UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Fastest car under $30K?

7/8/09 2:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HuntingtonPUNK
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/08/09 2:05 PM
why are you people suggesting heavy ass cars. 350z, Infinity are really heavy and also cost a lot to mod. You have to be a midget to drive a 350z

lol I didnt race enough, people fk'd with me in that car I posted non stop. They saw that car and they know why I got it, theirs was no guessing whats is was for and I had that things out at Willow Springs like a mad man, I got plenty of use out of it. Not one mechanical problem with it either, bullet proof. You drive a car that runs under 12sec and youre not going to run into many cars that are going to beat you on the street

the questions here are which car take to mods the best, best bang for buck. Mustang and Evo are untouchable, Z06 take to gains like mthr fkrs but you start with a heavy price to begin with, who can afford that car.

get a Mustang or Evo RS, whatever one is your style. Best bang for buck
7/8/09 2:06 PM
slo ko
1162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

White347LX - A Mustang GT is about $26K. Nothing will beat one for that price and the aftermarket for this car is literally 10 times greater than any other car out there. Buy a blower for another $4K and you'll absolutely kickfuck anything else under $90K.

Seeing this thread go from "fastest car" to talking about a Accord, I imagine threadstarter has no idea what a fast car is.
Great call if you want a new car, which I realize the OP asked for. But if you want a used car that will knock the socks off that GT there are PLENTY of gently used M3s for sale within your price range.

White probably knew i was going to show up pitching for Beemer. ;-)

7/8/09 2:10 PM
HuntingtonPUNK

http://www.vishnutuning.com/

study this site, you'll see which cars take to mods best. The STI vs Evo charts are laughable, Vishnu hates STI's and a lot of tunners thats tunned both in the past wont mess with Subaru's anymore

and I drove a lot of Crawfords STI's (I-SPEED) and they built mine, it put out power but I had to dump way to much money in it
7/8/09 2:19 PM
eviladam
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

White347LX - A Mustang GT is about $26K. Nothing will beat one for that price and the aftermarket for this car is literally 10 times greater than any other car out there. Buy a blower for another $4K and you'll absolutely kickfuck anything else under $90K.

Seeing this thread go from "fastest car" to talking about a Accord, I imagine threadstarter has no idea what a fast car is.

not accordion to car and driver. new wrx is faster 0-60 and through the 1/4 mile:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/quickest_cars_0_60_mph/the_quickest_cars_of_2009_25_000_to_30_000_feature
7/8/09 2:57 PM
Mas Tisu
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bang for the buck (as far as 1/4 mile performance), it is hard to beat the Mustang. Like White347LX said in so many words, the aftermarket support for this car is better than most, and for not a whole lot more than sticker-price, you can have a 12 second car that is everyday reliable (I realize this is the OG, and everyone here drives a bone-stock car that runs mid-elevens, so a $30K 12-second daily driver is probably not that impressive). And forget the info on a lot of the car forums, just go to your local drag-strip on test and tune night yourself, you'll see which cars are running what mods, and how fast they are. Now, if you want a canyon-carver, that's a little different.
7/8/09 3:05 PM
Mica Kizbig
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Buy a mint Fox Body Mustang (87-93) maybe 10K. Have the motor rebuilt and stroked to a 331ci maybe 2-3K, Get a heads/cam/ intake combo, maybe 3K, get a 8-10psi supercharger bout 3-4K, get the transmission and rear end done, about 3-4K and then do the 4 wheel disk upgrade which can be done for about 1-2K, then throw about 2K worth of suspension mods.

You would have a car that had about 600hp, handled well and would probably rip off 11 second quarter miles and you could drive it home from the track.
7/8/09 3:06 PM
disbeliever
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ cams being a basic install. If you find 50 people 49.5 wont have a clue how to do a mod that intense.
7/8/09 3:09 PM
Mica Kizbig
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They arent basic but it sure as hell isnt brain surgery. Harder to do in the modular engines but again, not brain surgery.
7/8/09 3:18 PM
slo ko
1162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mas Tisu - And forget the info on a lot of the car forums, just go to your local drag-strip on test and tune night yourself, you'll see which cars are running what mods, and how fast they are. Now, if you want a canyon-carver, that's a little different.
...and pay attention to who is running trailer babies or having to jump start their car between runs or spray down their intercooler with a CO2 extinguisher between runs.

For $30k I will find you a gently used M3 in immaculate condition that did not live its life at redline and will get you to 60 mph in 4 seconds. I know the guys in these car clubs. They back their cars out onto their driveways and wipe them down with cloth diapers whether or not they drove them since their last wipe down. They have all their proof of maintenance, including Inspections 1 and 2.

They cruise the twisties with other M owners, and very occasionally over the course of ownership track test their vehicles. 

7/8/09 3:19 PM
White347LX
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

eviladam - 

not accordion to car and driver. new wrx is faster 0-60 and through the 1/4 mile:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/quickest_cars_0_60_mph/the_quickest_cars_of_2009_25_000_to_30_000_feature

That time is about .3 faster than any others I've seen for a WRX. Sounds more like a STI, to me. That's just a really fast time and I doubt it will turn out to be the norm. Still, it definitely deserves to be considered and I'd never talk shit about a WRX!
7/8/09 3:20 PM
White347LX
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

slo ko - 
Mas Tisu - And forget the info on a lot of the car forums, just go to your local drag-strip on test and tune night yourself, you'll see which cars are running what mods, and how fast they are. Now, if you want a canyon-carver, that's a little different.
...and pay attention to who is running trailer babies or having to jump start their car between runs or spray down their intercooler with a CO2 extinguisher between runs.

For $30k I will find you a gently used M3 in immaculate condition that did not live its life at redline and will get you to 60 mph in 4 seconds. I know the guys in these car clubs. They back their cars out onto their driveways and wipe them down with cloth diapers whether or not they drove them since their last wipe down. They have all their proof of maintenance, including Inspections 1 and 2.

They cruise the twisties with other M owners, and very occasionally over the course of ownership track test their vehicles. 

Man, M3s around here are driven by rich kids who BEAT THE FUCK OUT OF THEM on a regular basis. There's a crashed M3 at the BMW dealer's body shop every other month. lol
7/8/09 3:26 PM
caleb
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stop being a redneck and worrying about how fast your car can go. Buy a prius.
7/8/09 3:30 PM
slo ko

White347LX - 
slo ko - 

Man, M3s around here are driven by rich kids who BEAT THE FUCK OUT OF THEM on a regular basis. There's a crashed M3 at the BMW dealer's body shop every other month. lol
Are you in St. Louis also? I think I remember you talking about the races down on Lindbergh back in the day. I could be wrong.

Let me tell you something, the M scene up here is absolutely nothing like down in Austin. I agree with everything you are saying. But there's a different type of M owner down there. At least in the club I frequent. 

My buddy who lets me drive his when I'm down there asked me about 2 hours ago if I could make it for a Saturday meet-up and I looked at airfare. That's how serious the scene is. They LOVE their cars. I mean...love them.

7/8/09 3:35 PM
White347LX

LINDBERGH!!!!!

I remember racing there back in 98-02. I used to stay at my sister's place in Arnold when the World Ford Challenge was at Gateway so the streetracing would be insane for the weekend. Everybody would meet up in the Home Depot parking lot behind Hooters with anything from brand new turbo Z06s and Vipers to beat up POS Mustangs but every car there ran 11s or faster.

Ahhh, the good old days....
7/8/09 3:54 PM
Mas Tisu
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

slo ko, I love the M3 (I would buy one for my wife...jk), but the part of my post regarding the field trip to the local drag-strip has more to do with reality-checking all these claims that you see on the car forums about the subject cars running this time or that time. On a typical test and tune night, you can go and see what relatively stock cars, driven by non-expert drivers, do in the quarter-mile (of course, mixed in will be the pro-street, outlaw, or highly modified street car, but you should be able to tell the difference).
7/8/09 4:34 PM
slo ko

White347LX - LINDBERGH!!!!!

I remember racing there back in 98-02. I used to stay at my sister's place in Arnold when the World Ford Challenge was at Gateway so the streetracing would be insane for the weekend. Everybody would meet up in the Home Depot parking lot behind Hooters with anything from brand new turbo Z06s and Vipers to beat up POS Mustangs but every car there ran 11s or faster.

Ahhh, the good old days....
They are still running 'em occasionally. I witnessed a beautiful classic matchup between a Z06 and a Mustang. I don't have your knowledge of Mustangs, so i can only comment that it was the shit body style from before they came back to the current retro style.

The Mustang driver looked to be in his late teens, early 20's and I figured he had put every dime into that car. The Vette was a shirt and collar douche that probably didn't even know where his hood release was. The Mustang brought the rpms up and the Vette just waited for the light to go green. 

Poor kid in the Mustang lost his ass. I felt bad for him.

7/8/09 4:35 PM
slo ko

Mas Tisu - slo ko, I love the M3 (I would buy one for my wife...jk), but the part of my post regarding the field trip to the local drag-strip has more to do with reality-checking all these claims that you see on the car forums about the subject cars running this time or that time. On a typical test and tune night, you can go and see what relatively stock cars, driven by non-expert drivers, do in the quarter-mile (of course, mixed in will be the pro-street, outlaw, or highly modified street car, but you should be able to tell the difference).
solid points

7/8/09 4:42 PM
maurader03
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

03-04 cobra's aka "terminators" are the best street car ever built. all you need is a pulley swap,tune and,the car goes 11.60's all day. add 100shot and it'll run 10.90's. terminators are no joke!!!
7/8/09 5:47 PM
arclight

" if you hook a Evo up it will beat lambo's, Ferraris, vipers, etc"

Yeah but you're still driving a shit tin can econobox Lancer, AND even if you come close to beating any naturally better car in a straight line after spending a bucket on mods and work, it still gets handled badly by pretty much all of them in the curves. Spend the same cash for a car that's naturally faster AND NICER all around right out of the box stock instead of for one you need to mod and even then it's a dressed up economy car.

But if you're gonna go that way, the Mazdaspeed 3 at least has a better interior and ergos than the Evo. And more fun in the twisties. It may not be as fast but the Mazda is way more liveable as an investment versus a no-apologies fanboy ricer like the Evo.
7/8/09 5:59 PM
macdawg

mythds
7/8/09 6:01 PM
MisoWhoreKnee
196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HuntingtonPUNK - Cams take 20min to install, installation from a formula 1 race care mechanic was $125 and took 30 minutes.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense.  An F1 mechanic working on POS Mitsu's in Southern California.  So does he leave the team temporarly and fly to the US to work on your piece of shit or do you transport your car overseas to have him work on it.  Your just at delusional as all the other Evo owners.
7/8/09 6:11 PM
slo ko

arclight - " if you hook a Evo up it will beat lambo's, Ferraris, vipers, etc"

If you hook up a Smart with a Hayabusa engine it will beat a Lambo in a straight line. Question is, which car takes the girl home?

7/8/09 6:27 PM
Cire
504 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a few suggested, I drive a 2006 Infiniti G35, which is around your price range(and is a panty-dropper!!!) It will run 13-14s in the 1/4. It may not be blazing fast, but it is a simply beautiful sports coupe with a nice bit of luxury. The G35 also has a backseat(that is not great, but not terrible either) which many sports cars don't have.

Speed is nice, but looks are more important, unless you are just driving the car to show off to other guys.

7/8/09 6:33 PM
MrSmiff
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Titus Pullo -  lol @ a rice burner being a panty dropper.

Lexus ISF???
7/8/09 6:49 PM
HuntingtonPUNK

Misowhoreknee, idiot, I'm not bragging about having fkn cams installed, I could have done it myself and did the second time around. It took less time then installing an exhaust, its brainless.

and lol at people getting any of these cars because one has better interior or dash, none of them are plush.

acrlight, the point is your dont have to spend much to pace with these exotic cars, a few grand and youre money. Theirs nothing to bag on really, these Jap rice boxes have nice motors and take well to bolt on mods

330+whp in a 4cyl with a few thousand dollars in mods is impressive

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.