UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Fastest car under $30K?

7/8/09 4:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CavemanDave
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GJJ2803 - I think it's hilarious that most people trash American made cars and have never owned one.

Every Chevy I've ever owned was always a great truck. Never had any problems.

Only bought a jap car to save gas when it was over 4 bucks a gallon. Looking to buy another Chevy truck right now actually.

Anyway, go with a Camaro if you can find one with a v8 and a few thousand miles. I'm sure you'll find a nice one with less than 10k miles on it and will get the best bang for your buck.

Same here.

It's simply a massive misconception.  I've owned a combination of imports and domestics.  The domestics have held up better than the imports.  I would say there are a few more nickle and dime things on a few of the domestics (in general) but the imports I've had (in general) have had more serious and costly problems in the long run. 
7/8/09 5:22 AM
HuntingtonPUNK
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didnt say an EVO is a better car or gets better gains then a Z06 or 911 Twin, even if it wins its still a rice box. I understand that but its pretty ok to have a 25K car with 3K mods and pull with them

lol the slowbaru owner getting all bent, listen, in case you didnt read my previous post, I've OWNED BOTH, I dont have either now, so theirs no reason for me to bullsht here. Evo's spank Subaru's all day at the track, you should go sometime and they smash them on the dyno

I OWNED BOTH, MODDED BOTH, lmao

and Road Warrior, according to your stupid fkn "logic", bringing price into the mix, youre done. Lets take the difference in price of the two cars and make them equal you fkn idiot.

I paid $25,500 for my stock EVO RS, lets put the difference in car price and mod the fk out of the EVO, how much modding does that give us? 40K+ worth of mods to make them equal? YOU IDIOT

dont be stupid

11.86 EVO 119mph, total price around 29K, everything new

hard to beat it for the money

lol subaru, I'd never buy another, way way to expensive to mod. They just dont hold up to Evo's and I'm the expert on it, if you havent owned both, stuff it or sell your Slowbaru and go Evo, get some real power
7/8/09 5:24 AM
MisoWhoreKnee
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SILK -  Top Gear has since done another Evo vs Sti test (Late last year/early this year?) They tested the Evo 10 vs the latest Subaru Sti.
Mitsubishi fixed most their problems, and the Evo beat the pants of the Sti.
Unfortunately i can't find the vid on youtube, so here is the link to the Top Gear website (And if somebody knows how to embed the vid, PLEASE do so!!!!)
www.topgear.com/uk/videos/evo-vs-scooby#/uk/video-search

www.topgear.com/uk/videos/evo-vs-scooby

Awesome vid. Well worth the watch.

The EDM Evo is pretty much the same as the USDM Evo.  The EDM STi is a 2L while the USDM STi is a 2.5L and is a torque monster.  The USDM Evo is about 300lbs heavier than the USDM STi.  So even though the Evo has some advantages by having YAW control and a dual clutch set up it generally runs about as quick 1/4 and around the track as the STi due to being an overweight pig. 

7/8/09 5:29 AM
HuntingtonPUNK

comparing stock is lame, nobody keeps these cars stock. Evo's have forged parts and the motor is in the right place, the STI motor and everything designed about it is a mess really, try and work on one. Anyone will half a brain can mod their Evo's themeselves but good luck with the Subaru, its design is a mess

cant stand them
7/8/09 5:36 AM
HuntingtonPUNK

These were my Evo mods I ran the times with, basic sht, I installed everything on my own except the cams.

Hallman MBC
DynoFlash
Buscher FMIC
HKS Cams
TBE - Greddy Evo2/SSR Downpipe
Injen Intake
7/8/09 8:45 AM
Road Warrior Fin
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HuntingtonPUNK - I didnt say an EVO is a better car or gets better gains then a Z06 or 911 Twin, even if it wins its still a rice box. I understand that but its pretty ok to have a 25K car with 3K mods and pull with them

lol the slowbaru owner getting all bent, listen, in case you didnt read my previous post, I've OWNED BOTH, I dont have either now, so theirs no reason for me to bullsht here. Evo's spank Subaru's all day at the track, you should go sometime and they smash them on the dyno

I OWNED BOTH, MODDED BOTH, lmao

and Road Warrior, according to your stupid fkn "logic", bringing price into the mix, youre done. Lets take the difference in price of the two cars and make them equal you fkn idiot.

I paid $25,500 for my stock EVO RS, lets put the difference in car price and mod the fk out of the EVO, how much modding does that give us? 40K+ worth of mods to make them equal? YOU IDIOT

dont be stupid

11.86 EVO 119mph, total price around 29K, everything new

hard to beat it for the money

lol subaru, I'd never buy another, way way to expensive to mod. They just dont hold up to Evo's and I'm the expert on it, if you havent owned both, stuff it or sell your Slowbaru and go Evo, get some real power

As I said before - anyone who says they have never been beat, has not done enough racing.  I thought you are from Cali? Is the Cali Carb shit that tough where it has killed the scene? Otherwise, I would easily think there would be more than enough cars out there to race.

7/8/09 9:58 AM
Pig Bun
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

V-6 6spd Accords are now solid 14-second cars. I believe the NEWEST ones (8th gen) are actually a tad slower than the previous versions - 8th's have more power, but gained about 200# in weight.

Some bone-stock 7th gens have trapped 97+mph. If they were rearwheel drive, they would be SERIOUS threats to the Mustangs.

G8's are faster, but I believe they are finished importing them. What is on the lots is probably all there will ever be. I've seen them priced at $27k with decent options, though.
7/8/09 10:01 AM
BigDaddyPerkins
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Used Vette Unclephilly was correct.
7/8/09 10:15 AM
EddieAdams

Where do you live? Daily driver? You'll hate a vette if you drive it everyday. 350z doesn't live up to the hype. Sluggish with soft suspension. Can be tuned to be a great car. If it snows where you live, I'd say WRX. Otherwise get whatever. If you're leasing then it doesn't matter how reliable the car is. Financing, buy Japanese.....UAW has screwed the American car companies and what you get for your money, quality and value wise.
Could probably get a used STI for under 30k easily. Look for a STI limited because it was probably purchased by a older person and not beaten to shit by a teenager/20 something. Plus it is toned down compared to the normal STI styling. NEW I'd definitely say 4-door WRX not the 5-door hatchback one. Looks like shit IMO, even the STI version is garbage looking.
The only car that makes sense to purchase is a 2 year-old car with low mileage from a dealer with warranty. Otherwise, you're just throwing money away....(like we all do)
7/8/09 11:29 AM
anunaki
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

$32,400 for the G35 Sport 6MT model with close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission.

you're welcome
7/8/09 11:44 AM
MrSmiff
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Free Ballin - 
MrSmiff - Mustang GT is the quickest for under 30K - the Pontiac G8 GT is the quickest sedan under 30K

wat? G8 GT is definitely faster than the Mustang GT.

To TS: If it has to be a new car - G8 GT is the fastest under $30k, however within the next year you might be able to get a new Camaro SS under 30k and that will take the top spot.

If used - there are tons of cars that are faster and look better than both of them.

No....The G8 GT does 0-60 in 5.3 seconds (13.8 seconds @ 102.8mph for 1/4mile) while the 700+lb lighter Mustang does it in 4.9 seconds (13.5 seconds @ 104.2 mph for 1/4mile). I answered the question based on it being a 2009-10 model. If he's going to buy used but still wants fast, he's going to be hard pressed to find anything quicker than a Vette for the money. I also wouldn't want to buy anything that was "hoped up" with aftermarket parts......alot can go wrong buying a car that has far more horsepower than was originally intended without upgrading everything else to accomodate the increase in hp.

I used Motor Trend for the source for the Mustang GT and the G8 GT

Smiff
7/8/09 11:47 AM
disbeliever
318 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

neon srt4
7/8/09 11:53 AM
LiveWire
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Road Warrior Fin -  Miso knows what he is talking about.

Vishnu ftw! Have you seen what he has done to the 35 in the bimmers?

I have. The guy knows what the fuck he's doing.
7/8/09 11:56 AM
White347LX

A Mustang GT is about $26K. Nothing will beat one for that price and the aftermarket for this car is literally 10 times greater than any other car out there. Buy a blower for another $4K and you'll absolutely kickfuck anything else under $90K.

Seeing this thread go from "fastest car" to talking about a Accord, I imagine threadstarter has no idea what a fast car is.
7/8/09 12:21 PM
Irreversible

Yojimbo
 You can buy a used GTO for 20K with less than 30K miles. 6k later it is maggied and cammed and you'd still have 4K for suspension and rubber.

I'd take the maggied goat over the GT + 4k. Not only is it a nicer car overall, I bet it could hang pretty well.

But if you think an Accord belongs on this thread, you're better off forgetting everything I just said. Not only will you lose your license forever, you'll probably end up dead.
7/8/09 12:31 PM
MrSmiff

White347LX: I don't know about adding a 4K blower and having it kickfuck anything else under 90K........you'd need to add brakes, possibly upgrade the drive train, change the gearing + the issues of more stress on the crank, rods, rear end etc to really get everything out of the car......There's alot more to add than a 4K blower, unless you only wanna go fast in a straight line and not worry about braking and having a reliable car.
7/8/09 12:39 PM
Road Warrior Fin
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MrSmiff - White347LX: I don't know about adding a 4K blower and having it kickfuck anything else under 90K........you'd need to add brakes, possibly upgrade the drive train, change the gearing + the issues of more stress on the crank, rods, rear end etc to really get everything out of the car......There's alot more to add than a 4K blower, unless you only wanna go fast in a straight line and not worry about braking and having a reliable car.

Watch the hook ;) White does know better.
7/8/09 1:18 PM
MrSmiff

Road Warrior Fin - 
MrSmiff - White347LX: I don't know about adding a 4K blower and having it kickfuck anything else under 90K........you'd need to add brakes, possibly upgrade the drive train, change the gearing + the issues of more stress on the crank, rods, rear end etc to really get everything out of the car......There's alot more to add than a 4K blower, unless you only wanna go fast in a straight line and not worry about braking and having a reliable car.

Watch the hook ;) White does know better.

Hahaha, yeah, after re-reading White's post I realized that he had to be looking for someone like me :).......luckily it won't go any further than this

A 4K blower making up for 60K difference in other rides and I respond.......lol@me

tks RWF
7/8/09 1:20 PM
MisoWhoreKnee
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HuntingtonPUNK - These were my Evo mods I ran the times with, basic sht, I installed everything on my own except the cams.

Hallman MBC
DynoFlash
Buscher FMIC
HKS Cams
Injen Intake

If you consider cams a basic mod then my GT35R on my 06 STi should have been considered a basic mod too.  Hell, I didn't even have to crack the motor.

7/8/09 1:26 PM
White347LX

What do brakes have to do with one car outrunning another one from a stoplight? Also, getting a car like a Mustang or any LS engined machine saves you money in the long run because not only is your potential for performance much greater since you started with a performance car in the first place, but there's already a huge knowledge base and aftermarket to get you where you want to go with these cars.

Also, the drivetrain in a LS car or Mustang can handle considerably more power than the factory provides. A blower putting RWHP up around 400-450 isn't going to break anything except the tires. lol
7/8/09 1:28 PM
White347LX

MisoWhoreKnee - 
HuntingtonPUNK - These were my Evo mods I ran the times with, basic sht, I installed everything on my own except the cams.

Hallman MBC
DynoFlash
Buscher FMIC
HKS Cams
Injen Intake

If you consider cams a basic mod then my GT35R on my 06 STi should have been considered a basic mod too.  Hell, I didn't even have to crack the motor.

That is one sweet turbo, isn't it? I put one on a friend's Galant VR4 this winter and he's having a blast taking out the new Mitsus with it.
7/8/09 1:33 PM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cams are not a basic mod.

White is correct.

If you consider anything that is bolt-on to be a basic mod, then fitting a front mount turbo to a mustang will get you near 450hp and near 600ft pounds of torque.

At least it did for our car that was bought from an insurance company (salvage title) and fixed.

Total cost was under 20k including turbo stuff and the car only has 5k miles.
7/8/09 1:47 PM
SoulBurn18

I would probably go for the 350z.  While it's not as fast as the Mustang GT ( we raced them to find out), it handles A LOT better when taking corners and doing stupid tricks.  :)
7/8/09 1:58 PM
HuntingtonPUNK

Cams take 20min to install, installation from a formula 1 race care mechanic was $125 and took 30 minutes. I installed myself going back to stock after watching him do it, no problem.

its a simple mod and easier to install then a TBE
7/8/09 2:01 PM
chokeyou

here ya go

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.