UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Good snapshot of kenpo lineage!

12/18/12 3:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ogami Itto
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sweet
1/4/13 3:51 PM
Dougie
901 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/4/13 8:36 PM
PoundforPound
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kenpo looks spectacular on screen. They should make more movies with it.
3/12/13 10:05 AM
JBryan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have been interested in Kempo for many years. One of my friends was a BB in EPAK. He was also an assistant Kru in my Muay Thai Camp. I went to school with his Teacher, who was a direct Student of Ed Parker. I met Mr. Parker at a Tournament in Miami years ago. He was a very big Man (I'm 5' 7") Also, some of my Hawaiian friends tell me of "old" Kempo/Kaju and they describe it as being very rough and much suited to the street with little hype or theory. I would like to hear more from MobutuHari. Seems there is a big difference between what is being done in Hawaii and on the mainland. Very interesting. By the way my background is boxing/Muay Thai............Karate/Kali/Wing Chun. No training in Kempo or Kaju.
3/12/13 11:32 PM
Wolfs Law
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great thread, i'm not sure how i missed this all this time.

love the stories Dougie...

I am currently training to get my 3rd Class Brown in Chinese Kenpo mixed in with some EPAK, Moreira BJJ, and Lung Chi Kwan.

I have tried other styles and always gravitated back to Kenpo and I feel its a legit system, but like any other style or school, you need to find a good teacher/school

TMA is full of schills, mcdojos or moneygrabs.

interestingly enough, growing up i always looked down on Karate because of the 'belt factory' stereotype, this is certainly not true at my school.

Its easy to get wrapped up in the techniques, but i think as long as you keep the concepts in mind, you can always personalize/tweak the techniques to fit your skillset or body type.

the BBs at my school are legit badasses.

Kenpo is a self defense and not a fighting art, there is a difference. It is harder to make a sword hand or ridge hand work with gloves, not to mention groin strikes or eye gouges also are not allowed in sanctioned MMA and Point fighting is an entirely different animal. 

Having said that i have felt what it's like to have some of those techniques thrown at me at even 50-70% by our BBs and it can be humbling feeling so powerless against the speed and power at which they can be thrown after dedicated training.

thanks for the stories and  input, i love the dialogue, keep it coming.

3/13/13 12:30 PM
Ogami Itto
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

did I share this with you guys, kempo training from 1961?

http://youtu.be/k7CfJkj2_8w

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.