UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> RPG's Legit Threats to Modern Armor?

7/14/09 10:37 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
slo ko
466 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What does this mean? The bold part? Is their some sort of way for the guy who fired it to remotely detonate it when it gets close? Or does it just blow up when it reaches a certain range? I always wondering how something that seems so innacurate could knockout a flying target.

In Guerilla warfare, the RPG-7 is an effective tool against convoys, isolated checkpoints, and observation posts, where it is frequently used in volleys, coordination with other shooters. RPGs are also used in certain conditions against low, slow flying or hovering helicopters, where the weapon is fired from maximum range (920 meters) utilizing the self destruct mechanism as a makeshift proximity fuze. The weapon scored few successes in hitting helicopters Afghanistan and Iraq.
7/14/09 11:58 AM
Justafriend
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4.5 second fuze

the arming system is triggered by the propellant explosion that drives the grenade out of the launcher. In other designs, the grenade's acceleration or rotation during its flight arms the detonator.

As for the back-up timed delay, the same fuze mechanism that sets off the the rocket would set this off. The spark ignites a slow-burning material in the fuze. In about four seconds, the delay material burns all the way through. The end of the delay element is connected to the detonator. The burning material at the end of the delay ignites the material in the detonator, thereby exploding the warhead.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/rpg3.htm

At the maximum range of 920 meters, RPGs self explodes (4.5 seconds from firing) and that's how the weapon is sometime used as a form of "artillery", spraying shrapnel over military installations, or slow, low flying or hovering helicopters
http://www.defense-update.com/products/r/rpg.htm
7/14/09 2:18 PM
slo ko
466 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it's much more versatile than I thought.
7/14/09 3:53 PM
SirPrize
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RPG's threat to armor:

7/14/09 4:36 PM
super chin
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this thread isn't about final fantasy at all. boring.
7/14/09 7:31 PM
gregbrady
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

powerguy - 
gregbrady - 
powerguy - 
American Icon - Now you're kidding right? Do you have any idea what the kill rate is for infantry fired weapons vs. armor? It's very low. Very very low. According to Jane's at least. But hey you know more than professional international intelligence and military players right?

I don't internet warrior. I served in Afghanistan for 2 years and I have seen bucket bombs disable Tanks.

Janes is full of fucking pencil neck dweebs like you who never even seen a real fire fight.

If a force is well equipped with the proper equipment the tanks will go down .

LOL you are full of shit. You claim to have served in Afghansitan for 2 years but you're claiming the U.S. military would not do well in a stand-up fight against Hezbollah? LOL We're already fighting Hezbollah elements in Iraq and beating the everliving shit out of them They're using IEDS just like everyone else that doesn't want to get raped by our military in a firefight.

"We" are fighting? Nope.US soldiers are figting. You are at home in mommy's basement. Let's clear that up.

Secondly Hezzbollah are in Iraq? WOW!!! You have a fucking news scoop right there smarty pants.

When did we fight Hezzie? US fought the minor Shiite army of some loser Ayahtolla but for the most part fighting agaist Shiite army has been limited.

If 'you' guys are so willing for a scrap why are you bankrupting your country by paying these guys 'not' to fight? Why not just go on in and kicks some jih-adi asses?

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/is_the_us_government_paying_factions_in.html

You tool.

You know nothing about me kid.
The Apaches that were shot down over Baghdad in 2006, Hezbollah wasn't responsible for? You must be one of those guys that thinks he's smarter than the CIA because he read some blogs on the internet. It's a well known fact that we're fighting elements of Hezbollah in Iraq. They get their asses kicked just like all the other scum jihad fighters that try and fight the U.S. military. I'm not willing for a scrap but acting like some shitty little militia from the middle east can stand with the U.S. military in a fight is ridiculous.
7/14/09 8:03 PM
scab1
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

powerguy - I don't internet warrior. I served in Afghanistan for 2 years and I have seen bucket bombs disable Tanks.

Janes is full of fucking pencil neck dweebs like you who never even seen a real fire fight.

You should use the infinite combat knowledge you gained in those two years and put Jane's out of business.
7/15/09 5:50 PM
scab1
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sure thing, General. Which war college are you teaching at now?
7/15/09 6:04 PM
slo ko

/kick powerguy
/kick scab1
7/15/09 6:53 PM
gregbrady
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

powerguy - 
gregbrady - 
powerguy - 
gregbrady - 
powerguy - 
American Icon - Now you're kidding right? Do you have any idea what the kill rate is for infantry fired weapons vs. armor? It's very low. Very very low. According to Jane's at least. But hey you know more than professional international intelligence and military players right?

I don't internet warrior. I served in Afghanistan for 2 years and I have seen bucket bombs disable Tanks.

If a force is well equipped with the proper equipment the tanks will go down .

LOL you are full of shit. You claim to have served in Afghansitan for 2 years but you're claiming the U.S. military would not do well in a stand-up fight against Hezbollah? LOL We're already fighting Hezbollah elements in Iraq and beating the everliving shit out of them They're using IEDS just like everyone else that doesn't want to get raped by our military in a firefight.

"We" are fighting? Nope.US soldiers are figting. You are at home in mommy's basement. Let's clear that up.

Secondly Hezzbollah are in Iraq? WOW!!! You have a fucking news scoop right there smarty pants.

When did we fight Hezzie? US fought the minor Shiite army of some loser Ayahtolla but for the most part fighting agaist Shiite army has been limited.

If 'you' guys are so willing for a scrap why are you bankrupting your country by paying these guys 'not' to fight? Why not just go on in and kicks some jih-adi asses?

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/is_the_us_government_paying_factions_in.html

You tool.

You know nothing about me kid.
The Apaches that were shot down over Baghdad in 2006, Hezbollah wasn't responsible for? You must be one of those guys that thinks he's smarter than the CIA because he read some blogs on the internet. It's a well known fact that we're fighting elements of Hezbollah in Iraq. They get their asses kicked just like all the other scum jihad fighters that try and fight the U.S. military. I'm not willing for a scrap but acting like some shitty little militia from the middle east can stand with the U.S. military in a fight is ridiculous.

Ok WOW wonder.

Hezbollah means "army of God".It's a movement. Not an army. Maybe they do have a "hezzbollah" in Iraq. Maybe. It's notthe same Hezbollah as teh ones in Lebanon .

The Hezbollah in Lebanon is techincally called Nasrallah Hezbollah. The ones in Iran is called Ansar-e Hizbullah (Followers of the party of god). So wich Hezbollah is in Iraq (with proof noy Jewish propaganda)?

The only Hezzbollah in Iraq is The Hezbollah Movement in Iraq which is part of teh United Iraqi Party. They made is very clear they are not affiliated with Lebo Hezz or even the Hezbollah al-Iraq.

So tell us all Xbox wonder- Which Hezzbollah party affilaited ot teh Lebanese or Iranian Hezzbollah fought the USA in Iraq? And with proof please.

I'm sure Shiite Islamist groups don't communicate with each other and collaborate regardless of the country they're in. /sarcasm off. You don't understand the constantly changing complex relationships between these radical Islamist groups any better than I do so knock of the Wikipedia crap. The Hezbollah elements in Iraq change every month. How the fuck do I know which one it was. It doesn't matter. The fact remains that the U.S. has been fighting Shiite extremist groups in Iraq who are being trained and supplied by Iran for years now and aside from the occasional helicopter shootdown they're using shaped-charge IED's almost exclusively against U.S. forces. Don't make the mistake of thinking because Israel suffered more casualties than they were expecting in Lebanon against Hezbollah the U.S. military would have a hard time with these assholes.
7/16/09 5:28 PM
arclight
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/16/09 5:28 PM
"
The Royal Canadian DRagoons, Sq. A. "

What was your MOS and what years did you serve?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.