UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Recommend good steak recipe for picky eater

7/14/09 5:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
KurtC
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok recently i've been getting really into the habit of grilling\frying steak properly. i've got the basic technique pretty much down for my taste. as mentioned its a very very basic technique i've got in that i season and cook the thing (recently a piece of sirloin) and serving it up with a few chips or something.

what i want to do is get recipes or techniques to try one so i can enjoy cooking and eating it. i've picked up a nice looking rib eye steak and am going to throw together some beer battered chips, and i want it to be the best thing ive ever tasted but im pretty untalented in the kitchen and quite picky when it comes to food. so any recipes or techniques the OG has would be appreciated.

just so you know i like my steak medium-well cooked and have a basic grill oven and hob get up in the kitchen.

cheers!
7/14/09 5:44 PM
slo ko
749 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

beef
7/14/09 5:47 PM
mtnbikeking
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

check out foodtv.com

medium well is WAY overcooked.
7/14/09 5:48 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1749 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread actually made me angry
7/14/09 5:48 PM
microbiologynerd
933 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

medium at most, salt + pepper, sear each side in cast iron skillet, put a tbsp butter on it and finish in oven
7/14/09 5:51 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1749 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

7/14/09 5:52 PM
Punchatoula
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2JupitersTooMany - This thread actually made me angry

I was angry when he said he ate perfectly good steak with chips. Then I remembered he lived and I was cool.

There is nothing wrong with medium-well.

I don't want the damn thing crawling off my plate.
7/14/09 6:01 PM
KurtC
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol jesus sorry folks!!! well if you dont like how i have it then just recommend something else to have it with!

oh and by chips i mean fries....

i do it medium well cos a bright red steak is a pretty unappetising sight for me to be honest. tho if you can give me some magical way to make it look good i'll give it a go
7/14/09 6:03 PM
KurtC

microbiologynerd -  medium at most, salt + pepper, sear each side in cast iron skillet, put a tbsp butter on it and finish in oven

interesting... for how long on each step?
7/14/09 6:05 PM
sadic1
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Medium well? Holy shit, are you British or something?
7/14/09 6:09 PM
sadic1
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

salt, pepper, garlic power, and Worcestershire. Also, when it's almost done, melt some butter and bleu cheese on it.
7/14/09 6:12 PM
westernwarrior
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/14/09 6:12 PM
This video covers the cast iron skillet to oven method quite well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KrjeJDNKUA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiQ0VOJmCbg

For chips remember that the best chips are fried twice. fry them once at 325 F for a few minutes until they are cooked but not browned. Pull them out, let them cool, then coat them in your batter and fry them again at 375 until they get brown and crispy.
7/14/09 6:14 PM
KurtC

sadic1 - Medium well? Holy shit, are you British or something?

lol...yes

Heineken Man - 
step 1. get a good cut from a good butcher
step 2. buy woodchips- mesquite, hickory, whatever
step 3. use a charcoal grill
step 4. put a little bit of a good rub on the steaks
step 5. put a couple handfulls of woodchips on coals or in smoke box once coals are hot.
step 6. put steak on grill, turn once, 10 minute cooktime for medium temp
step 7. enjoy the best home cooked steak ever

step 1: ok
step 2: what is mesquite?
step 3: i told you what i have and its not a charcoal grill
step 4: what is "good rub" thats what i need to know
step 5: smoke box?
step 6: ok that bit i get
step 7: i need to conquer steps 2 though 5 first

i live in britain folks, we arent crazy for bbq or outside grilling here and the kinda specific stuff i know you yanks are into isnt readily available in any of the places i go shopping, and i wouldnt know where to go
7/14/09 6:14 PM
Ridgeback

Switch to medium rare.  You will love the taste ten times more. 

One method I use for a quick oven thing is as follows.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.  Place cast iron skillet or all metal frying pan in oven.

Prep the steak by brushing on a light coating of olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper.

Once the oven is fully warm put a burner on high and move the skillet to the top of the burner.

Put steak in skillet and let sit for 30 seconds.  Use tongs to handle it, not a fork. (note, i usually
move the steak around a bit right at first to spread the oil to the skillet and prevent sticking).

Flip steak and let sit for another 30 seconds.

Flip steak again and place in oven using the same skillet.

Let steak cook for 2 minutes each side then remove and let it sit in foil for another full two minutes.

The 2 minute cook time is for medium rare so you can go a little over, but I wouldn't do more than 3 minutes a side.

This is called "pan seared" ribeye and works well if you don't have a grill.
7/14/09 6:24 PM
KurtC

Ridgeback -  Switch to medium rare.  You will love the taste ten times more. 

One method I use for a quick oven thing is as follows.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.  Place cast iron skillet or all metal frying pan in oven.

Prep the steak by brushing on a light coating of olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper.

Once the oven is fully warm put a burner on high and move the skillet to the top of the burner.

Put steak in skillet and let sit for 30 seconds.  Use tongs to handle it, not a fork. (note, i usually
move the steak around a bit right at first to spread the oil to the skillet and prevent sticking).

Flip steak and let sit for another 30 seconds.

Flip steak again and place in oven using the same skillet.

Let steak cook for 2 minutes each side then remove and let it sit in foil for another full two minutes.

The 2 minute cook time is for medium rare so you can go a little over, but I wouldn't do more than 3 minutes a side.

This is called "pan seared" ribeye and works well if you don't have a grill.

thats pretty good, basically how i do it but with the oven thrown in too, any suggestion as to an extra sauce or seasoning i can add to it?
7/14/09 6:26 PM
sol manila
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rufus - just so you know i like my steak medium-well cooked

WTF!!!!  Don't you dare do that to an innocent ribeye.

very correct
7/14/09 6:29 PM
Nelson

KurtC - 
just so you know i like my steak medium-well cooked
cheers!

you heathenous bastid....i hope someone guides you in the right direction...
7/14/09 6:31 PM
microbiologynerd
933 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KurtC - 
microbiologynerd -  medium at most, salt + pepper, sear each side in cast iron skillet, put a tbsp butter on it and finish in oven

interesting... for how long on each step?

more or less what ridgeback has posted.

cast iron skillet - medium-high heat, add some olive oil to pan, preheat oven to 500 degrees or set on broil

season each side of steak with sea salt  +pepper

cook each side 2-3 min on stove

put a tablespoon of butter on top of steak, throw whole skillet in oven. cook ~ 4-5 minutes while salivating heavily.

have a beer, fondle wife while salivating

remove steak from oven, transfer to a plate and cover with foil,.

let sit 2 minutes, continue fondling wife.

enjoy steak, post pics of wife in tapout
7/14/09 6:35 PM
microbiologynerd

the seasoning is your call- a good rub i use is

1 tbsp sea salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tbsp brown sugar

with steak- less is more. salt + pepper should be all you need
7/14/09 7:15 PM
Zonion
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for future reference.
7/14/09 8:26 PM
Rand McPherson
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Heineken Man - step 1. get a good cut from a good butcher
step 2. buy woodchips- mesquite, hickory, whatever
step 3. use a charcoal grill
step 4. put a little bit of a good rub on the steaks
step 5. put a couple handfulls of woodchips on coals or in smoke box once coals are hot.
step 6. put steak on grill, turn once, 10 minute cooktime for medium temp
step 7. enjoy the best home cooked steak ever

i read this on another thread, and think its pretty lame. get a steak, put stuff on it, find a miracle in woodchips (very original) then cook it for 10 mins, which woulod vary based on size of steak, grill temp, etc. i would hardly say "best ever"
7/14/09 8:27 PM
samichlaus
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Steak au Poivre

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2005

Prep Time:
8 min
Inactive Prep Time:
30 min
Cook Time:
15 min
Level:
Intermediate
Serves:
4 servings

Ingredients

• 4 tenderloin steaks, 6 to 8 ounces each and no more than 1 1/2 inches thick
  • Kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons whole peppercorns
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1/3 cup Cognac, plus 1 teaspoon
  • 1 cup heavy cream

Directions

Remove the steaks from the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour prior to cooking. Sprinkle all sides with salt.

Coarsely crush the peppercorns with a mortar and pestle, the bottom of a cast iron skillet, or using a mallet and pie pan. Spread the peppercorns evenly onto a plate. Press the fillets, on both sides, into the pepper until it coats the surface. Set aside.

In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and olive oil. As soon as the butter and oil begin to turn golden and smoke, gently place the steaks in the pan. For medium-rare, cook for 4 minutes on each side. Once done, remove the steaks to a plate, tent with foil and set aside. Pour off the excess fat but do not wipe or scrape the pan clean.

Off of the heat, add 1/3 cup Cognac to the pan and carefully ignite the alcohol with a long match or firestick. Gently shake pan until the flames die. Return the pan to medium heat and add the cream. Bring the mixture to a boil and whisk until the sauce coats the back of a spoon, approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Add the teaspoon of Cognac and season, to taste, with salt. Add the steaks back to the pan, spoon the sauce over, and serve.

10/10/09 5:12 PM
demandango
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i used to only eat medium well when i was young because i didn't like the look of the red either, but medium rare tastes much better. eat it in the dark so you can't see the red- candle light. it works.

i made this before, it was amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy0yCaj2vN0

here's how it's done on an outdoor grill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwV4FV0FIbM

i much prefer the flavour of striploin or sirloin over ribeye, but to each their own.
10/10/09 5:12 PM
demandango
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i used to only eat medium well when i was young because i didn't like the look of the red either, but medium rare tastes much better. eat it in the dark so you can't see the red- candle light. it works.

i made this before, it was amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy0yCaj2vN0

here's how it's done on an outdoor grill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwV4FV0FIbM

i much prefer the flavour of striploin or sirloin over ribeye, but to each their own.
10/13/09 9:11 AM
shibbytastic
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i read this on another thread, and think its pretty lame. get a steak, put stuff on it, find a miracle in woodchips (very original) then cook it for 10 mins, which woulod vary based on size of steak, grill temp, etc. i would hardly say "best ever"

You buy expensive cuts of beef so you don't have to fuck with them using complex cooking techniques. Sometimes it's better to let the ingredients do the work.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.