UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> what's wrong with this wiring?

7/7/09 7:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Shootozen
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ok, I built a junction box for my pedalboard so all ins/outs are in one place- my Laney GH100L has a extra gain stage that can be engaged manually (switch on amp with LED indicator) or by remote footswitch- I wanted to include a connection to the footswitch as well in this juction box...so essentially, it's juction for all ins/outs + footswitch-

well, since the amp has an LED indicator to tell when the gain stage is engaged, I wanted to put one in the junction box as well- seems simple enough-

I used this wiring:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/shootozen/3PDT.jpg

but it makes my amp freak out...the problem I'm having is that it'll work like it's supposed to for about a minute, then it has a kind of delay where I'll het the switch and the gain "channel" doesn't respond for a few second, then the amp doesn't resond to the switch at all- so I unplug it- don't want to burn up the amp or something (it seems to be fine though)

I guess I to separate the LED circuit completely from the amp switching function. The amp is providing its own power. I'm only going to use the 9V to power the LED. I guess I need to break the jumped connection at the switch so the battery voltage doesn't get to the amp. The only thing going to the amp will be the on/off function from the switch. The LED is an entirely separate circuit which will include the battery. It operates simultaneously with, but separately from the amp switching function. For some reason, I just can't get my head around it- is this closer to what I need to do?

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/shootozen/switch.jpg

thanks for any help!
7/7/09 7:06 PM
Shootozen
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ps- I know the switch is on its side in the first pic :)...told you my brain isn't working-
7/9/09 5:55 AM
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's the schematic:

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schematics/audio/laneygh100l.pdf

It should have immediately struck you as dangerous to feed external voltage into anything that wasn't expecting it. The switch going to the amp needs to be completely isolated.

Beyond that I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. You should only need a dual pole single toggle for this job. One pole to break the gain circuit & one to break the diode circuit on your choice of battery leads.
7/9/09 1:43 PM
Shootozen

yeah, I have schematics- unplugged it right away and the amp seems fine...so...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.