UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Cerebral Palsy (CP)

7/11/09 5:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dragons_forever
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi all,

I have a 2 year old nephew that has a mild form of Cerebral Palsy (CP) in his legs. His legs are pretty much always tight and flexed. Right now, he is focusing on doing a lot squats to strengthen his legs, stretches to loosen his legs and hips. He spends lot of his time practicing basic movements such as moving forward, sidewards and turning 90 degrees.

I was wondering if anyone here has some advice, suggestion and experience to share in regards to CP, strengthening and loosening the legs and good exercises to develop overall gross boy movements.Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
7/12/09 4:05 PM
Bolo

At 2 years old, his brain is not developed to the point in which you are going to make any changes with therapeutic exercises.

Your best bet is to keep him active with normal play that children do- walking, running, biking, jungle gym, swimming, etc....
7/15/09 12:32 AM
dragons_forever

Thanks for the reply Bolo.

I also think keeping active and playing lots of different games is the way to go. His mother said that left to his own choice, then he would only develop certain movements and neglect others, as it is easier. So right now, he tends to turn to one particular side more than other. So at times, he would turn the long way around, as it's easier.

Thanks for the input
7/15/09 3:15 AM
Bolo

Edited: 07/15/09 3:35 AM
That's why you need to do a variety of different movement and games.

Walking is something that most children do not do enough of. By 2 years old, I had my boys walking 2 miles. By the time they were 3.5 years old, they could easily do 6+ miles as if it was nothing. The problem with children not walking enough is that the parents don't walk enough.

By the way, I saw in your other post that he has braces on his legs. That will make him worse and it will not correct the problem. Surgery on his spine will really screw him up in the future if he has that done.

The muscular imbalance that you see won't be corrected in a few months or even a few years. The problem is that parents get impatient and end up doing drastic things to the kids when they are really young and, in my opinion, will turn out to be harmful in the long run.
7/16/09 1:14 AM
dragons_forever

Hi Bolo,

He has braces on his legs to help shape his feet. It was used at the beginning to provide support for the walking, but I think it's now mainly for the shaping of his feet. He tends to curl his toes and walk on the inside of his feet. If you don’t think braces would help with this, then do you have any other suggestions?

He is made to walk every where; carrying him is pretty much not allowed. I would actually like to see him do more fun kid stuff than exercises I hate to do in the gym : @
I took him swimming the other week, and he loved it. He didn’t get to do much in there, but I think it’s a good that he did something fun.

So the problem we have here is that my nephew isn’t in complete control of his brain. His brain over send signals to muscle to move in a certain way. So for him, has to constantly fight his brain/muscle to move in the opposite way.

They are having surgery on his spine to shut down the volume of signals sent to his legs. The idea is to do it when they are younger, so they brain has a chance to relearn and fine tune everything, before reaching a certain age where their brain is more settled.

I definitely agree that we should never look for quick fix solution to the symptoms of problems, rather than tackle the cause. So that’s why for me the number one concern is the mindset of my nephew and sister.

Thanks for your feedback.
10/3/09 8:40 PM
ElPapaya

I dont know but I will pray for him and you for being so caring of a family member.

Good luck!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.