UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Fastest car under $30K?

7/9/09 4:26 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
slo ko
1141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

iclimb513 - 
slo ko -
iclimb513 - You can get a slightly used 2007 335i for around 30 grand now. Add vishnu tuning (optional) and you got a winner in all categories. This is going to be my next car (replacing an outgoing 3 series).

totally fucking pointless. get an M3 and quit being a try hard. go back and read my post(s)

The 335i is superior to an old E46 M3 in just about every way.

Stop being a douchnozzle for 10 seconds.

The only try hard here, is you. Try hard *and* fail *and* obnoxious as fuck all at the same time. That's hard to do, yet you pull it off.
let me clarify. this isn't an attack on you. unless you're a 335i owner, then it's an attack on you. 

define "old" and I might agree with you. but i won't agree that a 2006 E46 M3 falls behind your '07 335i based solely on emperical evidence.

and by the way, my dislike of people trotting out the 335i stems from the d-bags who badge them as M3s and swap fenders and a few other cosmetic things to make them look like M3s.

7/9/09 4:31 AM
arclight
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"the Evo is a fucking rally car it's better than almost any other car on the turns and corners."

Really? Please state why. Last I checked consumer Evo's not Mitsu WRC cars crack only about .95-97 lateral G. Whereas Corvettes for example can reach as high as 1.07 G for the Z06 and .99 G stock.

Also I dont get the logic. The Evo was never designed as a performance car to begin with. It is USED in rally racing in very highly factory team cost-is-no-object modified form, but it is first and foremost just a hopped up shit Lancer economy car. The basic platform was always intended as just an econobox...so while people have done remarkable things with the platform, it still has its limitations.

Push those limitations, and you go down in durability, reliability, and streetability. Hence why fast Evos also chew parts fast. A sub-30K Evo can turn into a much more expensive beast long term.

You want to compare the Evo against anything like Lambos and ferraris so used Vettes for the money are again a nice yardstick considering we're trying to stay on budget. Unless I'm mistaken stock vettes also match or beat the stock Evo MR and the GSR in 0-60.

Let's also note what C&D said as a low of the Evos which seems to be common: "(needs) an interior worthy of the price."

Again, you are driving a hot-engined shitbox economy car that still has a cheap interior and not much room inside. With a retardedly large wing might I add. Unless your objective is to pick up other guys into import racing, you can do similar speed in a lot nicer ride if you want to buy used.
7/9/09 4:44 AM
ajl416az

Edited: 07/09/09 4:43 AM
can't you get a used M3 for that price. that'll blow your socks off.
7/9/09 4:50 AM
SILK
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would you guys stop posting about the Evo VIII, and post the latest Evo X, which beats the VIII in every possible way, as well as spanks the pants off an Sti. If Jeremy says it's the best car for cornering and whatnot, then by God it is the best car for cornering and whatnot. Especially if you have winters in your area.
Now go and watch the Evo X vid I posted the link to. It's off the Top Gear website.
And LOL at arguing about cars using straight lines as a measure for anything.
Less Nascar, more rally and F-1 is what America needs.
7/9/09 8:43 AM
Mas Tisu
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SILK -  Would you guys stop posting about the Evo VIII, and post the latest Evo X, which beats the VIII in every possible way, as well as spanks the pants off an Sti. If Jeremy says it's the best car for cornering and whatnot, then by God it is the best car for cornering and whatnot. Especially if you have winters in your area.
Now go and watch the Evo X vid I posted the link to. It's off the Top Gear website.
And LOL at arguing about cars using straight lines as a measure for anything.
Less Nascar, more rally and F-1 is what America needs.

Silk, I like the twisties as much as anyone else, but here in America, the first measuring stick for performance will always be the 1/4 mile (stoplight to stoplight). It is just how things evolved here. Even import cars not designed for pure straight-line performance were forced into being modified for this application because that is just the way most people here view the epitomy of performance: "how fast can it do the 1/4 mile?" Not saying it is right or wrong, just that it is what it is, and I don't think it will ever change.
7/9/09 8:54 AM
SILK
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fair dues Mas Tisu. I hear what you're saying. Though as a non-American, it starts off as amusing and then devolves into annoying reading mods and how fast a car can do the 1/4 on almost every car thread. Are Americans really that mod crazy as this place suggests? I understand this forum is mostly American. Though it would be nice for many people to look outisde a bit :-)
7/9/09 9:07 AM
Mas Tisu
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^ I know what you mean about "looking outside a bit"...personally, I like all kinds of cars, and motorsport (even drifting, lol).
7/9/09 9:38 AM
White347LX
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SILK -  Fair dues Mas Tisu. I hear what you're saying. Though as a non-American, it starts off as amusing and then devolves into annoying reading mods and how fast a car can do the 1/4 on almost every car thread. Are Americans really that mod crazy as this place suggests? I understand this forum is mostly American. Though it would be nice for many people to look outisde a bit :-)

Well, I just say that I've never once had somebody pull up next to me at a stoplight and say, "Hey, wanna race around the corner?"
7/9/09 9:45 AM
SILK

Edited: 07/09/09 9:46 AM
 Well, I've been in 4 car chases when I lived back in South Africa (I was the one being chased), and it was with the corners that I managed to escape.
Besides, do people challenge you to racing between traffic lights that often that straight line speed is one of the first thoughts you think of when buying a car? (General you, not you specifically)

7/9/09 9:52 AM
White347LX
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's nothing I consider when buying my daily transportation. It's about 90% of what I consider when ordering parts for my play car from Summit Racing. lol!
7/9/09 9:53 AM
White347LX

And what's up with car chases? If people chased me that much I'd fuckin move!
7/9/09 9:58 AM
SILK

I DID finally move! I live in Japan now, and don't have a car :-(
Mind you, I guess being an antagonizing prick like me will get you into situations where you get chased...
7/9/09 10:02 AM
White347LX

South Africa to Japan? Man, you get around!
7/9/09 10:13 AM
CornFed

Edited: 07/09/09 10:14 AM
Ok im late here i know heres my formula for fast on the cheap, well under 30K.
-Fox body mustang, sub frame connectors and a *cage {*if you plan to race}
-9" Ford with good posi unit, moser axles, and correct gearing-Tremec TKO600 5 speed-AJE front K member kit for LS GM motor.
-427" 505hp LS motor from junkyard. I believe this is the LS6 out of the C6 vettes but i might be wrong. With several bolt ons and a cam swap this motor will go well over 600 hp.
-Adapter harness so you can keep the fuel injection-Fuel system setup for fuel injection
-Adapter headers from Kook
-Lost of odds and ends i wont get into because youre going to tell me im a hick and to shut up....

Toss some 17" wheels, a few suspension mods and 4 wheel discs on there and you would have an easy 10 second daily driver that would kick the piss out of anything mentioned on here so far and youde have money left over to burn........
7/9/09 10:18 AM
slo ko
1141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm guilty of only caring about straight line speed until about a year ago. That's when I got a ride through the Hill Country outside of Austin Texas in this car. I pissed myself in the turns, and the driver (a chick no less) was going easy because there were bicycle teams out on the road that day.

7/10/09 1:15 AM
Pig Bun
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

White347LX - And what's up with car chases? If people chased me that much I'd fuckin move!

I believe, for those of us in the U.S. at least, that segues into the "gun" threads.

I'm well under $30k on my Falcon station wagon project. Waiting on Brian Baskin to get my DC Controls combo fan/waterpump controller to me, to replace the toasted SPAL's, then (hopefully) FINALLY to the track!

I know it will just be straight-line fast. But, after a year or so, I may pull that motor out and swap it into my Factory Five Cobra replica 8-)

Falcon: http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee127/vcxzrewq/Falcon/Drivingforthefirsttime11.jpg

Cobra: http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee127/vcxzrewq/246489760_KBPoN-X3.jpg
7/10/09 2:07 AM
Frantic

7 second Evo, lol doesnt even look like an Evo at this point.

7/10/09 12:48 PM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pig Bun - 
White347LX - And what's up with car chases? If people chased me that much I'd fuckin move!

I believe, for those of us in the U.S. at least, that segues into the "gun" threads.

LOL....true.

On tv, many car chases I see seque into foot races that eventually segue into wrestling matches.

Good to see the falcon wagon project coming along.

I sometimes see a falcon in the u-pull yards so let me know if there is a missing trim piece you are looking for.....might get lucky.
7/10/09 2:55 PM
Irreversible

Yojimbo
Civic had NOS, big fucking deal, it's still a Civic.

7/10/09 3:10 PM
Irreversible

Yojimbo
 Also, the new Ralliart is quick but it feels like driving a go-kart and it has no top end balls. WRX is still better (in that category).
7/10/09 4:10 PM
EvilMaster

CauliEars - Subaru WRX turbo with all wheel drive

+1

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.