever we want to do (or not do) and need to stick with the program even though it may get boring.

In addition, let me add that all forms of exercise work on the neurological level. The problem when imbalances are not resolved, incorrect exercises are given, etc.... is that a dysfunctional pattern in created and cemented into the brain. Something abnormal is being taught to the brain as being normal. MBF attempts to erase this dyfunctional pattern and create a "new" pattern.
7/7/09 2:24 PM
cincibill

Before I started the program, I had the same question. That's a great ans.
7/7/09 10:30 PM
Ramses II

Thanks. That was a great answer, and cleared up everything thing I was wondering about.
7/7/09 10:49 PM
Ramses II

Edited: 07/07/09 10:58 PM
Mike,Have you read the ebook or seen the CD-ROM that Geoff offers? If so, do you think I could make my own program from it?
7/8/09 12:38 AM
Bolo

Edited: 07/08/09 2:54 AM
Yes, I have seen the CD-Rom. It is just repeating the text of the course. However, the text is more like an outline for the course rather than repeating word-for-word what is in the course. The text/CD-rom will not give you the "secrets" of the system. So, no you would not be able to create for yourself accurate programs from reading the material on the CD-rom. There really isn't any shortcut to getting MBF programs.
7/8/09 4:26 PM
petrochemical

What could happen if you tried to create your own programs? Also why are the courses so expensive?
7/8/09 5:11 PM
Bolo

Edited: 07/08/09 5:12 PM
Geoff has a flat fee, so if you wanted to decrease the cost as much as possible, all you would need to do is to host a course and then get as many people as you would need to evenly split the cost at a price that you felt was affordable for you.

What could happen if you tried to create your own programs without knowing how to choose exercises, positions, and sequence the exercises? Well, you most likely wouldn't get the result that you wanted. If you knew all that information, you may be able to give yourself programs just fine.

Even if you had all the necessary information, I find that practitioners tend to not be great at giving themselves programs. The reason is that I find most practitioners tend to not be able to really look at their bodies and situations very objectively. Most practitioners tend to be able took at other people's situations much more objectively than their own.

Whenever I suffered an acute injury in the past, I had no problems giving myself programs right away to begin dealing with the problem. But, I would always double check with Geoff later just to make sure everything was perfect because I know that I sometimes I don't look at my own situation as objectively as I would like. I'm not saying that every practitioner has this problem. I do it because I know my own flaws and I've known a few other people who have had the same issue.
7/8/09 7:12 PM
Bolo

Since I mentioned about the lack of functional movement in modern society earlier, I thought mention an interesting story.....

I recently had a Korean lady come to me for MBF about her knee pain and neck/trap pain. She had also had bad back pain a little while ago. She said that she had been in the US for 5 years and the pains started to get these pains after she had been in the US for about 2 years.

I had talk to her about her lack of movement, especially walking, and how that was a big source of her problems (along with her stress at work). She then said that when she was in Korea, she never had any pains. Because she did not have a car in Korea, she walked and took the bus everywhere. She said she did tons of walking, not for working out, but just to get around in regular life. When she came to the US, she went from tons of walking to no walking at all. So I told her that along with doing her MBF program, she had to start taking walks every day. A few weeks later, she called me and said her knee and neck felt a lot better. She was walking every day and said that, at first, she felt like her body had forgotten what it was like to take walks.

My brother's girlfriend is getting her PhD in some sort of study of tropical plants. As a result, she will often travel to places like the jungles of Costa Rica. His girlfriend would often mention how she had neck and upper back pain, however, whenever she was in Costa Rica, all her pains would go away. She realized that when she was in the jungles of Costa Rica she had tons of functional movement every day. Coincidentally, she also noticed that every time she left the US, she was always lose weight.
7/8/09 7:44 PM
petrochemical

Didn't you say that Geoff maintains his posture with functional movement alone, and doesn't usually need a continuous mbf program?
7/8/09 8:10 PM
Bolo

Edited: 07/08/09 8:16 PM
Yes and no.

If Geoff is in a situation where he can get a lot of functional movement, then the variety of natural movement can maintain the function of his body. For example, when he lived in Kaui, he did not have a car, so he walked and rode his bike everywhere. He also surfed a lot and would occasionally do some running. He felt that could maintain the function of his body wit these natural movements. The thing is that Geoff is willing to live without a car and walk and bike everywhere. Most people aren't willing to do that.

When he moved to New York. he felt he was unable to get as much variety of natural movement and he felt he did less walking and biking than he did in Kaui. As a result, he had to maintain his body with strength programs that contained bodyweight and kettlebell exercises. These strength exercises are chosen and sequenced using MBF principles.

Of course if Geoff gets injured, he needs to go back and do MBF programs. Recently, his C1 vertebrae got moved out of place. This immediately made his body unilateral and he needed to do MBF programs until he was able to get adjusted and have that vertebrae put back into place and re-aligned.
7/9/09 4:21 AM
Dougyboy

Are there MBF exercises that will adjust the C1 vertebrae? Can it move to the correct position by itself over time with MBF? Those C1 chiro's don't come cheap.

Thanks.
7/9/09 4:43 AM
Bolo

No, MBF exercises cannot adjust the C1 back into place. When that is out of place, a person needs to see a someone like a NUCCA chiro. The NUCCA chiro I go to is expensive when it comes to the first visit, but after that, subsequent visits are reasonable.

I have had great results from the combination of NUCCA and MBF, however, NUCCA can get expensive for BJJ practitioners because I believe that BJJ training will continuously put the C1 out of place. For me, the time and money is something I just accept this as part what I need to to improve my body with BJJ as part of my life.

My experience with NUCCA has also taught me a lot about my own body and dysfunctional patterns that I have ingrained.
7/14/09 5:35 PM
Bolo

When it comes dysfunctional patterns, it is very interesting to see how various injuries created different imbalances depending on the state of the body at a particular moment in time.

In the past, the left side of my body was rotated forward a lot. I actually had counter-rotation, however, I had built so much strength into my upper body rotation that it overpowered the lower body rotation that was in the opposite direction which made it look like both upper and lower body was rotated in the same direction.

When I injured my knee and got it popped sideways over a year ago, that caused the right side of my body to rotate forward. As I corrected the imbalance created by that acute injury, my body began to go back to being left side forward (though significantly less than in the past).

Recently, I injured my low back when jumping on a trampoline. This caused my left hip to rotate forward and my right torso to rotate forward, putting counter rotation in my body. Because I do not want to ingrain a dysfunctional pattern, I started to do a "first aid" program right away and would do it up to 4 times a day for the first couple days.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.