Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in last two weeks...

kill self?
7/7/09 2:12 PM
Fake Pie
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow... that sucks. Kill self immediately.
7/8/09 11:19 PM
Shaz

When I was doing civil work I once billed 330 hours in a month.  I'm no longer doing civil work.

-Shaz! 
7/9/09 3:11 AM
Xtina

Edited: 07/09/09 3:14 AM
i hear ya.  i've started getting pissed off every time i see a sunrise because it means i'm either starting work at an ungodly hour, or i'm still working from the day before. 
7/9/09 1:51 PM
goku

Shaz -  When I was doing civil work I once billed 330 hours in a month.  I'm no longer doing civil work.

-Shaz! 

disgusting
7/9/09 1:58 PM
goku

Xtina - i hear ya.  i've started getting pissed off every time i see a sunrise because it means i'm either starting work at an ungodly hour, or i'm still working from the day before. 

i though the economy was shitty and we didnt have work and thats why the are freezing/cutting our salaries...wtf???
7/10/09 8:12 PM
Xtina

yeah, imagine what work would be like if the economy were good.  count your blessings.
7/10/09 8:19 PM
Fake Pie
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I have a busy month... I hate life because I am working a lot. If I have a slow months... I hate life because I am certain I am getting laid off. Wah.
7/11/09 9:39 PM
jclay

What exactly is the routine? A big project you work 12 hours a day on, or one thing after another?
7/13/09 10:21 PM
PrettyBoy
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get me a job - I'll pick up some of the slack
7/14/09 12:33 AM
goku

jclay - What exactly is the routine? A big project you work 12 hours a day on, or one thing after another?

basically just one deal...around 10-12 hrs a day every day (including weekends and the 4th of july) + a few all nighters mixed in
7/14/09 2:25 AM
Xtina

slacker
7/16/09 6:46 PM
pm1964
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Better you than me.
7/16/09 10:51 PM
jclay

Is it really worth the money to work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week?

How much do federal agencies pay? Could a corporate guy get into the SEC or something and make 80-100K, get good benefits, and have weekends that are weekends?
7/16/09 10:53 PM
jclay

Edited: 07/16/09 10:53 PM
But 40k as an ASA is going to hurt, and it looks like that is where I'm heading. Hopefully I can get into something federal eventually. I was told that they have options where you can work 10 hours a day and have 4 day work weeks.
7/16/09 11:19 PM
jclay

Xtina - i hear ya.  i've started getting pissed off every time i see a sunrise because it means i'm either starting work at an ungodly hour, or i'm still working from the day before. 

You are single, right?

Where does all the money go? Law school loans? Mortgage? Eventually you will pay these things off, especially if you are single and climb the corporate ladder -- but then what? You would have to live ridiculously to get into consumer debt. What is the plan, early retirement? Leave a trust fund for your cat?
7/17/09 1:10 AM
Xtina

Edited: 07/17/09 1:42 AM
Well, that was entirely too long.  The money goes to law school loans, the mortgage, and the retirement nest egg. 
7/17/09 9:39 AM
jclay

Xtina - Well, that was entirely too long.  The money goes to law school loans, the mortgage, and the retirement nest egg. 

My worry would be that after working 40+ years at a big law firm, I retire an angry, bitter man who chases kids off his lawn (mortgage paid off) with a garden hose.
7/17/09 10:08 AM
Xtina

shoot, i was an angry, bitter man who chased kids off his lawn with a garden hose even before law school.

maybe i shouldn't have deleted the original post. 

most people don't even last 10 years at a big firm.  they either leave or get pushed out.  there's no guarantee that you'll be there long, even if you're smart and hardworking.  in many careers there's a slow and steady increase in salary as time goes on.  if you start at a big firm, you have a very high starting salary, but it's usually downhill from there once you leave biglaw.  you make the most of what you've got while you've got it. 
7/17/09 1:29 PM
jclay

That sounds too good to be true, turducken. I assume you could throw PI nuisance cases into the mix? Hey, maybe they fired her for being black and she tripped on the bunched-up rug as she left in tears.

If it was that easy to make money, how is the market not saturated with these lawyers?
7/19/09 12:30 AM
Shaz

jclay - That sounds too good to be true, turducken. I assume you could throw PI nuisance cases into the mix? Hey, maybe they fired her for being black and she tripped on the bunched-up rug as she left in tears.

If it was that easy to make money, how is the market not saturated with these lawyers?
Have you been to the courthouses lately?

-Shaz!

7/20/09 11:54 AM
Fake Pie

Edited: 07/20/09 11:54 AM
I would disagree with what Turducken wrote. Companies will fight nuisance suits for the precise reason of discouraging them. They know if they just settle them, they will be seen as an easy pay off and get that many more filed against them. if they fight even the small claims tooth and nail, that many less people will be willing to bother with mere nuisance suits against them. We have a labor/employment group and they regularly go up against pro-se or other douchey claimants. At the end of the day, spending 20K on a 3K claim saves the company way more than becoming an easy settlement for nuisance claims in the long run.
7/21/09 12:03 PM
Fake Pie

I'm basically still at work from yesterday. I am feeling your pain, though it should end today.
7/21/09 12:49 PM
goku

your life? dont do it!
7/22/09 11:50 AM
Fake Pie

I was up (and pretty much at the office) for about 40 hours straight. Still not over.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.