UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> EA responds to Dana White

7/14/09 10:17 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
UG News
1252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News

Peter Moore Responds To UFC Over MMA Game

Dana White, boss of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, has some rather unpleasant things to say about EA Sports and their attempts to mosey in on the mixed martial arts market. But what does EA Sport's Peter Moore have to say?

Aside from revealing that he's seen a playable build of EA's MMA title - which lacks the UFC license - Moore says:
"I know there has been some recent discussion about EA SPORTS bringing a challenger to this sport. I love mixed martial arts, and we've been working on a game concept since I came to (sic) two years ago. I have great respect for the organizations and individuals that have invested in the sport's growth over the past decade – so this is one that is near and dear to me and I'm excited to see such good progress to date. I trace my MMA video game roots back to my support of Crave's UFC title on the Dreamcast in 2000, and have been a fan ever since. Our title will bring both innovation and further authenticity to mixed martial arts, not to mention a strong global publishing network that will help spread the sport's popularity around the world."

Note he mentions "respect for the organizations and individuals that have invested in the sport's growth over the past decade", without once addressing White's and the UFC's allegations that EA are showing anything but respect.

read full article...

7/14/09 10:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
droplogic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmm lemme see here, let me in my infinite wisdom disect this dispute.

Dana White is known to put contracts in front of people who if they have any bargaining power or leverage promptly turn down, those who feel they have no choice sign the dotted line.  Dana storms EA offices and tells them (in his infinite stupidity) that he holds all the chips and in order for them to make a respectable MMA game they have to sign with the UFC, afterall, it is the worlds leading MMA organization and holds exclusive lifetime likeness rights to most-if not all-of it's fighters.  Dana presents a deal to EA that they immediately want to renegotiate and Dana White says no, he takes his legos and goes home. 

Enter THQ: Struggling Video game maker

THQ accepts the bullying knowing that if they do not sign the deal with Dana White they wouldn't have the legitimacy or resources to negotiate likeness with several independant fighters, the deal makes them a bit of money and in the end puts them back on the shelf with a largely recognizable brand name behind the title.
7/14/09 10:41 AM
notsobigmike
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

According to Dana White, EA told him that they wanted nothing to do with MMA and that they did not consider it a legitimate sport.

That's why Dana is so pissed that a year and a half later, they seem to have overcome their revulsion at the sport and are releasing an MMA video game in the wake of Undisputed's success.
7/14/09 10:43 AM
story97

wait, there's a strong possibility that dana's full of shit?

There's a new one!
7/14/09 11:09 AM
droplogic

notsobigmike - According to Dana White, EA told him that they wanted nothing to do with MMA and that they did not consider it a legitimate sport.

That's why Dana is so pissed that a year and a half later, they seem to have overcome their revulsion at the sport and are releasing an MMA video game in the wake of Undisputed's success.
Stopped reading after "According to Dana White".

7/14/09 11:13 AM
JohnMc

Agreed. Dana does tend to bs.
7/14/09 11:14 AM
ssummers

droplogic - Hmm lemme see here, let me in my infinite wisdom disect this dispute.

Dana White is known to put contracts in front of people who if they have any bargaining power or leverage promptly turn down, those who feel they have no choice sign the dotted line.  Dana storms EA offices and tells them (in his infinite stupidity) that he holds all the chips and in order for them to make a respectable MMA game they have to sign with the UFC, afterall, it is the worlds leading MMA organization and holds exclusive lifetime likeness rights to most-if not all-of it's fighters.  Dana presents a deal to EA that they immediately want to renegotiate and Dana White says no, he takes his legos and goes home. 

THQ accepts the bullying knowing that if they do not sign the deal with Dana White they wouldn't have the legitimacy or resources to negotiate likeness with several independant fighters, the deal makes them a bit of money and in the end puts them back on the shelf with a largely recognizable brand name behind the title.

Wrong. Lorenzo said that they wanted EA Sports so bad that they were willing to take a less favourable deal that would also be worth less. It wasn't about money or demands at all.
7/14/09 11:18 AM
Mad Xyientist
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ssummers - 
droplogic - Hmm lemme see here, let me in my infinite wisdom disect this dispute.

Wrong. Lorenzo said that they wanted EA Sports so bad that they were willing to take a less favourable deal that would also be worth less. It wasn't about money or demands at all.

Maybe that's because Lorenzo was trying to justify why they just threatened a large fighter base that aren't working for their company.

Totally agree with droplogic's scenario, it's pretty obvious what happened here.

Of course, there will still be legions of fans who will buy whatever Dana or Lorenzo say claiming that they're angels and everyone else is out to get them and the sport.
7/14/09 11:23 AM
JohnMc

THQ would have signed anything because they were on the brink of bankruptcy. They desperately needed a big seller to keep them going. The UFC license was a Godsend to them.
7/14/09 11:24 AM
nofatchicks

armchair businesspeople that post here need to realize something. Dana aligns himself with companies that will allow him to do it his way, ie the way that seems to work best for the UFC. This is why a deal got done with Spike, a network looking to build viewers after a format switch, and not HBO. I would say it has worked out well. Same goes for the THQ deal. Dana made favorable arrangements with THQ that EA had no interest in. In the end it's worked out well for all parties. Right now Dana has the golden touch with his partnerships.
7/14/09 11:29 AM
weakpoint

droplogic - Stopped reading after "According to Dana White".
Actually Lorenzo Fertitta said the same thing. Who give a fuck what a guy that joined EA 2 years ago has to say when this incident took place 3 years ago. He wasn't even in EA back then and of course he'll say anything to make EA look good.

Q. If a fighter signs with EA Sports, will they be banned from the UFC?

Fertitta: "There is no such thing as banned, but this is something that does get under my skin and Dana's skin because when we had the opportunity to go out and build a video game who do you think the first people we called was? EA Sports… We sat in the room with them and I would have cut a worse deal just to be with EA Sports. I wanted them so bad. They looked at them and they told us they didn't think MMA was a sport. This was three years ago. They said the UFC was irrelevant and that we were wasting their time. So we went down the street and did a deal with THQ and they thought MMA was a sport. So we stick with the guys who stick with us. Now the UFC video game has been a massive success with three million copies sold. And guess what EA wants to do? They want to do an MMA game now… If you are young fighter coming up, it just makes sense to stay under the umbrella of UFC companies, sponsors and marketing to ensure yourself a cut of the action for the rest of your life."

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/jul/11/ufc-co-owner-addresses-fans-expo/
7/14/09 11:31 AM
weakpoint

Wow, you like to ASSUME very much and you think you know it all, maybe just STFU because you're wrong.
7/14/09 11:31 AM
The Notorious OMG
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I enjoy the Undisputed game but I imagine EA will make the better game, or at least one that's as equally good but something different and new.

will be interesting to see what happens as far as securing fighters who aren't with the UFC and if Dana actually follows through with his threats to blackball.

Fedor, Arlovski, Nick Diaz, Eddie Alvarez, Aoki, Hansen, Robbie Lawler etc...there's some good fighters out there that would be awesome to see in the EA game.
7/14/09 11:35 AM
Mad Xyientist
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nofatchicks - armchair businesspeople that post here need to realize something. Dana aligns himself with companies that will allow him to do it his way, ie the way that seems to work best for the UFC. This is why a deal got done with Spike, a network looking to build viewers after a format switch, and not HBO. I would say it has worked out well. Same goes for the THQ deal. Dana made favorable arrangements with THQ that EA had no interest in. In the end it's worked out well for all parties. Right now Dana has the golden touch with his partnerships.

LOL.....yes, it worked so well he's now resorted to threatening non-UFC fighters for trying to make a little extra money and trying to smear EA with dubious "quotes"

Zuffa tries to strong arm guys to giving them whatever revenue split they demand, and if they decline Zuffa kicks and screams like a girl. Now they're threatening fighters who are trying to make a buck in an effort to hurt EA's sales. How can you defend that? It's really kind of childish and it's going to come back to haunt them one day.
Adam Smith

Edited: 07/14/09 12:15 PM
From droplogic:

"Dana White is known to put contracts in front of people who if they have any bargaining power or leverage promptly turn down, those who feel they have no choice sign the dotted line. Dana storms EA offices and tells them (in his infinite stupidity) that he holds all the chips and in order for them to make a respectable MMA game they have to sign with the UFC, afterall, it is the worlds leading MMA organization and holds exclusive lifetime likeness rights to most-if not all-of it's fighters. Dana presents a deal to EA that they immediately want to renegotiate and Dana White says no, he takes his legos and goes home. Enter THQ: Struggling Video game makerTHQ accepts the bullying knowing that if they do not sign the deal with Dana White they wouldn't have the legitimacy or resources to negotiate likeness with several independant fighters, the deal makes them a bit of money and in the end puts them back on the shelf with a largely recognizable brand name behind the title.

We have a winner.

Brace for:

"Yeah, well Dana is just doing what is good for business, just like all business men do..you hater" and similiar drivel.
The Notorious OMG
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

weakpoint -
droplogic - Stopped reading after "According to Dana White".
Actually Lorenzo Fertitta said the same thing. Who give a fuck what a guy that joined EA 2 years ago has to say when this incident took place 3 years ago. He wasn't even in EA back then and of course he'll say anything to make EA look good.

Q. If a fighter signs with EA Sports, will they be banned from the UFC?

Fertitta: "There is no such thing as banned, but this is something that does get under my skin and Dana's skin because when we had the opportunity to go out and build a video game who do you think the first people we called was? EA Sports… We sat in the room with them and I would have cut a worse deal just to be with EA Sports. I wanted them so bad. They looked at them and they told us they didn't think MMA was a sport. This was three years ago. They said the UFC was irrelevant and that we were wasting their time. So we went down the street and did a deal with THQ and they thought MMA was a sport. So we stick with the guys who stick with us. Now the UFC video game has been a massive success with three million copies sold. And guess what EA wants to do? They want to do an MMA game now… If you are young fighter coming up, it just makes sense to stay under the umbrella of UFC companies, sponsors and marketing to ensure yourself a cut of the action for the rest of your life."

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/jul/11/ufc-co-owner-addresses-fans-expo/

that's a good response he gave but what about guys who fight elsewhere, haven't been in the UFC for a long time, fight in Dream etc.

if they could figure out a way to sort of "get back" at EA for telling them to get lost 3 years ago, without it affecting fighters' futures who really have nothing to do with it, that would be ideal.
7/14/09 11:52 AM
droplogic

weakpoint - 

Wow, you like to ASSUME very much and you think you know it all, maybe just STFU because you're wrong.
Sure I made an assumption, based on past evidence and intuition.  You assert your position based on the word of people who have consistantly told half truths and sometimes flat out lied about their business dealings, they use bullying to negotiate one sided deals and draconian punishments for people who do not do what they want.  Open your eyes.

7/14/09 11:55 AM
Mad Xyientist

According to Zuffa, Zuffa did everything right and it's all EA's fault. Shocking.
7/14/09 12:00 PM
grafzep
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A tepid response
7/14/09 12:05 PM
Meohfumado
325 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Moore said he's seen code? Perhaps they do have a build put together.

Now I'm thinking EA told off the UFC (or whatever happened where the talks broke down), but as they are known to do, still went about putting together stuff for a MMA game to compete with whatever Zuffa and THQ put out.

UFC and EA...two extremely cutthroat businesses. I don't know if I can believe what either says....
7/14/09 12:08 PM
kungfugrip
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oddly EA comes off as well spoken professionals and Dana sounds like a loud mouth idiot
7/14/09 12:15 PM
Meohfumado
325 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kungfugrip - Oddly EA comes off as well spoken professionals and Dana sounds like a loud mouth idiot

Well...EA has done much to remove their "Evil Empire" stigma they had for a long while.

Now that title has been inherited by their bigger rival...
7/14/09 12:20 PM
weakpoint

UG News - Note he mentions "respect for the organizations and individuals that have invested in the sport's growth over the past decade", without once addressing White's and the UFC's allegations that EA are showing anything but respect.
No shit they didn't address Dana or UFC. What are they suppose to say?

"Uh yeah, 3 years ago some guys came to our office and we told them to fuck off because MMA isn't a sport and UFC is irrelevant, stop wasting our time"

No, instead they got a PR guy that didn't even work at EA back then to give some bullshit speech how he's been a fan since UFC 1 or whatever. Just makes me roll my eyes reading that bullshit.
7/14/09 12:28 PM
nofatchicks

kungfugrip - Oddly EA comes off as well spoken professionals and Dana sounds like a loud mouth idiot

I wish Dana was more like other heads of major sporting leagues, you know, rehearsed, filtered, polished, untouchable by the fans. I much prefer corporate speak over hearing someone talk like their sitting at the bar stool next to me. Corporate America needs more bs artists, imo.

In reality, Dana sounds like an "FU, I'm doing it my way because it's working and if you want to come along for the ride, come on, if not, I will crush you". I've worked for and with guys like that and I respect it.

Not a paid poster but will happily take some dough for doing what I do for free.
7/14/09 12:39 PM
anunaki
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

im sorry, but this game will only be great for the Hardcore fan..

...Tuf noobs will never buy this shit, because they can be ryan bader or whoever their favorite tuf fighter is...

Randy and Gina will only get them so far...they are officially fucked and will lose their collective ass on this venture...

The ufc is the 1000 lb gorilla in this game.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.