UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Anyone order UFC HD PPV before?

7/11/09 3:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
eljamaiquino
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't ordered one since Arlovski/Sylvia 3, but my wife's love affair with GSP and the great card will make me try tonight. How is the PPV quality? I just recently got HD service (Dish Network), and some of the Hd channels aren't really that hot. So I'm wondering if the HD PPv is really Hd quality, or should I just get the SD one.
7/11/09 3:28 PM
ShanTheMan
806 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

save the 10 bucks and just get it regular
7/11/09 3:29 PM
KyMart23
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got UFC 98 in HD and it looked solid, if you have seen like Baseball or Football in HD that's kind of quality you get with it.
7/11/09 3:32 PM
ClearwaterFLMMA
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love the HD quality a TON more than the regular. I am dish network customer as well and i love the HD, so im not sure why you are having some quality problems. But the like the above poster said, if you've seen sports events on your new HD, it will look just like that.
7/11/09 3:36 PM
Skillrules
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have DirecTV  and its worth it IMHO. There are times its so clear, its almost like you are standing in the cage. Yes, its real HD, not upsampled. Not sure if its 1080i or 720p, but its so sharp my guess is 1080i.
7/11/09 3:37 PM
FTW15th
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skillrules -  I have DirecTV  and its worth it IMHO. There are times its so clear, its almost like you are standing in the cage. Yes, its real HD, not upsampled. Not sure if its 1080i or 720p, but its so sharp my guess is 1080i.
This
7/11/09 3:37 PM
eljamaiquino

It's like, HDnet fights look great. Spike UFN in HD are ok, but not great. HGTV, most of the stuff looks meh, like it was just blown up from Sd. So basically I am asking if the UFC films their stuff in HD, and doesn't just film it in SD and try to upconvert the stream.
7/11/09 3:38 PM
Rappy Gilmore
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm gonna give it a try tonight...
7/11/09 3:39 PM
eljamaiquino

Ok, Skillrules answered my question before I asked it. Since I rarely (NEVER) order them, I'll try the HD version tonight. Zuffa can have my 50 bones tonight.....
7/11/09 3:42 PM
Skillrules
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The one thing I will warn about, once you order in HD, its real hard to go back to ordering SD...almost impossible. 
7/11/09 3:55 PM
eljamaiquino

I'm not a PPV person. I had the option of Setanta in HD before, so that was ideal. I understand what you're saying, cause anything in SD is pretty bad in comparison now, after only one month having this thing. SD should at least be 420p, or DVD quality IMO.
7/11/09 3:57 PM
Pokanghoya

HD is great if you have a large TV.
7/11/09 3:58 PM
RKing85
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not worth the extra $10 IMO, and this coming from someone who loves HD sporting events.
7/11/09 4:04 PM
bonersaurus
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

While I think it's a sham they charge an extra $10 for it, I'm a loser and pay for it because it looks significantly better on my tv.
7/11/09 4:09 PM
story97

The only people that will say it's not a HUGE difference are those with shitty TV's. there is absolutely no comparison. the HD quality is superb.

The providers stomp on it a little and all HD is compressed, none of it is 'true' hd. But the quality of the two versions, is night and day different.
7/11/09 4:16 PM
Lambtron

The HD looks nice in 1080i which i get thru RCN, but it depends on what tv and your cable box puts out. Its def. the better version of the two but is it worth 10 or even 5 is debatable.

As for the audio, its straight pcm not even true dolby digital. Just like their blu rays, nice picture but crappy audio.
7/11/09 4:17 PM
story97

I don't think that's the case with Dish (PCM) but I might be wrong.
7/11/09 4:18 PM
yabadaba
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's HD quality and well worth the extra 10 bucks IMO.
7/11/09 4:21 PM
Lambtron

It might depend on the provider, i run the hdmi to my receiver and it comes through as pcm, no dolby, tried checking the info for the event and it never list it only tags it as hd.

Anyone know if directv is doing 1080p and dolby surround yet?
7/11/09 4:47 PM
eljamaiquino

Dish is different than cable. Cable has crappy Hd because of the compression. Dish network has Dolby 5.1, and I'm sure DirectTv has it too. Cable has just stereo for the most part...
7/11/09 4:57 PM
Lambtron

Thanks, i wasn't sure. I can get 5.1 on the hd home box channles but never for a fight. Cable does suck though. Just more reason to switch to dish/directv. Just dont wanna give up HDNet, i know dish has it not sure if directv does.
7/11/09 5:00 PM
story97

Lambtron - It might depend on the provider, i run the hdmi to my receiver and it comes through as pcm, no dolby, tried checking the info for the event and it never list it only tags it as hd.

Anyone know if directv is doing 1080p and dolby surround yet?

Nobody broadcasts in 1080p. well there is a network on Dish (their network) that does, but that's it.

1080p is used for on demand stuff, not broadcast. not yet anyway.
7/11/09 5:03 PM
Maloverde
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PPV in HD all the way.
7/11/09 5:04 PM
3rdtimesacharm
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get directv, you have HDnet, and they have a ton of HD channels.
7/11/09 5:22 PM
Old noob
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3rdtimesacharm - Get directv, you have HDnet, and they have a ton of HD channels.

This. I have found the DirectTV SD feed of UFC ppv's to be SO INCREDIBLY SHITTY that I've decided to pay the extra. I say it's worth it simply because the SD quality is so bad.

Not to mention this is UFC 100. Fucking get it in HD.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.