UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Spontaneous eBay purchase yesterday

7/7/09 1:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
whaledog
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/08/09 12:33 PM

Sure, I didn't need it, but since when does need have anything to do with it?

Harmony 1213. I'm guessing it's 45-50 years old, but I'll have to try to find a date stamp when I get it. Body is solid Birch. Neck is hard maple stained to look like Rosewood.  Original bridge has been replaced with something that looks like it might intonate.

I'm hoping it's good for playing back porch style blues, and I can't wait for the bastard to send it to me.  
7/8/09 12:10 PM
Hillbilly
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I`ve had a few of those over the years. Pretty cool!
7/8/09 1:48 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool guitar man! I love those old archtops, I've got one roughly the same age. Whadja spring for it?
7/8/09 5:32 PM
whaledog
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/08/09 5:32 PM
DasBeaver - Cool guitar man! I love those old archtops, I've got one roughly the same age. Whadja spring for it?
I probably overpaid a bit.  $193 ($215 with shipping).  But it looked to be in good shape and, like I said, it was spontenous.

Fex Ex says it's scheduled to arrive on Friday!

7/9/09 3:27 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not a bad price at all, probably exactly what it's worth. That's what I paid for mine at least, so let humor each other.
7/15/09 5:03 PM
Georbraham Linkington
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Spontaneous Ebay purchases are my weakness, I must have spent over 20k on guitars/amps/effects/recording/ect in the last 10 years. Yet I always end up selling most of it within months
7/16/09 5:38 PM
Extendo
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sweet. I nearly bought one the other day as well.
7/16/09 6:21 PM
whaledog

Edited: 07/16/09 6:33 PM
Extendo - Sweet. I nearly bought one the other day as well.

Thanks.  I got the guitar.  The non-stock bridge intonates, but is WAY high.  It's a floating bridge, so it should be easy to replace.  I just gotta decide whether I want to keep the guitar before I put money and time into it.

7/20/09 11:58 AM
Racer X
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From the pics it looks like the bridge is bottomed out adjustment wise, but the action is still a bit high? If that's the case, it may need a change in the neck angle to really get the best combo of action and bridge to tailpiece pitch.

Of course I can't really tell much from a picture.

By the way, I think Das Beav had talked about a pickup for this style guitar on another thread. I think the answer is a thin profile unit made by Lace.

It's a humbucker that's only .275" tall. It has a cable with a jack installed so you can use it without cutting up your guitar if desired, or permanent mount it.  Retails for $199.00. I'm gonna get one to check out.

7/20/09 12:07 PM
whaledog

Edited: 07/20/09 12:10 PM
Racer X -  From the pics it looks like the bridge is bottomed out adjustment wise, but the action is still a bit high? If that's the case, it may need a change in the neck angle to really get the best combo of action and bridge to tailpiece pitch.

By the way, I think Das Beav had talked about a pickup for this style guitar on another thread. I think the answer is a thin profile unit made by Lace.

It's a humbucker that's only .275" tall. It has a cable with a jack installed so you can use it without cutting up your guitar if desired, or permanent mount it.  Retails for $199.00. I'm gonna get one to check out.

Thanks for the tips.  Yeah, the bridge is adjusted as low as it goes.  I was thinking that I have to replace the bridge and hope that a stock/replacement bridge would not be so high. 

Can you explain how the change in the neck angle helps?  It seems to me that, no matter what the angle, the bridge would still be awfully high - and so the action would be high, too.

Truth is, I'm hesitent to put too much money into this thing.  Harmony guitars were cheap when they were built 45-50 years ago, and I could spend hundreds of dollars to get it 'just right', but it'd still be a cheap guitar when I'm done.

The pickup is intruiging, though.  I'm guessing that it doesn't work well with the curve of an archtop. But, if you get one, please let me know what you think of it. 

7/21/09 11:13 AM
Racer X
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's like this: If you were to make a saw cut between the neck and body that created a slight gap right up to the fingerboard, the neck could tilt back just a bit more. If the bridge remains the same height, the strings will be brought closer to the fingerboard by this tilting.  If you look up "neck reset" on the internet I'm sure you will see some examples that will clarify.

On a guitar of that value, I have done what I call a "poor man's reset. I slice out wood between the neck and body as described, then drill a hole for a strap button at the end of the heel. the hole gets drilled to clear a long screw that goes into the neck block inside. some glue and installing the strap button draws the neck into position and PRESTO!, we have a reset neck angle for $100 instead of the $400-$600 it costs on a fine acoustic.

The pickup will work just fine with the arch of the top. Gaps at the ends can be filled with lots of materials depending on your taste. Wood,felt,cork,plastic. All could be shaped to do the job.
7/21/09 11:43 AM
Hillbilly
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is my latest E-bay purchase. A Gretsch G100 for $300.00!!! I added an old D`Armond slider (without the slider)pickup. I`ve been gigging with it and it sounds great!

http://s742.photobucket.com/albums/xx67/Chordchunker/?action=view¤t=Gretsch2.jpg
7/21/09 11:55 AM
Hillbilly

Edited: 07/21/09 11:58 AM
double
7/21/09 1:17 PM
whaledog

Hillbilly - This is my latest E-bay purchase. A Gretsch G100 for $300.00!!! I added an old D`Armond slider (without the slider)pickup. I`ve been gigging with it and it sounds great!

http://s742.photobucket.com/albums/xx67/Chordchunker/?action=view&current=Gretsch2.jpg

Wow.  She's a beauty!
7/21/09 1:26 PM
whaledog

Racer X -  It's like this: If you were to make a saw cut between the neck and body that created a slight gap right up to the fingerboard, the neck could tilt back just a bit more. If the bridge remains the same height, the strings will be brought closer to the fingerboard by this tilting.  If you look up "neck reset" on the internet I'm sure you will see some examples that will clarify.

On a guitar of that value, I have done what I call a "poor man's reset. I slice out wood between the neck and body as described, then drill a hole for a strap button at the end of the heel. the hole gets drilled to clear a long screw that goes into the neck block inside. some glue and installing the strap button draws the neck into position and PRESTO!, we have a reset neck angle for $100 instead of the $400-$600 it costs on a fine acoustic.

The pickup will work just fine with the arch of the top. Gaps at the ends can be filled with lots of materials depending on your taste. Wood,felt,cork,plastic. All could be shaped to do the job.
Thanks.  I may try to find someone here in L.A. who can do the 'poor man's reset'.

Or, is this something a newb could try himself?  You know, get a shim annd a drill & hope for the best?

7/21/09 2:37 PM
Racer X

Mmm, wouldn't suggest it for a newb project. If you can't find someone down there, I'm just up the coast in San Jose/Santa Cruz (I live in both). Easy and pretty cheap to ship it.

There ought to be a handful of guys down there willing to take it on,though. Good Luck.
7/22/09 6:28 AM
DasBeaver

Racer X -  From the pics it looks like the bridge is bottomed out adjustment wise, but the action is still a bit high? If that's the case, it may need a change in the neck angle to really get the best combo of action and bridge to tailpiece pitch.

That's exactly what I've been looking for! Thanks man, I await your review with bated breath.
7/22/09 6:29 AM
DasBeaver

Hillbilly - This is my latest E-bay purchase. A Gretsch G100 for $300.00!!! I added an old D`Armond slider (without the slider)pickup. I`ve been gigging with it and it sounds great!

http://s742.photobucket.com/albums/xx67/Chordchunker/?action=view¤t=Gretsch2.jpg

$300? Do you guys know of some other ebay or something?
7/22/09 1:36 PM
Hillbilly

Naw I just got real lucky, plus it`s a buyers market right now.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.