7/8/09 6:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
White347LX
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love these threads. LOL!
7/8/09 7:01 PM
The Kangaroo
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
7/8/09 7:04 PM
arclight

"and lol at people getting any of these cars because one has better interior or dash, none of them are plush."

No, since they are all still sub-$30K cars which value tradeoff for speed usually means you are buying an upgraded econobox. However out of all of those: 1. The Mazda 3 based interior is more liveable. 2. Unless it's your second car, this is your daily driver. Living with the beast amplifies minor differences into big ones over the long term. So yeah, the little things count unless it's just something you're looking to drag on the streets of Irvine against 17-25 year olds yet and not drive day in and day out. Then again, if you don't know the difference, or speed for buck is the only criteria in your purchase decision, all this is moot.

"acrlight, the point is your dont have to spend much to pace with these exotic cars, a few grand and youre money. Theirs nothing to bag on really, these Jap rice boxes have nice motors and take well to bolt on mods"

Which is all well and fine except:

1. You can spend to get a used car that is a much nicer base car to begin with.

2. Some of these cars used are already as fast as the unmodded EVO/WRX/Speed3. And handle better out of the box. And have a nicer interior. And score better points with the opposite sex...versus scoring better points with male import racers age 18-25.

3. with modding are faster again compared to a modded hot econobox

There is no doubt you get impressive straight line speed per dollar for these cars. The question is how much can you get in addition to just a similar amount of speed, for that 30K? There's a lot of options that dont involve you having to squeeze yourself and your friends into a noisy compact car with a badass engine.

7/8/09 7:07 PM
White347LX

"There's a lot of options that dont involve you having to squeeze yourself and your friends into a noisy compact car with a badass engine."

To be fair, I enjoyed my Mustang as a young hellion because having a loud fast car meant I didn't have to drive when we wanted to go somewhere. Everybody knew we would be copbait in that car.
7/8/09 7:11 PM
iclimb513
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can get a slightly used 2007 335i for around 30 grand now. Add vishnu tuning (optional) and you got a winner in all categories. This is going to be my next car (replacing an outgoing 3 series).
7/8/09 8:10 PM
justAgrappler
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't finished reading all the posts, but it's obvious that I need to be a little more specific. I want speed, but I also want maneuverability...taking turns fast, weaving in and out of traffic, etc. Driving fast in a straight line just doesn't do it for me.

I live in Atl and drive daily. Half on the interstates; half on narrow city streets.

Also, I should clarify my Accord comment. I was recently told that I would be "really impressed" by the new V6. I am fully aware an Accord doesn't fall in the fastest under 30 category...I was just wondering if anyone else had heard the same.

I appreciate everyone's advice. This has definitely opened my eyes to some cars I would have never considered.
7/8/09 8:12 PM
Mica Kizbig
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Blue please:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/fox%20body%20mustang/Krwy/DSC01284.jpg
7/8/09 8:14 PM
SILK
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

arclight - " if you hook a Evo up it will beat lambo's, Ferraris, vipers, etc"

Yeah but you're still driving a shit tin can econobox Lancer, AND even if you come close to beating any naturally better car in a straight line after spending a bucket on mods and work, it still gets handled badly by pretty much all of them in the curves.

LOL. Top Gear already showed that the Lambo has nothing on the Evo in the corners. And that was the Evo 8. The Evo 10 is even more of a beast, on corners and straights.

Somebody please watch and embed the vid link I posted of the latest Evo vs Sti
7/8/09 8:16 PM
1911fanatic

Road Warrior Fin -  used GTO

Low mile 2006s can be had for 19 and change at auction prices. M112 Blower, long tubes, exhaust, reprogram, and you are good to go. Gotta get larger rubber, and suspension goodies, but you'd have cash to play with.
7/8/09 8:18 PM
Mica Kizbig
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have a look at this. The cars are both in Vancouver but your USD would go further and either would be fun to drive home. The Blue one is heavily modified and the black one is a complete cherry, 2?K KMS and a complete restoration with 4 wheel disc's.

http://www.vancouvermustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65325
7/8/09 8:37 PM
Gforce
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

justAgrappler - I heard the new Accords were fast...I guess I was told incorrectly. I want as much speed as I can get for my price range.

You better believe that the new V6 accord is fast (as least in a straight line).

I test drove one a few months ago--I could have sworn that it was faster than the Hemi Charger patrol cars we have.

Turns out I was right:

2009 Accord 0-60 5.9 secs
2009 Hemi Charger 0-60 6.0 secs
7/8/09 9:06 PM
stevekt
616 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/quickest_cars_0_60_mph/the_quickest_cars_of_2009_25_000_to_30_000_feature 
7/8/09 9:30 PM
White347LX

A good friend is selling his 350Z for $9K. It's in Davenport, IA.
7/8/09 9:51 PM
slo ko
1026 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

iclimb513 - You can get a slightly used 2007 335i for around 30 grand now. Add vishnu tuning (optional) and you got a winner in all categories. This is going to be my next car (replacing an outgoing 3 series).

totally fucking pointless. get an M3 and quit being a try hard. go back and read my post(s)
7/8/09 9:54 PM
MrSmiff
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Free Ballin - 
MrSmiff - 
Free Ballin - 
MrSmiff - Mustang GT is the quickest for under 30K - the Pontiac G8 GT is the quickest sedan under 30K

wat? G8 GT is definitely faster than the Mustang GT.

To TS: If it has to be a new car - G8 GT is the fastest under $30k, however within the next year you might be able to get a new Camaro SS under 30k and that will take the top spot.

If used - there are tons of cars that are faster and look better than both of them.

No....The G8 GT does 0-60 in 5.3 seconds (13.8 seconds @ 102.8mph for 1/4mile) while the 700+lb lighter Mustang does it in 4.9 seconds (13.5 seconds @ 104.2 mph for 1/4mile). I answered the question based on it being a 2009-10 model. If he's going to buy used but still wants fast, he's going to be hard pressed to find anything quicker than a Vette for the money. I also wouldn't want to buy anything that was "hoped up" with aftermarket parts......alot can go wrong buying a car that has far more horsepower than was originally intended without upgrading everything else to accomodate the increase in hp.

I used Motor Trend for the source for the Mustang GT and the G8 GT

Smiff

You are correct, I had G8 GXP on my mind when I wrote the post, but I still recommend the G8 GT over the Stang. Nicer car.....

I agree with you there. I've driven both and I definately like the G8 GT more in the looks dept and if it had a 6spd, I'd like it even more. The new mustang's exhaust note is a beauty! The G8 needs a little more rpm to come alive but then it's more of a subtle car too imo.....+ I'd take a nice quick sedan over a two door personally. I like the convenience of not having to lift your seat forward to let someone in the back
7/8/09 10:19 PM
iclimb513
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/08/09 10:21 PM
slo ko -
iclimb513 - You can get a slightly used 2007 335i for around 30 grand now. Add vishnu tuning (optional) and you got a winner in all categories. This is going to be my next car (replacing an outgoing 3 series).

totally fucking pointless. get an M3 and quit being a try hard. go back and read my post(s)

The 335i is superior to an old E46 M3 in just about every way.

Stop being a douchnozzle for 10 seconds.

The only try hard here, is you. Try hard *and* fail *and* obnoxious as fuck all at the same time. That's hard to do, yet you pull it off.
7/8/09 10:33 PM
Frantic

Edited: 07/08/09 10:36 PM
arclight - " if you hook a Evo up it will beat lambo's, Ferraris, vipers, etc"

Yeah but you're still driving a shit tin can econobox Lancer, AND even if you come close to beating any naturally better car in a straight line after spending a bucket on mods and work, it still gets handled badly by pretty much all of them in the curves. Spend the same cash for a car that's naturally faster AND NICER all around right out of the box stock instead of for one you need to mod and even then it's a dressed up economy car.

But if you're gonna go that way, the Mazdaspeed 3 at least has a better interior and ergos than the Evo. And more fun in the twisties. It may not be as fast but the Mazda is way more liveable as an investment versus a no-apologies fanboy ricer like the Evo.

You obviously didn't watch the video, the Evo is a fucking rally car it's better than almost any other car on the turns and corners. The Evo in the video that was fucking the lambo up was not modded out. Im not into the controversies of ricer vs American muscle, I dont give a shit about that or what people think. Im going to get the car I like and want fuck what other people think. The acceleration on an Evo is pretty much 2nd to none. Ive seen street racing tournaments where Evos have smoked every single car entered. Including corvettes, mustanges, hondas, fords, nissans, BMW's etc. That was just on the 1/4 mile. On courses with turns and shit it's not even close.

Also in the video he talks about using only premium gas.

GUESS WHAT all turbo charged cars are suggested to use higher octane fuel.

Too Much Boost?

With air being pumped into the cylinders under pressure by the turbocharger, and then being further compressed by the piston (see How Car Engines Work for a demonstration), there is more danger of knock. Knocking happens because as you compress air, the temperature of the air increases. The temperature may increase enough to ignite the fuel before the spark plug fires. Cars with turbochargers often need to run on higher octane fuel to avoid knock. If the boost pressure is really high, the compression ratio of the engine may have to be reduced to avoid knocking.
7/8/09 10:42 PM
Frantic

Gforce - 
justAgrappler - I heard the new Accords were fast...I guess I was told incorrectly. I want as much speed as I can get for my price range.

You better believe that the new V6 accord is fast (as least in a straight line).

I test drove one a few months ago--I could have sworn that it was faster than the Hemi Charger patrol cars we have.

Turns out I was right:

2009 Accord 0-60 5.9 secs
2009 Hemi Charger 0-60 6.0 secs

4. Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart < Non Evo

Base Price: $27,185
0-to-60-mph time: 5.4 sec
Quarter-mile time: 14.2 sec @ 95 mph

Quickest Cars of 2009 between 25k and 30k

crappy 2009 non Evo came in 4th. Evo used to be on the list but as they explain at the top it's price has went above 30k.
7/8/09 11:20 PM
scab1
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frantic - You obviously didn't watch the video, the Evo is a fucking rally car it's better than almost any other car on the turns and corners. The Evo in the video that was fucking the lambo up was not modded out.

lol @ "not modded out"

You don't have to mod that Evo when it's already been done for you and costs $80k.
7/8/09 11:48 PM
White347LX

Frantic - Ive seen street racing tournaments where Evos have smoked every single car entered. Including corvettes, mustanges, hondas, fords, nissans, BMW's etc. That was just on the 1/4 mile.

Where was this? Sounds like your area is ripe for the picking by some real cars.
7/8/09 11:50 PM
Frantic

White347LX - 
Frantic - Ive seen street racing tournaments where Evos have smoked every single car entered. Including corvettes, mustanges, hondas, fords, nissans, BMW's etc. That was just on the 1/4 mile.

Where was this? Sounds like your area is ripe for the picking by some real cars.

This was a video on street racing in Europe I forget exactly which country but I found it a couple months ago. It was Netherlands or Finland or something.
7/8/09 11:51 PM
Frantic

scab1 - 
Frantic - You obviously didn't watch the video, the Evo is a fucking rally car it's better than almost any other car on the turns and corners. The Evo in the video that was fucking the lambo up was not modded out.

lol @ "not modded out"

You don't have to mod that Evo when it's already been done for you and costs $80k.

I don't know what your talking about? Stock Evo brand new from the dealership are around 30k-35k, they keep up with lambos just fine.
7/8/09 11:53 PM
tetris
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

White347LX - 

Or some real drivers. Also, what year is the 350z and how many miles?
7/9/09 12:00 AM
White347LX

Frantic - This was a video on street racing in Europe I forget exactly which country but I found it a couple months ago. It was Netherlands or Finland or something.

So you're basing your opinion of cars on videos of Europeans street racing?

Yeah, that may distort things a bit.
7/9/09 12:07 AM
Frantic

White347LX - 
Frantic - This was a video on street racing in Europe I forget exactly which country but I found it a couple months ago. It was Netherlands or Finland or something.

So you're basing your opinion of cars on videos of Europeans street racing?

Yeah, that may distort things a bit.

No, I'm basing it on review shows like Top Gear, Reviews from people and online sites, videos of performance, and considering it is a Rally car it's made to race. It's pretty cool to have a race car that's street legal.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.